How come I can't clear coast to coast consistently?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SSSSNT, Mar 12, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ to be able to hit the bird
    1. squarely
    2. in the sweetspot
    3. while pronating the forearm
    4. and extending the arm
    is asking a lot for someone to coordinate...
    but that is what's called technique ;)

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Are you sure? Your forearm grip is definitely wrong then.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Perhaps, or like Cheung said there must be an angle involved, but the angle (the racquet being not parallel to the net) is well before the contact with the shuttle, and after the contact. If there is an angle after the contact, it does not matter. If it influences the shuttles' trajectory, it must be because your contact with the shuttle is to slow. That is, you do not concentrate the speed, the muscle contraction, at the right time.
    but there are fair chances that you grip is not correct when you miss your clear.

4. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

I actually do not miss the clear. I get a good boom sound when i hit it right on the sweetspot, and i can clear from near the baseline to the baseline( i use slow mavis 350). And i have inititally concentrated a lot on getting the grip right (holding it (mainly) with your fingers, placing the "V" near the diagonal bevel for the basic grip, tightening of the grip on impact etc), so i think im getting the grip right. I even hit the shuttle where i want to. I think you are right about me not being able to concentrate the speed and muscle contraction right.
    Thanks everyone for pointing out possible mistakes. Ill try to keep these in mind the next time i hit the courts. Thanks again :D

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hi renbo,

Just like to clarify your previous comment

Pronation, by definition, means turning outwards. So there must be a change of angle and the racquet cannot be flat (I presume face on to the net) all the time.

The act of pronation is the racquet face inwards and turning outwards. At the point of striking the shuttle, the racquet is facing forward and then continues in motion facing outwards.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Very much so. But in the movement I would say the last half of the swing involves no angles. At least that is the way I do it!
    Now that I do the swing in my living room so to analyse it, I come to realize that the OP's problem is perhaps not hitting the shuttle with an almost 90° angle, but something like 75°, thus giving a brushing sound unstead of a "pop", clear and crisp, and thus loosing most of the stenght of the shot. It is something I have noticed with a great number of players

7. melforge

melforge Regular Member

senior designer
    what is forearm pronation..i think am lost at the middle of the thread that i read..pls tell me or pm me..

8. visor

visor Regular Member

9. betazone

betazone Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6qFJoySf8
    i know it is not exactly relevant (smash) but this is very useful
    -Not a power stroke, more of a technique.
    -Apply force diagonally, not vertically. This is achieved by following through.
    -Smashing can be broken down into 4 steps:
    1. Ready position--1:03
    2. Form a straight line with your arms and the path of the bird -- 1:05
    3. Bend your elbow, letting the racket fall behind you-- 1:07
    4. Swing with body turn. -- 1:08

10. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

This sounds like the problem to me, it used to happen when I bent my wrist forward to hit clears/smashes, but after fixing my technique, it never happened to me. It is like slicing under the shuttle slightly, which diffuses power at the contact point

11. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    cannot agree more.....

12. yangwenli

yangwenli Regular Member

did some clear drills today i was very in-consistence, but these r what i learned:

1. If you dont relax your body and muscles, u tend to hit with strength and arm which u generate less power!

2. You have to hit shuttle at the highest point of your arm+racket can reach, of you swing circle.

3. Force yourself to use the usually unnatural to all people, V natural grip!

4. Only relaxing everything before impact can losen your racket and have it drop down behind you at the back swing, which generate effortless power.

5. Pronate, or "snap" at the very point of impact, pretty much its the only point u hold tight and be tense onto your racket

6. Again grip grip grip, your brain always wants to trick you to use panhandle grip! try to fight your brain and understand the basic mechanic!

Sounds all obvious and easy but try to do it in a rally or drill or game involved totally different mentality. Just relax and believe your practice!

13. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Could be couple of factors

One of the biggest ones is not moving behind the shuttle. You need to move behind the shuttle quick enough to have more forward movement into the shuttle to force it to the back

Could also be other things like grip, technique, pronation, not hitting the sweetspot of the racket...

Definitely has nothing to do with the racket that's for sure