Stringbed frequency to monitor string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by visor, Feb 27, 2013.

1. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Then just search for "tuner" on app store. There are a few free ones but iirc they were not consistent in their readings.

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Question: if, for example, I have zm70 and zm62 and I like the 70 at 3lbs higher for the same feel. Will these ring at the same frequency given the different tensions? What I'm getting at is can you pick any string and string it by frequency to get the feel you want? Need to Re read this thread.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Another question: What tension are we verifying here?

Not everyone strings with 1lb difference between the mains and the crosses. Some string with 2-3lb difference, some with no difference.

So my question as to what tension we are verifying relates to whether we are trying to gauge what the highest tension is (crosses) or are we trying to gauge the median tension, a combination of the main and cross tension?

If someone who strings with say 3lb difference, would that have a bearing on the accuracy of the results? Could say a 30lb tension sound like it is 28lb for example?

Also, on another point, it might be worth noting whether the racquets are strung using 1-piece or 2-piece method?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

From my experience, yes, to some degree. Btw that's more like 4 lb difference between zm62 and zm70.

As I mentioned earlier, the string frequency is solely dependent on tension and linear density. Hence a lighter (read thinner) string will have a higher frequency.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string

But if comparing a soft feel vs a hard feel string (eg. bg65 vs bg80), then if going for feel alone, then this may not be valid. For me, even comparing same series, like zm62 and zm70 in your example, I'd still prefer zm62 at any tension lower than zm70 simply due to how much repulsion and feel the thinner string has.

So the short answer is, it depends. :) But generally, yes, stringing to the same frequency is a good start to compare strings and tension.

#105 visor, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

I understand your point.

From my experience, 1 or 2 piece doesn't matter. What's more important is electronic constant pull (ECP) machine and stringer skill, ie clamps and knots not slipping.

Re cross and main differential, that's why I started out by specifying cross and main tension, but somehow got lazy as others started using only the cross... assuming that there is a 1-3 lbs differential. I don't think anyone strings without a differential.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I would tend to agree. But over the years there has been a lot of discussion on whether 2 knot or 4 gives the better tension hold etc. And given that you are requesting results taken a little while after stringing, which would give the stringbed time to settle, it may reveal something interesting?

There are actually some people who string without a differential iirc. I don't personally, but again it's another subject of discussion that I've read before. Kwun I think may have some knowledge on this.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Recently I've started using "square" tensions, but only using the ECP prestretch on the crosses. Two reasons:

a) I think 31 + 10%PS is taking my NS30 past its elastic limit - there's a very big jump in power when I use 31 without 10%PS compared to 31 with it, and the mains are subject to all of the prestretch as there's no cross friction,

b) Prestretching the crosses overcomes more of the friction than a "plain pull".

I tried a fresh 30/30PS the other week - as in I had to go home in the middle of a session to string it because I broke all my strings - and it was brilliant.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Interesting. But that's still effectively +1 to 2 lbs to the cross depending on how well or poor the mains hold the original tension.

Lol, driving home to string a racket mid session... now that's some serious dedication to the sport. :)

10. blableblibloblu

student
    Let's take a minute of silence for those strings that Mark never breaks :p

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Roflmao
    :D

#111 visor, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  12. blableblibloblu

student
    Well I ended up forgetting to take more frequencies and I've played with the string already...
    But I'll have to string 2 of my racquets next week so I'll go for zm62 and bg65

13. blableblibloblu

student
    Alright so I changed my mind and decided to do BG80 vs VS850 at the same tension on the same racquet model, strung one after another.

It's been nearly 2 days now and I was wondering how you guys (mainly [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]) would like me to keep this going. Do you just want me to let them sit some more (see which one is the best after say 2 weeks unplayed) or compare after 1-2 sessions after the 3rd and 4th day?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Probably the latter would be more practical and realistic. Tks!

15. blableblibloblu

student
    Alright so here are the results I've got so far.
    In case you're a little obsessive, here are the details... BG80 (yellow) vs VS850 (white), both strung at 29 lbs (10% prestretch on the WISE) on two 3U MXJJS the same day, one after another.
    frequencies.jpg

So far, it's not very conclusive (yes VS850 has lost a little more but it's nothing special). There are 3 options:
    -The VS850 will start to drop like crazy from now on
    -I'm a very bad stringer
    -People tend to exagerate with tension loss, especially when it comes to VS850 or how the zymaxes are amazing are retaining tension when IME they're no better than other strings. It puzzles me how someone can seriously say he has used a racket for over a month and that the frequency didn't change one bit when it'd clearly drop by itself anyways and a good 10hz per playing session

I'll keep filling that table the next time I play. Oh and it's interesting to note that there was nearly a 30hz difference between the two strings at the same tension.

#115 blableblibloblu, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Here a riddle for the string tension nerds.;)

MX80 pings at 1080 Hz with BG80 after 4 month. Which was the tension for that I asked? A hint: no prestretch.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've heard that Victor Japan has gone back to the drawing board with the VS850 in an attempt to correct the tension-loss issue, so I very much doubt it's in all of our heads:).

18. visor

visor Regular Member

That'd be awesome if they could find a way to fix that!

19. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm going to be smarter this time by giving a wider range ;) ... I'll say 27-29 lbs assuming you play with it 2-4 hrs per wk.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've said many times that the tension loss is the only fly in that particular ointment. If it could be nailed down... move over, NS30.