India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If strictly speaking, all the MS players from india were underdogs when all the top seeds were participating. They did justice to their ranks and gone far to reach last 16. Two of them are qualifiers.

Ajay jayaram lost to Tin Minh Nyugen
    H.S.Prannoy lost to Gao Huan (beating Wong Wing ki, Jan O jorgensen in first 2 rounds)
    K.Srikanth lost Kenichi Tago (beating Sho sasaki , Kazuteru kozai who has beaten world No.2 ChenLong in the first 2 rounds).

These youngsters are doing a good progress. Both Prannoy and srikanth are just 20. They can do well in the coming tournaments.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    With all due respect, when you look at the individual threads for these players, one can see "huge potential", "promising", "up and coming". I guess my expectations have been raised too high too fast with those descriptions.

There are other players from other countries who have done even better recently - even Thailand and Japan.

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Atleast the threads did not mention something like "The Next Super King" or any other very very attractive captions like many player have got for them. "Up and coming" and "Huge Potential" and "Promising" are quite understandable than "The Next Super King" or something like that. These players are showing quiet improvement in their play than those more attractive captions !!!

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hasn't the 'next super king' won something of significance already?

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep. I accept it. He has great potential. But i wanna remember you that the thread was opened in 2010. Now september 2013.
    Having such talents and training methods in china, i think his Superseries title is very late. And the caption "The Next Super King" is too much to handle. He exited in the first round itself in Japan Open 2013. "Super King" can be given to LinDan or LCW but not to others, according to my opinion. But i am not gonna blame them for saying so. They have rights to praise their country players.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

He was world junior champion but I agree, the proclamation is over enthusiastic. But does that justify the proclamations for the threads for the Indian players?

In terms of numbers, they have been doing really well - just can't get that breakthrough.

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    What's your problem?? If you feel "Up and coming" and "great protential" threads as ridiculous, please proceed further to delete those.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So we agree that they are over presumptive at present.:)

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Prannoy annoyed the f**k out of me when I was watching the WD QF....all that shouting really got on my nerves. Don't have the slightest idea how the rallies before those shouts looked, so he might have had the right to do so (winning long, hard-fought, well-played rallies, you have the right to celebrate imop), but I can only hope that he either gets rid of that habit of his or that he never gets past QF stage.
    I really don't want to see hour-long singles matches with one guy praising the hell out of himself :D
    That being said, Srikanth looked pretty good in his QF. Has some typical Indian footwork problems but looked pretty impressive when he had a little time in the long backhand corner.

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    As over Presumptive as "Next super King" ;)!!! Am i right.. Prannoy is youth olympics silver medallist and K.Srikanth won Thailand GPG recently.

11. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

Cheung.. that was an intended trolling right?

so what if they reach the semis? Cheung u will then say, "nah they are over presumptive because they didn't reach the finals".. and if they did reach the finals, you will say," nah they are over presumptive because they didn't win the title.."

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Trolling? I guess if I kept going on about it then it would be trolling. Is my ratio really that high? Or expectations and the bar been raised too high?

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Didn't think of it as trolling. It's true that a lot of people rate their favorite up-and-coming players too high, and Indian fans were no exception. WZM was hyped even more, but nobody disputes that the title someone gave him is unjustified so far.

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]BAI disciplinary committee recommends life ban for Jwala[/h]
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/10/05/bai-disciplinary-committee-recommends-life-ban-for-jwala/

EXCERPTS:

The Badminton Association of India (BAI)’s disciplinary committee has recommended a life ban for leading doubles player Jwala Gutta for her conduct during an Indian Badminton League (IBL) tie in Bangalore Aug 25.

The 30-year-old, however, can be pardoned if she gives an unconditional apology to BAI president Akhilesh Das Gupta.

“We have recommended a life ban on Jwala for her role in the Krrish Delhi Smashers vs Banga Beats tie. Nowehere in Jwala’s reply which she sent to us, is she apologetic for her conduct. So we recommended the ban,” BAI’s disciplinary committee chairman S. Muralidharan told IANS Saturday.

Will she give an unconditional apology? :confused:
    “However, if she offers an unconditional apology to the president, then she can be pardoned. It is upon the discretion of the president to decide now,” Muralidharan, also a BAI vice-president, added.

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Jwala Gutta may take legal action against Badminton Association of India[/h]
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/18995...action-against-badminton-association-of-india

EXCERPTS:

Jwala's coach Syed Mohammad Arif said he has advised her to file a defamation suit against BAI for going to press without issuing her a ban notice.

India's top doubles shuttler Jwala Gutta may take a legal action against Badminton Association of India (BAI) for threatening to ban her for life over a row during the Indian Badminton League (IBL).

Jwala's coach Syed Mohammad Arif said he has advised her to file a defamation suit against BAI for going to press without issuing her a ban notice.

The top shuttler has not yet reacted to recommendation of the BAI's disciplinary committee for a life ban on her for trying to stop players of her franchise Krrish Delhi Smashers from playing a match against Bangla Beats.

She was agitated after Bangla Beats were allowed to replace their injured Hong Kong player Hu Yun with Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark.

She is maintaining silence at the advise of Arif.

"I asked her not to react till the federation issues her a notice. She can then move to court. I, in fact, advised her to file a defamation case," Arif, former chief national coach, said.

"This is cruelest joke on badminton and on a player of Jwala's calibre," he said, adding that she committed no mistake and hence there is no question of apology.

"Instead of issuing her a notice to take action, the federation has gone to press, which is a cruel joke," said Arif.

He believes Jwala was being "victimised" for speaking against the injustice and the arbitrary manner in which BAI functions.

It is clearly understood that BAI does not want Jwala to partner Aswini again and play tournaments. I think jwala will file a defamation case against BAI soon. But would it end the controversy and allow her to play again??? Only time will tell the rest of the story.

16. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Jwala Gutta gets candid about her travails, plans

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/badminton-star-jwala-gutta-gets-candid/1/316765.html
    Q. Why did the BAI indulge in the witch hunt against you?

A. Frankly, I have no idea what is it that I have done which is bad. What I am made to go through is a nasty experience. Perhaps I have not satisfied the ego of those in charge of badminton administration in the country.

Q. When and how did they target you earlier?

A. When Gopi took over as the National Coach in 2006, I was just 23 and the current national champion but dropped from the national side without being offered any explanation. He said then that I am too old to play and that I have to give way to my juniors. I was also told to attend camps instead of taking part in tournaments. Later, when I turned 26, he said that players cannot perform after crossing 25. There are newspaper clippings of that time as testimony. I did not think that it was necessary to fight then as I presumed that it was his point of view. Don't forget that he won the All England championship at 29. I assumed that he did not have enough knowledge as a coach, and let it pass. Now, when two of the former chief coaches - SM Arif and Vimal Kumar - have spoken out in support of me, he is keeping mum, why. Everybody knows what BAI has done is wrong, so why is he worried about speaking? It is sad, he does not want to take a stand and speak up as the national coach. There is, as yet, no doubles pair to replace Ashwini Ponnappa and me. Is he, as the chief coach, willing to let go of us and lose a chance to win a medal for the nation? Does he forget the treatment meted out to him and the circumstances under which Dipankar Bhattacharjee became the first badminton player to represent India in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics? Does Gopi also forget that I have won more international and national awards as a player than he did? Why is he keeping quiet?

Q. Your relations with the chief national coach Pullela Gopichand has at most times been sour. What happened?

A. Tell me can a distinguished professor at a university run a private academy offering tuitions? Suffice to say it is not fair to run your own training institution and wield power in the selection of players and management of the game.

Q. Do you think that the BAI will try to find fault with you again?

A. They will question my credentials again. They will come out in the open because the issue which I raise is how an administrative system is being run and should be run. What is significant is that the referee has admitted that he failed to inform me and the franchise about the replacement for that IBL match. Therefore, the accusations against me are senseless.

Q. Do sportspersons have enough freedom to speak their mind against the issues of selection and organization of sport in India?

A. Yes. Yes. They have but they don't. What are the roles of sports associations at the national and state levels, perhaps with the exception of the BCCI, in developing individual sports and games? What has the BAI, which has not given me a single paisa, done? I did not ask them for it. My parents and the government have funded my interests in badminton and I am grateful to them. Why are the sports federations always on a power overdrive? Any sport or game flourishes and is popular because of those who play it at all levels. The success of the IBL is because of them not the BAI. Players are responsible for badminton being noticed even by those who do not know the nuances of the game.

(really strong comments from jwala:rolleyes:)

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/badminton-star-jwala-gutta-gets-candid/1/316765.html

#416 rajat_remar, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ermm.... Is she mad? She blackmailed Banga beats saying she would stage a walkout and not play, if Jan o Jorgensen got to play, even though the playing of Jan O was completely above board and legal.
    So team owners spend lots of money investing in their team and pay/fly players out, fans spend money and time to come and watch and just becaus
    e Jwala for some strange reason did not like Jan playing she held everyone to ransom. Then she turns round and says "Frankly, I have no idea what is it that I have done which is bad" ????????????

I see she has used her charms to get some petroleum minister on board who I am assuming provides funding for BAI "
    petroleum sector may have to reconsider its association at various forms of support to BAI". This will probably force the hand of decision makers.
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...ssistance-says-sports-minister-jitendra-singh

Also read this:
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...y-pullela-gopichand-is-quiet-says-jwala-gutta
    Pretty out of order that she is trying to goad Gopichand into her farce.

Wonder how this will pan out. BAI must be desperate to just get her away from the set up and get on with things.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Indian badminton has gone down in form recently.

Hope they can spring back next year stronger and shield themselves away from too many distracting commercial activities.

19. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    That is exactly I have been saying all along. Indian badminton must face the reality though reality hurt. India has the population, the wealth and all the tools to excel in badminton. The key is having the right personnel running the organization.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Really , the players from India are showing some pathetic display in recent times. TURNED their BODY to 180 degrees(opposite) and proceeding in supersonic speed.. If they go by this speed, then definitely, we can see the reflection in the rankings soon..