New Grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by toomanyracquets, Mar 20, 2010.

1. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    sorry for reviving this thread but I have some things to ask

I'm about to get grommets from mbs (just buying two types and shorten them if needed) and a lot of you have been talking about type A and C, but I was wondering which are the MBS equivalents because the types available there are B,C,E,F,I
    looking at the diameters, I assumed it would be type C and I but I just want to make sure

2. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    On this subject, how tight should grommets be? I have the smallest ones from W&D (2.1mm iirc) and on yonex frames they are really hard to push in all the way, to the point that i sometimes have to shave a little bit off the grommet to get them to fit.

The last time i strung a YY frame i had to replace all of the single pass grommets, and after stringing they've pulled out a little, so that the flange isn't flush with the frame, so i'm going to have to restring and push them in more somehow.

3. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

"A" has a diameter of 2.1 mm, and "C" is 2.6 mm. These two are the most common ones. Not sure the equivalent from MBS, but you can use that to compare.

4. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    thank you very much, this confirms that I on MBS is like A

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    they are usually from very snug to quite tight. but never so tight that it requires either a tool or shaving to make them fit.

in other words, they are the right fit if:

- it is not so loose that it falls out on its own, and
    - you can push it into the grommet hole with bare hands (without hurting yourself)

6. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Hmm, i definately can't get them in with only my fingers, need at least the handle of an awl, but it's only on yonex frames it would seem. I also noticed on the grommets 4 bits that stick out a little, i woder if they're supposed to squash down when the grommet is inserted?

Unless YY frames need smaller grommets than others, or this batch i have were made a little too big i'm at a loss.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    an experiment to do would be try take out the neighboring original Yonex grommet and see if they also fit so tightly. and then on top of that, measure their size if you have the appropriate caliper to do so.

8. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Ok, i measured one of the removed yonex grommets with a digital caliper at between 2.06 and 2.09mm depending on how hard i gripped it. The new ones rated at 2.1mm (from W&D Strings) come out to exactly 2.1mm ... but here's the kicker, they've got these little veins that put it up to about 2.2mm:

grommet.jpg

I'm guessing that they are designed to squish down into themselves to make them more secure in the frame?

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. it looks like it.

but it does look like Yonex's grommet are less than 2.1mm.

i have noticed that with recent Yonex rackets with single pass grommets hole, it does take some effort to insert the MBS grommets into the hole. i will measure the size of the MBS grommets when i get home tonight.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have two types of grommet that i got from MBS.

they measure 2.55mm and 2.09mm