2013 INDIA Open SS : Qualification to FINAL Round (23rd-28th April 2013)

Discussion in 'India / Malaysia Open 2013' started by CLELY, Apr 22, 2013.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    One or two rare examples occurs in every tournament. I have examples who liked the indian food . For example, Juliane schenk in one of the interviews, she said that she liked indian food.. Here are the excerpts of the interview..

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1827866/interview-where-is-chinese-dominance-juliane-schenk

Excerpts:

Do you like playing in India?
    I totally enjoy it here. I love the people, the food. This is my third visit to India and second time to New Delhi. I have very good memories. Maybe I will come back again. ............................

blah..blah..blah.

I just wanted to mention you that you can't bluntly say like as if "lots of european players got affected". I accept that one or two got affected and it happens to anybody who participates in any of the tournaments around the world.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I never said that they didn't like Indian food, nor did I say that I don't like it (personally its one of my favourites after Italian and Japanese) All I said was that many players from Europe got sick due to food preparation (not because they don't like the food)

Food poisoning results due to how food is stored and prepared, not as a result of not liking it. Anyway, I proved that it did take place and I know that at least 4/5 players/coaches were affected by it.

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Only two... No probs..It happens everywhere not only in india.. Even when i went to Singapore, i got affected due to the water.. One or two are rare cases...

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It was more than two though? I just showed the twitter posts from two... And yes sure it happens everywhere, I never said it didn't.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It's another indicator of the diversity of the universe that we live in. Thankfully its not all so homogeneous yet, that we are not drawn to people, places and experiences that are different from what we are used to interacting with everyday.

Pro players must be one of the luckiest people around! They get to travel the world, doing what they love to do, while they are young and fit.... and when they're done playing, they can still keep travelling to commentate or coach! Us keyboard warriors and 9-to-5ers are sooooo dull by comparison! :crying:

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Only the lower ranked players who are eliminated in the early rounds get to tour the cities and take in the sights and food of the land... the top players like LCW, LYD/JJS etc have to play and train thru the whole week of the tournament while they're still in it. :p:D

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The guy states at least 4/5 people get food poisoning and scorpion1 writes 'only 2'. LOL. India is famous for the purgative effects on foreigners. Some areas of India are better than others.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Depends on their association

9. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Everything must get boring after a while. Traveling too. And while doing this at the younger age, they don't get to spend enough days with their families, which is a sad part. Not sure about badminton, but cricket players spend just around 50 days out of 365 with their families.

Just a different thought.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

India is particularly bad, though. When ppl go there on vacation, they pretty much have to learn how to behave to avoid food poisoning/similar problems, and even then it's not entirely 'safe'.
    This is not only caused by lower hygienic standards but also just by different bacteria etc in the water. Even traveling around in Europe only it's generally advised to drink only bottled water. A friend had one glass of tap water in a restaurant in India, and got sick for 5 days afterwards.... :D
    Anyhow, you're right, it happens everywhere. I'd guess some of the affected guys weren't cautious enough, drinking or eating stuff they shouldn't have (tap water, food from street vendors,....).

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My wife travels to India not infrequently. She'll only take bottled water. But one time she brushed her teeth with tap water in the hotel and.....ta da da....same thing happened.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yeah.. The 'guy' can write any number of cases..Lol.. But truly affected is only two (given Proofs.. Anybody can write any numbers.... Only proof can give clear vision.;))...

Though Singapore is considered as a neat and clean city, we friends gone there for a vacation. Ouch.. During the initial days, we were terribly affected by the water there.

So, It depends upon the situation. I am not blaming anybody here. But i just wanna mention here that this situation happens to anybody in the world who are travelling anywhere around the world....

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Chris Langbridge and Peter Jeffery (English coach) also (hence Mills/Langbridge withdrawal) that's also available on twitter

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

*Langridge ;)

And scorpion - we can't really know how many were affected, as a couple won't have posted it at all or in a language/medium we can understand/access. But India has a reputation for being a bit worse than other countries where food poisoning/hygiene in food preparation is concerned. Thailand is another country with that kind of rep, btw, so don't feel like we're singling you out (a friend from my club went there for vacation and received a half-hour prep talk by someone who'd already been there, half of which was about how to avoid food poisoning).

Perhaps the other SS events are just organized a tad better in that aspect (organizers making sure the food and drinks in the tournament hotels agree with foreigners), or other countries are in fact just not as dangerous in that aspect.....but I've heard less of these complaints in the other events (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, China...).

#574 j4ckie, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Oooh..on a side note, speaking of water, there was one player who was affected by some cold water in clean Singapore and he was unable to continue playing.:D

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... I don't think I've ever seen or heard any other pro player concede a finals match like that... if he had done it in Indonesia or India, there would have been plastic bottles thrown at him... :p :D

17. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    True that!! You couldn't be anymore right about this... "They are young, travel the whole world doing what they love to do". I soo envy them but its their hard work bearing fruits for them, good for them!