New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Thanx boss! :)
    Iirc when he was in Vancouver he has a 3U.
    Yah, that's why I'll be stringing it at 2-3 lbs higher than my usual and then allow it to settle and stabilize into my playing tension. How long did it take for the tension to stabilize? Few days? A week?

2. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Well, I bought it on the 10th of May, and I reckon it dropped a bit, stabilised, and then dropped a bit more, only to fully settle maybe 3-4 weeks ago? I play roughly 20 sets a week / 6 hours, so it takes quite a while. I suspect this string is not the best for intermediate tensions, but I like the feel so much I'm willing to put up with it.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You mean the string has not broken since the 10th of May? That's 3 months now; surely the tension is shot. Sorry, can't be bothered to check back but what string was it?

4. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You can't be bothered to scroll up to post #1441?

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh you evil BCers. Now I won't be able to resist and MUST get this next month....Badminton is gonna ruin me!

6. chann

chann Regular Member

its ok , just let badminton ruin you , buying a racket to exercise is worth it :D

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Hehe... for the sake of your mental and physical health, what's a hundred here and there? :) Still costs less than smoking...:p

8. chann

chann Regular Member

agreed, especially if u are in singapore a pack sets u back $11

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, 2 are on their way now. Let's hope they're not too different from the BS10 so I can switch without problems...

10. chann

chann Regular Member

i have both mx 80 and bs10... i would say that mx80 is just abitttt slower than bs10.

MX80 is definitely more powerful, stiffer than the bs10.( at the moment i'm trying to harness its strength, I get tired easily from using though :( )

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sounds good. I really like playing with the BS10, and get a decent amount of power out of it as well. For me, stiffer is not necessarily more powerful, but I think I can deal with it. Let's hope shipment is quick and that for once I won't have to pay taxes which would be like 40-50€ extra.

12. Brale90

Brale90 Regular Member

Student
    Is there a great difference between a 4u 85g and a 3u 86g meteor?
    Different balancepoint? More flex? Feeling while playing?

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The only difference between 4U and 3U is the weight. In that case, 1g. The balance is slightly different from racket to racket anyway, and the flex should be the same. The weight difference can result in a very different feel, although 1g should be small enough to be no bother. Probably not even noticeable.
    If the difference (in weight) is bigger, the heavier racket will feel slower, and a bit head heavier in most cases.

14. Brale90

Brale90 Regular Member

Student
    thank you for the fast reply:
    In best case there wont be a noticeable difference,
    in "worst" case i can choose the better racket and have a good backup racket with slightly different feeling

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Exactly. If there's really just 1g difference, you should be able to adapt within 2-3 rallies if you notice a difference at all.

16. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    There's a $10 drop for the MX80 at RKEP (squashmart) on Ebay. Going for $150 now (used to be $160). I know cuz I check almost daily. Hmm...I sense the MX70 is coming soon.

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Haha, good news for me come the Sept order with Visor. Thanks for the info

18. visor

visor Regular Member

^^Yah, I notice the price drop too. Also includes BS and SW series rackets too! Hopefully the MX70 will be released at $150! :D

19. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    If not...maybe I'll get he MX80 instead :D....if I can afford it since the HST was revoked :mad:.

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Comparison MX80 vs SW35

Foreword:

I love the SW35 so much, it's so powerful und suits my offensive style, but sometimes I wish it could be faster in defence and during drives when I play doubles, especially when I have to cover a hard and fast smash from my opponent or during rallys with drive duel. I bought a BS10 but for me it lacks a bit in terms of power but defend very well, so I decided to buy a symbiote, which allows me to cover a hard and fast smash and a racket which suits my offensive play, because I mostly play at the back during doubles. So I bought a MX80.

The specifications

MX80

Weight: 3U (strung: 91g)
    Balance point: 298 mm (strung)
    String: BG 66 Ultimax @ 25lbs
    Grip: towel grip direct on wood

SW35

Weight: 3U (strung: 92g)
    Balance point: 307 mm (strung)
    String: BG 66 Ultimax @ 25 lbs
    Grip: towel grip direct on wood

First Impression:

The MX80 feels slightly stiffer on bending. The weight difference is only 1g but through the balance it feels lighter than my SW35 and faster when I move it around.

Warm up:

Clearing needs no efforts. It cuts faster through the air than my SW35. I need a few minutes for timing and adjustment. The string bed feels strung higher than 25 lbs. Because of the 80 holes technology it feels 1-2 lbs higher.
    My dropshot was there and more precise. I think it could depend on the stringbed which gives more control.
    The first time I smashed with the MX 80 I was impressed by its power and how quick I could generate a smash for such a well balanced racket, but honestly the smash with my SW35 is a bit harder but the head acceleration is lower, so the time to generate a smash is a tiny bit longer.
    During defending I could cover some hard smash from my partner which I could not cover so fast with my SW35 and return such precise. At the net area the MX80 feels good and quick. It was easy to kill at the net, do some deceptions and play cross court net drops.

Game time:

I played 5 games singles and more than 10 games doubles with the MX80. My shots were my accurate, smashs were easier to generate so I smashed more in every situation and position. Crosscourt dropshots were so sharp and accurate so it improved my game a bit. Generally it improved my accuracy of every shot. During defence and playing in the front I noticed the quickness of the MX80 the most.

Conclusion:

The MX80 is an excellent racket for mens doubles, where you have to play in the front and the back. For mixed doubles I would switch to my SW35 because I play more in the back. The MX80 has ambitions for a singles racket but I would prefer my SW35 for mens singles. After all the MX80 is a best of both worlds racket. It has nearly the quickness of the BS10 and a portion of power from the SW35. But don't get me wrong, I love and enjoy both rackets but the MX80 isn't able to beat my faithful SW35. In the future I will stick with the MX80 for mens doubles, but for mixed doubles and singles the SW35 will be my #1. For the future a wish a racket with the bravesword frame design, 80 holes technology, stiffness and carbon XT of the MX80, Inside Waves, E-titanium and head heavyness of my SW35. This would be a dream. :crying: