*New! Adidas Badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by derrickn, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phili

phili Regular Member

I know that, I was just stating my opinion :p

Have you seen any other desings already? I was thinking that there would be more than 3 desings, guess I have to wait and see.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there will be choices for different tastes. so don't count them out yet! can't really say much more! ;)

3. phili

phili Regular Member

I guess this means yes :p
    I didn't count them out because I really love their shirt designs so far. Maybe that lead to too high expectations for the bags :D

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the Adidas stringing machine photo'ed in the trade show looks like the Alpha Phantom. which probably means that it is a OEM from Exthree/Porex. i wonder if they will send me one to test out? ;)

[​IMG]

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/101447-Alpha-Phantom-Stringing-Machine

5. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I think there is a lot more to come from this worldwide brand. The key is whether they can convince us that they know badminton. However, from what I've seen of the rackets so far, they are exceptional quality.

From a world market perspective, i can see them ranking in top 3 - if they get it right. The brand has such a good history that they must be taken seriously.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I dunno, I see a potential problem with what they're doing.

From the rackets I've seen, they seem to be differentiating themselves by going with a minimalist theme, which historically doesn't work in most Asian cultures as negative space doesn't have the same value as it does in the West (with the exception perhaps of Japan, in some respects but not all).

The reason that Babolat and Wilson et all work, is that they have a Western aesthetic in a largely Western sport such as tennis. However, I think that if you want to break into the badminton market which is culturally so dominated by Asian culture in it's various forms, you have to be sensitive to that and I'm not convinced at this early stage that the design route they're taking is as good as it could've been.

Part of being in the badminton 'clique' is belonging, and the existing brands have a very strong cache because if you know about them then you are definitely a badminton fan and not an interloper. If you know Yonex, you're not a football player. If you know Victor, you're not playing polo. Etc..

As a Western 'outsider' coming into the badminton clique, it really is a route fraught with some pretty sizable challenges - just ask Head. I think it would be a mistake to guarantee success for Adidas just based on their size and apparent reputation.

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that is a very good and critical point, and i'm glad that you pointed it out.

8. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Maklike

As always you raise some good points. I don't beleive they guarantee success based on their size - that's why I used the phrase "if they get it right."

They have the makings of top 3 success, but there are certainly no guarantees. The bottom line here is how well they have researched and listened to the badminton market before they launch.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

On the other hand, adidas is apparently not going to half-ass it (like Head did, they were barely available here and apart from their rackets you couldn't find much of their gear [except for tennis shops, of course, but when ordering from a badminton place, you couldn't get their clothing in most cases]. And they didn't have a real badminton shoe afaik...). Also found the Head rackets I tried to be of inferior quality. Hopefully that won't be the case with adidas...

10. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Thanks, and definitely.

An issue many of the larger companies appear have though is that they're too busy listening to their marketing and brand promotion people and are more worried about promoting their brand and it's aesthetic rather than create a nuanced product(s).

Nike does a better job of avoiding this than most. They have a strong brand aesthetic, but it's a universally design based aesthetic and not a brand based aesthetic, therefore they retain their ability to put their swoosh on almost anything and it works.

I'm not convinced Adidas has that capability.

But we'll see. Either way, having more options is a good thing, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with and having a hit with a few of the rackets once they're available.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    eventually it will be available. but for now, it is not public yet.

12. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

I ordered and paid for one so we'll see if and when I get the racquet..LOL :eek:

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I reckon we should ban Kwun from his own forum until he gives up all the details! :)

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is a blessing and a curse. i tell ya. ppl tell me all these stuff, but at the same time, tell me to hush hush. imagine the agony!!

"hey dude, i will tell u who killed JFK, but i will have to kill you if you tell anyone..."

15. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    then scarifice for us:p

16. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    touche my friend, touche!!!

17. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Exactly Kwun, just think of the needs of the entire forum :p Anyone of us would do it if we're in your place, really we would :p

18. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

And soon Kwun will finished... And admin will be succeeded by LD Rules! :D
    How much the high end model price?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. then no more future information. is that worth it? i don't think so. :)

20. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Hmm...I think I'll get an Adidas badminton bag when it comes out. Just to be different from all the Yonex and Victor bags I see. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.