Yonex ArcSaber 10 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I can see where you're going...except for how you calculate the effective youngs modulus...

I'm still a freshmen though :p

EDIT: so..who's willing to cut up an arc10 in the name of science?

Maybe Dink will test it, he'll break the shaft, send Eepak the rackethead ;)

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't believe you can cut up a racquet and tell what the fiber/resin ratio mix is. FYI uhmg to resin ratio mix is for all practical purpose very low. Hmg to resin ratio mix can be higher. That is why there are hmg racquets that have more power than uhmg.
    For a racquet to be very fast its x-section should have a width of less than 10.25mm all round the clock, including that of the T joint, and its height should be 10mm or slightly less.
    If the AT 900P or the ArcSaber 10 have these x-section dimensions then you have a winner; and you don't need any 2U or 3U because such a racquet with 4U or even less is incredibly powerful and fast.

3. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

So according to you, the answer can be found if someone measures the dimensions of the rackets...

Can anyone measure the dimensions? :rolleyes: If possible, for both the ARC-10 and AT-900P? This would give us a comparison between 2 different types.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Well, if they cannot meet these slim dimensions they can still be mighty powerful but will just not be so fast. From what I read about the speed of these two racquets it would appear that the ArcSaber is a more "skinny" racquet, provided they have comparable power.
    If the ArcSaber has slimmer dimensions than the AT900T or P but has comparable power, then the ATs are poorer performers, relatively speaking.

5. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Yes, true. Although I doubt that the ArcSaber has more power, when both are wielded by technically advanced players. Even then, I understand each player can get more power out of the racket which suites him...

6. WWK207

WWK207 Regular Member

Ar Dan, thanks for the picture.

I want to get a Arc10 with NBG98, but dont know which color suits the red frame. Any suggestion or picture of Arc10 with gold or yellow string? Thanks

7. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

why don't you string it with red NBG98?

8. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Normally, I don't care about the colour. In fact... I still think that the colour will affect the performance. Just imagine mixing colour dye to the original material... though it don't affect much, it will change its molecular structure slightly, I say slightly...

I prefer using new strings. So... I normally get the stringer to string normal white (no colour?)...

Thanks.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

We have many owners of the AT900P and ArcSaber 10 here. How come no owner has come out with the x-section dimensions?

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I thought you'd want to cut up a racket to measure it's X-section...

I was joking;)

But, I can see where you're coming from..but aren't aero-framed rackets an exception to that "10,25mm rule" ?
    I have an aero-framed racket I love, but the x-section is bigger than usual.. about 12mm... to me, it hits bombs...:eek:

Now that we're on the subject, is the arc10 box-framed, or "delta-power"-framed?

11. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

arc-10 is slightly toward aero-frame design and surprisingly it is quite a tough frame.

12. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

13. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    its priced quite high compared to other places on the internet...and you means its CD coded =]

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
  15. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    haha yeah, i forgot to mention Maxsports ..^___^

16. TRDartz

TRDartz Regular Member

that's quite pricy

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

For racquet speed the key is to have a design with dimensions that can cut through the air with the least air resistance. Size is more important than anything. The X-section of the frame (width and the height of the frame, and the surface area as well as the height or thickness of the T joint at the throat) determines how fast a racquet is. A 12mm width X-section with an aero shaped frame is just a a more slim (tapered) version of the box shape. Large sizes like 12mm are slow, even if it is aero shaped, and are used for structural integrity when less than the best materials are used. Large x-section are for power but at the cost of speed.
    But speed comes at a terrible price. If a racquet with an all round x-section of 10mm for both width and height can generate the same power as a 12mm x-section racquet, the former will be very much faster but it might cost ten times more! It (frame) also will be very, very stiff, even if the shaft is flexible, and only very good female payers and intermediate and advanced male players can get that extra sting out of the racquet.

18. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

I've personally studied a lot of aerodynamics, and chemical engineering, larger size doesn't always mean slower speed. Simple example of the A380 aircraft actually has much less resistance than older widebody jets which are much smaller in size.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

In badminton racquets a wider frontal surface, which comes from the width of the x-section when you hold and swing the racquet at the back swing, and from the height of the x-section when the frame is changed to be frontal to the net, means more air resistance than a racquet with a smaller x-section, both width and height. The racquet with the larger x-section is like an auto or a plane with a wider frontal area.

20. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

Of course given the material and shape is exactly the same, a larger x-section will result in higher drag. I guess thats the whole point of more expensive racquets, better aerodynamics, and materials. Which will reduce the surface drag, induced drag, parasitic drag, and form drag. This discussion is bringing up bad memories of lectures... :D