Koo Kean Keat & Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Everything is okay with this pair... it's just KKK's attitude that needs to be changed. They got all the tactics right when they kept on lifting to preventing smashes flying in at them and their defence has got better because they don't give away easy short lifts anymore.

I suspect when playing against Danish , CHN, and KOR pairs they need to change their tactics each time because arguably DEN, CHN, KOR all have different doubles playing styles. KOR is just plain fast returns and raw hard smashes. DEN pair concentrates more on winning the net so they can get the kill through smashes using their height. CHN pair is more balanced(they have defence, net play, variation in smashes,drop shots etc. ) , more like KKK/TBH.

Being a top doubles pair is really hard these days because KOR, CHN, DEN all have different but effective styles , so to be a top pair, you have to change your style each time against different countries.

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Their tactics has definitely changed but the mentality is still not on par with the other top players yet. Hence a 19-21 defeat in the rubber game.

Against the Danes, I wouldn't say it was totally luck, there were a few good rallies but they WERE lucky enough to escape the match point due to CM. Their mental strength is up and down, against the Danes they held their nerves but not against the Koreans.

KKK should try to keep things standard, or else he'll continue being inconsistent.
    TBH has to work on stamina and mental strength especially at crucial stages. I wondered if the point at 19-19, if TBH didn't shout while trying to play the drop, would the drop have crossed? lol

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

TBH got a yellow card at match point after slamming his racket softly..

4. george@chongwei

Actually, instead of keep defending and lifting up the shuttle high up for their opponent to smash, they can actually attack back using their defense .. :rolleyes: Just like many of the top pairs out there.. No idea what are they thinking about..

5. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

they plan to play like they played against thai's pair

6. george@chongwei

They should be more faster on court. Just watched their match of 2006 and 2007.. it is very fast compared to their current gameplay..

7. julianng

julianng Regular Member

That's why I said they need to change their tactics against different countries. Lifting the shuttle higher up works against the 'taller' Danish players.

But against the Koreans, they can afford to try to change defence into attack by just lifting to the front and then getting the attack mode back because the Koreans are not so deadly when lifting to the front compared to the Danes, who will just kill the shuttle easily if they lifted to the front.

8. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Honestly, comparing what they are right now and what they were back then is somehow irrational due to the differences in their tactics, mentality, discipline and stamina. To george, watch 2010 world championships final match. The tactics and pace is almost the same as 2006-2007. And after that, we all know what happen on 2011, till now

9. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

But the problem is. . . . .Tan BoooM Heong

10. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I thought the Koreans played an inspired match. Nothing to lose and made hardly any mistakes. The Malaysia pair had no answer to the speed of Yoo. Both KKK and TBH were out played in all areas. But it is probably the best they have played in a long time.

11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Psychologically, they may start to think like "nearly men" , almost there but not quite .... confident to reach semis or finals, but bombed out at the last hurdle again ....

12. koowakchai

koowakchai Regular Member

Why the problem lies with him????

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    They lost to scratch pair?

14. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Because he doesn't have much stamina for the all-out-attacking tactics anymore. Watch his recent matches. I suggest starting 2011 till now

15. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I thought TBH got KKK out of trouble a few times. From the net position KKK cover of the cross court lift was not very good. He took a few easy smashes away from TBH and made the middle gap too big. He even got in TBH way. KKK needs relearn how to play the %'s more and release TBH to attack from the base. KKK is an exceptionally talented player but his personal game has taken the wrong route into showmanship which is pushing TBH normal game out of the window.

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I think he can full smash maximum 2times before koo has to take over. Must be some injuries or illness that are not disclose to public...

17. julianng

julianng Regular Member

of course if TBH didn't shout, the shuttle will cross the net la... because the energy he use to shout convert into energy for the shuttle to cross the net.... anyway i think they lost because they squandered many chances in the 2nd and 3rd set when they were controlling the game. They lose focus after winning a few points. Also they use the same strategy they use against BoMo. They should have changed to suit the KOR pair's game.

18. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    They should stop going into defense mode just to relax and conserve energy, definitely not when playing against any Korean combo pair. It might work with younger and inexperienced players like the Thailand's Issara who lacks stamina and crafty placement in smashes.
    I seriously think that silly cross court trick shot attempt by KKK in the 3rd set cost them the game. KKK also wasted many opportunities to finish off the rally by tapping when at the net but instead he chose drop shots that the Korean were still able to reach. That gave the Koreans time to lift, relax and get back into position.

19. george@chongwei

Although Kien Keat was disappointed with missing out on his fourth Denmark Open title, he said they had performed above expectations.

“We entered the tournament without much preparation but it was good to make the final,” said Kien Keat.

I feel tired physically and mentally. We doubled our efforts in this tournament and it has taken a toll on us.”

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/10/22/sports/12207985&sec=sports

:rolleyes:

20. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

KKK might have actually lost confidence at tapping at the net, because I seen him put quite a few sitters into the net. He is the more inconsistent of the duo, but this tournament proves that if he is on his game this pair can still make a difference.

Well, they DID perform above expectations so I am not going to criticize them this time round.