Some Forehand Snap Strength Problems

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by magiadam, Mar 5, 2010.

1. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

Hi guys,

I am having this major issue with my forehand.
    I cannot seem to "snap" it properly to produce the same power as I produce as my backhand.
    Let me say this first, that my backhand is indeed a lot stronger than my forehand. I can clear from baseline-to-baseline with my backhand and backhand smash very well (which required a lottt of practice). Pathetic as this may sound, but my backhand smash is actually stronger than my forehand smash...

Now to get to my point. I'm not really sure why this is. Whether it's a technique problem or something. I can get the "snap" very well with my backhand since I use the "wet towel" analogy where we whip the wet towel.
    However, I don't really know any analogies for the forehand snap. Maybe knowing one will get me familiar with the forehand snap technique.

Needless to say, having my backhand stronger can be good sometimes since my opponents underestimate my backhand but once they know I have a weak forehand...

I don't think I have any strength problems or don't have enough wrist strength, but that I don't know how to use my wrist strength properly...

Thank you very much for your inputs.

ps. I am right handed.

#1 magiadam, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

The way you apply your forehand grip may be the cause. I think you should ask someone playing in your group to observe how you grip your racquet during matches.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Good analogy of the wet towel whip in the backhand. I do the same too and often catch my opponents by surprise.

With the forehand, you can't whip it as much due to the wrist anatomy. Don't stop the motion as much as the backhand. You'll need a little bit more follow through. And also some pronation of the forearm for added power.

A loose grip with grip tightening at point of impact is also essential to allow acceleration of the racket into the shuttle.

You may want to check out Zhao Jianhua's badminton training episode re clearing and smashing.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Before the shot, are you getting into a side-on position, with your racket foot behind and your non-racket foot in front? Or are you standing more square-on to the net?

5. armytec700

armytec700 Regular Member

Like Ginglong said, watch episode 14 of Badminton Episode Expert Diagnose. It has slow motion of clears and use of the 'snap' or the whip action. Like your problem you said you cant 'snap' your forearm. Few tips; 1.) Keep your grip loose if you are not hitting the shuttlecock. 2.) Tighten your grip at the very moment when you hit the shuttle - that will give you that 'snap' or whip - like action. 3.) Include pronation of the forearm in your hits, this gives ALOT more power in your hits.
    All of this stuff is explained into more detail in episode 14.
    Link for EP.14 = http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LK4V1QZI
    Translation for EP.14 (Dont change the name of the file or the SRT file, because the video and Subtitle have to be the same name. Use BSplayer if your personal Video player does not support or work with the subtitles.
    = http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UT8CMJV1

6. armytec700

armytec700 Regular Member

Sorry updated the links because they were broken and it wouldn't let me edit my original post. :eek:

7. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

Still broken :(

8. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member