Let's conclude it, Lin Dan is the best MS baddy player in human history.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Wong8Egg, Mar 9, 2009.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    technique is a very loosey goosey term. It can basically cover everything under the badminton sun:D

Power vs Technique

LD uses an enhanced AT700 and LCW uses AT900 Power

Taufik uses AT900 Technique. (now ArcS 10)

whose's winning lately?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    omg. i expect less hollow an argument from cooler than that.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i was just kitten/cat scratching the surface. Will prefer debate in detail in the appropriate threads:D As observed by most other members here, power is becoming a stronger desirable skill for today's singles and doubles. I can't go further in discussing this issue if we use the broad term better technique. Footwork is related to technique which lead to both speed and energy efficiency. Therefore, Technique embody subset skills of speed from footwork and energy management (stamina). and body/muscle coordination to extract more power and accuracy and deception from racket stroke skills. What we need is to compare and debate each of these skills at its core components. In my long debate with viver, my main point is that more speed is more desirable than having more stroke skills but he was so dazzled by some of old greats i can't shake him off that:D.

From a pro player point of view, it is often said by them that speed difference give them the win or lost. On the flip side, if one ask the audience which players played better, they will say the one with the better and fancy stroke and deception. Now, is viver talking from a spectator or a pro player point of view????? that is why i pressed him for a positon from him, then i'd know where he is coming from:p

#123 cooler, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  4. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Power vs. technique

To compare technique vs. power, I suggest a thought experiment a la Einstein's:
    To compare whether player A relies more on power to win player B, let's say both players take a drug before a match that reduces their maximum muscle power output by 50%. If the difference (say point difference) is narrowed between A and B, or B wins over A now, then player A relies more on power than B.

Why does it mean? For amateurs, they may actually have only 50% (or 70%, whatever) of power output of pros. If they mimic A style, they may win less despite A wins B more frequently. They will win more plyaing B style b/c they can compensate lack of power with technique at their level.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's much more substantiated an argument than the previous one. thanks . :)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i try not to go off topic too much u know;):D

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

#128 cooler, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I can't believe you never commented in that thread!

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

maybe because the thread title wasn't that catchy;)

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

Those were the days before the word LD or LCW was included as a staple in thread titles.........

12. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    too primitive. A player like LD impressed on millions of players, changed their thinking, built new rules, promoted a sport itself to new levels.
    Is it smth you need to listen again? I think everyone knows enough about this.
    All titles are just the acknowledgement who is who.

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I believe what I said is, that one game shows ZJH has no difficulty playing at a pace of 1997's badminton. Thus refuting your claim that any top 10 can beat ZJH because the speed today is faster.

Also I think we should clarify one thing. Since we are comparing players, we have to allow ZJH to use state-of-the-art equipments, which means ZJH will immediately be able to play faster than in the 1985 video. Or, we can give LD a 1985 racket with 27-28 lb string and see how fast a game he can play.

When watching the 1985 video, I think what we should concentrate on is the physical ability of the players. Just look at how agile ZJH is when moving around the court, look at how fast he can react, how quickly he can move/jump, and then take a look at any game of today's TH, Persson, PG move. I don't see much difference (in fact I think ZJH in 1985 is better).

I am not sure how many people with agree that PG in 2006 is a stronger player than PG in 1999. ;) Don't forget that PG's style is more Asian than European.

I don't get your point of using 40 yr olds as examples. Do you mean a 25 yr old ZJH has physical ability similar to a 40 yr old player today? If that's the case, in 30 years we will see supermen flying around badminton courts. :D

My opinion is the following. What has improved a lot, is a player's ability to play several consecutive matches. Therefore if ZJH came and play a tournament today, he may not be able to go very far. But as long as we are talk about a "prime vs prime" duel, I would put ZJH just below LD/LCW today.

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Not all players today rely on speed and power. Players like LHI and PSH never reply on speed and power, and they can still beat LD and LCW once a while. To say that any top 10 players can crush YY and ZJH... :rolleyes:

15. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

You are right. 2 WC 2nd place for Frost.

16. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

If they mated

Anyone has a software to merge the faces of Lin Dan and Xie Xingfang together? It'll be cool kinda like the Late Night with Conan O'Brien Show.
    eg. http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Late_Night_with_Conan_OBrien/iftheymated/

I mean if Lin Dan and Xie Xingfang mated, their offspring will have super badminton genes, kinda like Steffi Graf/Andre Agassi pairing for tennis. :D

Imagined how many titles their son or daughter will win. :eek:

17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    If Lin and Xie have offsprings, they probably will direct them to play tennis instead of badminton... Lin Dan had been complaining a lot about the lack of progress in paydays in badminton. Even though badminton techniques have vastly improved, the pay hasn't... Tennis is way better than badminton in terms of creating well-paying careers for their children... :eek:

#137 Krisna, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  18. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

this is very shallow-minded thought. if everyone thinks like this, then forever high-profile sports will be limited to golf, tennis, basketball, etc. these are also the sports dat westerners dominate. now is rise of asians. sports that we excel in will be more high profile with better viewership = more sponsors = more monetary support. anyway, point is...support whichever sport u fell in love with. dun juz look at the money. if u r good, the rewards will come.

19. k_sakic

k_sakic Regular Member

20. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

3 consecutive WC titles.

This thread deserve a bump. :D