apacs Tantrum500 International

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by zero_hour, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

Right guys n gals, just had my first session with the Tantrum 500! I had it strung with BG66 at 28lbs! Couldn't resist trying out a higher tension. Normally play with about 26lbs.

I gotta say its a pretty amazing racket. The graphics are very catching. From the moment u pick it up, it feels very light. When you swing the racket, it feels fast, even though it is a 3U racket (probably from the super thin shaft). It is very easy to use. No timing issues at all. Reminds me of light rackets like the nanospeed 9900. Did feel some vibration, probably not used to having such high string tension :p, but not bad.

Unfortunately, I've never used the Tantrum 200 nor 300, so I can't compare the feel. I normally don't like using head heavy rackets for doubles. I've tried the Voltric 80 and my Armor Muscle Pro 90 but find them too slow in defence, even though they are great for power smashing ^_^ The T500 is a little longer than my Ti-10 (2nd gen) and feels much lighter but I can still feel the slight head heavy balance.

Power: 8to8.5/10 Being balanced and slightly head heavy, the smashes are still powerful even if they don't boom like some other rackets. However, when you hit the sweet spot, you can still rain destruction and your arms don't get as tired. Once I got used to the high string tension, I was able to smash quite well.

Control: 9/10 The head is very stable on hitting. The new T-throat joint seems to be very effective at reducing the twist of the head. The shots go where you want them to. It is quite easy to aim for the line when smashing, and its effortless doing deceptive shots and net shots from the baseline as well as around the net. Much better than the Ti-10 for net shots. I was quite surprised at how easy it is to do spinning net shots.

Defence: 9.5/10 Very good for defence. The speed of the racket can easily send smashes back and return steep drops back to the base line.

Easy of use/Manuverability: 9.5/10 A very nice racket to play with. The mid-stiff flex and the thin shaft makes it a dream to use. Sounds like how the Voltric 70 plays (from what I read in the forums & reviews). Off centre shots are definitely very forgiving. Definitely a lot less demanding then my Ti-10 and AMP90. It has quickly replaced my trusty Ti-10 as my main doubles racket. Does pretty well in singles too.

Overall: 9/10
    Truly, another master class from APACS. A joy to use.

I think GaryC summed it up pretty well.
    Can't wait for the next session!

p/s: I wonder how it compares to a Voltric 70... as well as the other APACS rackets, old and newer releases.
    The Voltric 70, Slayer 88, Tantrum 500 (and I'm sure many more) are I think similar is some respects i.e: Head heavy and medium-stiff flex and light weight. too bad I can't afford to buy and test them all ^_^

2. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    i noticed that T200 is easier to use and lighter than T500. do you find the same too?

3. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Unfortunately my experience with the Tantrum 500 after three game sessions has not been quite favourable. I bought mine just before the New Year strung at 28 lbs with BG-66 coupled with a tacky Babolat overgrip. I think the biggest issue I noticed with mine is vibration, and this new racket certainly does not feel as formidable or as powerful as my older Tantrum 300 (by far one of the best rackets I've used). Physically it's almost a clone of my VT-80 but the performance between the two is like night and day, with the VT-80 surpassing it in almost every respect. Perhaps I got a bad sample, but I am thinking of selling this racket at some point. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and try other string combinations first.

4. DocfcRn

DocfcRn Regular Member

Physician
    Hi to all,

I can say I am in between intermediate to advance player, I am currently using RSL X3 Diamond Silver for the past 1 year, I play mostly doubles. I am planning to buy and shift to Tantrum 500. Any advice from most of you professionals out there?

Thanks.

5. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Hi Voltric:

There are very big differences between the T500 and the VT80. The T500 is med-stiff while the VT80 is supposed to be stiff. The T500 is more to even balance (290mm +-3 i believe?) while the VT80 is head heavy (within the 300mm range from my previous sample). Those alone will give you the performance difference you describe and I bought my T500 expecting as much.

The vibration issue you describe though makes me wonder if you do have a bad sample as my T500 is very solid and much more so than my T300 before I sold it.

6. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Damn, my T500's frame started to crack on the side and it's now it's all warped. Hoping it's covered under warranty. Not sure what happened, never clashed it but maybe a mis-hit. :(

IMG_1269.JPG

7. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

Wow... must be a bad sample. I've had a couple of clashes and some mishits on my T500 but luckily no breaks but have got some paint chips :-( Got new car syndrome, every paint chip makes me a little unhappy but at the end of the day, rackets r meant to take punishment :p

However I do feel that the T500 paintwork is much easier to chip compared with YY rackets.

8. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Ya the paint chips very easily.. I originally thought it was just a paint chip but I put the racquet on the table and it's warped.

I found another spot that has a crack developing. I'm hoping they let me claim warranty on this.

9. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

Hi DocfcRn

Your RSL sounds like a pretty good racket already and in some ways similar to the T500. However, the Tantrum is slightly head heavy so it should give you more power in smashes. Despite being head heavy the swing is still quite fast so it is still good with defence. Good luck in choosing ^_^

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    yeah, cracks is very much depending on where the impact is. Some call it luck. ;)

11. tjayuk

tjayuk Regular Member

Hey thanks for the reply - I have actually just ordered a slayer 88 now as whilst i love the tantrum sometimes i cant generate enough power. Im looking forward to trying the slayer 88 it has good reviews

12. tjayuk

tjayuk Regular Member

Hey thanks for the reply - I have actually just ordered a slayer 88 now as whilst i love the tantrum sometimes i cant generate enough power. Im looking forward to trying the slayer 88 it has good reviews

13. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    i thought the Slayer 99 is the best amongst the Slayer racket.

14. nkdinz

nkdinz Regular Member

slayer 88 is an awesome racket... love the power.. i hope you enjoy it...

irwan_kho

slayer 99 is probably a much better racket... however it is stiffer then the slayer 88... unless u can handle the stiffness.. if not slayer 88 is the way to go...

15. K3lvin1004

K3lvin1004 Regular Member

Stdent
    Hi guys ~
    Can anyone of you compare the T500 and T200 with BS11?

16. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I've seen many comparisons between T500 and T200... anything between 500 and 300? Since Apacs Canada no longer carries 200.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The T300 is an outstanding racket: excellent construction, stable, powerful, good feel. The T500 is none of these, so why it's higher in the range (and more expensive) than the 300 is completely beyond me.

For reference, the 300 is almost identical to the 200.

#77 Mark A, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  18. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I've definitely heard plenty of good things about T300. Thanks for the heads up about the 500, I won't be considering that one anymore.

19. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Mark A
    Thanks for sharing this information!
    Based on the series number, one would easily assume T500 would be a better racket than T300.

20. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

T500 is just too flexible to most poeple's liking :p