New racket is harder to use

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ruffdog64, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    Hi all, to start with i`m a beginner and originally got myself a £20.00 carlton racket from sports direct and played with it for a couple of weeks, but then went out and got a yonex arc saber 8dx and found this to be harder to use, now i appreciate my lack of experience may account for this but my thinking was get something better and get used to playing with that, has anyone some thought on what may be happening please? Thanks Harvey

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if you are a beginner, the arc8dx is probably more than what you need. while using the racket, make sure you are focusing more on your training, so that your technique and form are correct. when you improve on your technique, the way you play will improve drastically. also, you might find it hard to use because you're not used to it. but please explain what you meant by "harder to use".

3. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    It seems the shuttlecock falls off the racket on net shots and on back court shots it lacks power, again some of this could well be my lack of technique but not totally in my opinion

4. phili

phili Regular Member

From what I've heard the Arc 8dx is super stiff which is not that great for beginners. You need good technique and strength to handle really stiff rackets.

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    i agree, also what kind of string you have at what tension? that is also important. what do you have on the carlton?

6. sarath_031

sarath_031 Regular Member

Student

As gundamzaku said, arc8dx is an extra-stiff racquet and for people having a high and explosive swing. I also wanted to buy arc8dx and i can be considered as an intermediate player but many fellow members of BC said that it was a terrible idea. I tried arc8dx strung with BG66UM at 26lbs and it was hard to smash. It was too stiff for me. I bought a voltric 7 and i am using it with BG65 at 26lbs and it is a med-stiff racquet and i am able to wield it and i must say that it is beautiful. And again as gundamzaku said, correct technique, correct grip and footwork improve your game in a very high manner. i am sorry for writing too much, but in one sentence, i will say focus on your technique and if possible get a medium stiff or a stiff racquet and if you want to improve your shots, you can do it by increasing tension and after a few days try your arc8dx.

7. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    Sorry i cant help on either they are how they come ftom the factory

8. gundamzaku

working professional
    what do you mean by "they are how they come from the factory"? who's "they"?

9. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    They being the rackets, string tension is how the rackets come from the factory i havent had them restrung

10. gundamzaku

working professional
    oh i see, in that case it could be one of the main reason why it's difficult. can you tell what kind of string it is. and by pressing on the string bed, is it a lot harder than the string bed of your carlton?

11. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    I have tried to test the difference but cant really tell

12. gundamzaku

working professional
    if you can't really tell the diff then most probably is the racket stiffness that makes it difficult for you

13. gundamzaku

working professional
    you might not get a whole lot of power at first with the 8dx, but when you start to adjust your swing speed, you'll eventually find your groove and begin to hit harder. however, the touch shots like drops should be super precise considering the racket has a super stiff shaft. barely any flex, so if you're missing your drop shots and net drop shots, that's on you.

14. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    To be honest this is probably more of the problem me not hitting hard enough i always try to have a soft touch near the net

15. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    first of all, arcsaber 8dx is not for beginners, imo, the same goes to intermediate players...
    it's extra stiff shaft....
    it's made for advance players who have trained body and muscles and have a very good technique....
    if you want to use the racket, train your arm and wrist, your footwork and your technique.....

16. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.