Jan O Jorgensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by TedTheFarmer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. sting1988

sting1988 Regular Member

School
    All the European players start out late anyways so JOJ has more time than CJ if he could be the next PG. If JOJ could gain the amount of respect PG have during his professional career, I think that's a pretty good achievement. Doesn't have to be titles.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    ..i'm waiting for our OTB to respond abt LinDan's case and chances for 2012 OG.:cool:;)[/quote]
    Well, Chris...here it goes...:D
    If I give LD AA rating, I give LCW and CJ A rating, TH, PG, pretty Bao get A- rating and the rest downwards...clearly LD is a notch above eveyone else. I give JOJ a B+ (this CO09 clearly shows LD is toying with JOJ, the score actually flattered JOJ, LD made him look amateurish, JOJ is reacting to LD moves while LD anticipate where the bird goes the moment JOJ flick his racket)....The biggest weapon LD has now that in 2004/05 he doesn't have and going into 2010 as well is the mental superiority that he is really unbeatable, and if you play baddy and feel you can squash everyone, then you would understand what this mental power mental thingie can do for you. LCW is a world class player, on paper is bankable to win, yet fans would bite their tongue hoping he would deliver the goods and not crash out.
    Table tennis is dominated by CHN players, the real competition is between teammates...but in baddy, even CHN teammates cannot mount a challenge to LD, that spells domination. Barring injury, 2010 is all LD year with no rivals i.e. LD can pick/choose which SS he wants, I hope LD plays IO and MO which he hasn't won yet and that would collect all SS.
    Beyond 2010, let's wait till 2010 ends then we can discuss, but looking at the current landscape with no strong challenge other than a Hope from great baddy nation INA, after LCW none from deep pocket MAS, zip from discipline and serious KOR and a weak hope from work-fulltime-play-parttime-you-are-on-your-own DEN, that is pretty much IT:p
    LD is resting his legs and health for majors, winning majors enhance his endorsement potential (and that spells $$$, not some SS or whatsoever pays peanuts for all the hardwork put in). I strongly believe LD is targetting and planning for a second gold in OLY12. If I bet today, I park my dollar on LD to win OLY12 gold. As for WC and AE and AG next, start engraving his name on the trophy now:D:p

#62 OneToughBirdie, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Dear OTB..^^

..the next time around, you should just save your post and highlight, copy and paste your writing so you'll save a bit of time and energy in typing all those..:cool:;)

I've yet to see JOJ's match vs. CJ and LD (in this yr's China Open), but i'll take the opinions from a few of the posters in this thread and the other CO threads on JOJ's future chances. I guess mother time will tell where he progresses next as time is on his side.

#63 ctjcad, Nov 22, 2009
  4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Like some, this was also my first close look at JOJ. I won't add anything to the observations of benjamin59 and kwun. He will certainly be able to put food on his table by accumulating chequues from R-16, QF and SF appearances. As far as champion material goes, he's not quite there (yet). Other than JOJ, the supply from Europe is mighty thin.

5. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

Your observation of JOJ is very fair. JOJ may win some Grand Prix and SS titles but to win the biggies calls for all-round consistency and at the moment only LD has that quality.

;);););););)

6. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

JOJ was indeed white-washed by LD!
    LD has won five titles to date and LCW six.
    If LD wins the SS finals in JB then he will equal LCW.
    However, LD's wins include the All- England and the World Championship titles.
    LCW has never won any biggie so far.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Jorgensen needs to be more of a thinking player. That way, he can at least try to reduce exposure to his weaknesses or set up the rally to his advantage. At his age, his previous contemporaries Gade, Morten Frost and Flemming Delfs were all much better thinking players.

At times, when he plays the game, Jorgensen looked rushed and was not very calm despite not being under pressure.

Jorgensen might need more time to mature, so hopefully he will become like late bloomers Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen and Svend Pri, the only man to have beaten Rudy Hartono at the Thomas Cup and All-England Finals at Rudy's peak.

8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

... i think you have over-reacted.. sorry if this is initiated by my straight words, but in no way that I need your "polite" reminder, as I don't think any words in my post was impolite nor "sore".. and i don't know why i don't have the right to comment but have to "leave others to DECIDE on what a good player should be"...

.. it's alrite to note and recognize some player's improvement, but don't make it too big out of overjoy, calm down and look at it objectively... and let the player mature naturally.. overating would ruin a growing player as it would mean over-pressure...

. what i like to point out in my post is that, a glorious moment does not mean anything big, just like the many more glorious past cases (even the Chinese CL doen't made any further good progress after beating LCW, TH and LD and being claimed the next LD earlier this year)..

If you really like the lab to grow healthily and have a sustainable success, give him a break, take back the "making big" comments and leave him alone... it's good enough to give him a big applause for what's done now and no need to make it so big to the next PG, the OG12 contender.. etc.

btw, have you heard what JOJ said in a recent interview?? I think the lab is more realistic (although not short of spirit) than any of these "make big" fans...

9. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

ritely put...

in Asia, there are loads of players in Asia of similar level / potential as JOJ, even the newer Kenichi Tago fr Japan and Rumbaka from Indonesia... hope DAN's success in WC with their XD could inspire more younger European players to groom...

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Hi Abe: Are you sure Rudy was beaten at his peak or towards the later part of Rudy career? JOJ smash is feather-weight, even at half court he cannot kill the bird, anticipation wise he is reacting...but to reach CO final, pretty good though...but there is a long way for JOJ to go.

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Rudy was much younger than Pri. He got beaten by Pri in the '73 Thomas Cup Finals and '75 All-England Final (which Punch Gunalan failed to do a year earlier), and that pretty much broke his aura of invincibility. I know, I remember '73 particularly well as Malaysia's worst Thomas Cup campaign of all time (we got beaten by Thailand in the same way Indonesia got beaten by China in '82 - while leading 3-1 on opening night).

Was living in London in '74-75, so I got to see the All-England finals live.

As for Jorgensen's power (or rather lack of it), part could be due to the slow shuttles, and the lack of deception. Even on full power, Gade, TH, LCW and LD do use deception so that opponents cannot guess which way the shuttle will be going until it's too late.

Anyway, with more experience, Jorgensen will learn the art of war.

#71 abedeng, Nov 22, 2009
  12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya
    they must read more on sun tzi art of war just like lyb did:D

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Thanks...must be old age of mine...yeah, Pri was younger than Rudy and I saw Pri live at Stadium Negara with his powerful smash over Rudy. As for JOJ, gotta applause him for beating LCW and CJ in the same tournament. At the same time, the manner JOJ got beaten by LD pretty much tells us how much better is LD
    And Limsy is one post away from 11,000...yip, yip, hurray

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Naah, Pri was a good 4-5 years older than Rudy Hartono. Had better skills than his teammate Flemming Delfs, but not known for good stamina (unusual for a Danish singles player, come to think of it). But like Poul-Erik Hoyer, Pri's best badminton only came about at age 28+.

Jorgensen was fortunate in beating an injured CJ. It was a match that almost got away from him. But maybe now that he has reached his first major final, the jitters will go away and he can perform at peak potential. This year, he's already qualified in 3 SS semifinals (including China Open final), there should be no reason for not being able to perform normally at the latter stages.

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Abe, sorry for typo error, I meant to say 'yeah, Pri was older than Rudy...". and I remember the 'big whack sound when Pri smash at Stadium Negara...and I was cheering for Rudy then, many fans' favorite player at that time...also, you left for England a few years before I left for Canada.

16. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    From what I seen , this lad is a very good player. One for the future

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    danish players tend to play longer than asian players so JOJ should have many more years to improve. Biggest advantage of JOJ is his reach. If he continue to make improvement on other area, he would be an A player for sure. For now, any other players would be happy to in the final with LD. To be beaten by LD is not a shame:D Even JP had improved since he played LD.

18. fulmar

fulmar Regular Member

student
    In the final Jorgensen:

1. smashed into the forehand side very predictably. You could almost see LD go for the block before the smash was fully executed.

2. served high to Lin Dan! Full points for courage on that one.

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    JOJ has a long way to go... PG was much better than him at his age... but european always grrrrrrrrrow with age

20. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    When u serve high or play lobbing shots to Lin dan , u re looking for trouble, Jorgensen got to play more like Peter gade , with more stroke play and attacking badminton.