P&S Camera recommendation

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by madbad, Jan 16, 2010.

1. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Panasonic T2 is about the best wet-wet-wet p&s there is:). Sony's TX5 version of waterproof is not on par with a Lumix T2 BUT w/ better vids:D.

I can sense you are concerned with video (waterproofing is not the biggest issue I suppose...myriad ways to...). Well then, go FULL HD (1920 x 1080)!:cool: Such as Sony TX7.

Don't ever compromise for a 720p, then upgrade to 1920 x 1080 a few months down the road. It's a waste in the long run (which is very short term these days):(l

Quickie on p&s, the basics. Sonys are bad on yellow/orange backgrounds. Nikons are noisy but great with blue backgrounds. Canon is nothing suspect nor super in any ONE aspect (except, repairs:(). Olympus, probably the better of the crop but not commensurate with its price . Fuji (FINEPIX) is never a top pick but they are above decent and probably the biggest bang for the buck:cool:!

Leica p&s...let's not get started:).

2. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    This is for madbad

I'm guessing this message is for madbad. Great advice RSLvictorSOTX. Congratulations madbad for buying the best there is.

I, on the otherhand, are already leaning towards buying Panasonic Lumix ZS3. The only disadvantage I find here is that there's no manual function. I don't know how to use a dslr, but a manual function could get me started in more artistic photography. This is the reason why I'm still contemplating. I might buy Canon Powershot SX200 IS instead.

I went to the store yesterday. Didn't find any Panasonic digicams, but I saw the SX200 IS. It looks sturdy and nice. However, the sales representative talked me into buying Sony Cybershot W380 instead. It's so compact. Plus, it has free extra battery and a small tripod. My only hesitation is that it only has 5x optical zoom. Now I'm confused :confused::confused::confused: I'm still open to suggestions :D

I'm going to a different store this coming Sunday. Hopefully I'd find Panasonic Lumix there.

3. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

venkatesh,

It was actually for you. P. Lumix TS 2 is the better of the 2 when compared w/ Sony TX 5.

So, you're gonna need a p&s digicam w/ manual options too, a full HD video (don't
    bother with 720 progressive or 720 interlace), 12 times zoom preferably at 2.8 constant:)? Joking:). And etcetera, etcetera:).

Er, that's a tall order even if you throw into the mix the higher ends (micro 4/3rds) of the Pentaxes, Olympuses, Leicas, P. Lumixes, etcetera;).

Good luck in your search for a COMPROMISE:D.

RvS

p.s.

4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    My bad.

Sorry. I stopped reading when I saw the word "waterproof". I thought the message was for madbad.

I can't find any reviews about Lumix T2.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Update

Yes. I know it's impossible to find a point-and-shoot camera that has it all. I think manufacturers (may it be of cellphones, digicams, and what not) deliberately compromise one function from the other. Otherwise, if they make the ultimate product, they would sell only that particular item and never gain profit from their other models. Besides, not all buyers would appreciate other functions of an all-in-one camera. Some of them would choose a cam specifically for sports, for underwater, for sceneries, etc.

Today, I bought that digicam, of course with your help and suggestions. The previous digicams I owned were Canon, which is the only brand I have been exposed to and the only brand that I associate with digicams. But with the suggestions given here, I pondered on other options and read reviews ... until I short listed my choice to only 2: Canon SX200 IS and Panasonic Lumix ZS3.

These 2 digicams were neck and neck when it comes to the specs, with Canon having a slight advantage because of the manual mode. However, qualitywise and budgetwise, ZS3 got more praises, and a lot of Web sites proclaimed that it was the "ultimate" superzoom compact cam of 2009. Thus, I decided to have ZS3 reserved for me. But up to the last minute, I had been pondering whether I could do without the manual mode. I'm not a pro, but I know my interest in learning good photography is there. And without the manual function, I wouldn't be able to explore that. Who knows? This interest could lead me into buying my first SLR. In the end, I bought ... wait for it ... ZS7 instead.

I have read CNET's review of this model, and it wasn't as impressive as ZS3. But what the heck! This is a new cam. It has just been released last Dec/Jan; therefore, there weren't enough review to confirm its full functionality. But basically, ZS3 is its predecessor and thus could be at par with this cam, with added features such as manual mode, power IS, and GPS.

But you know what really convinced me? See the reviews here: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ10_ZS7/
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWzYZGltyxY
    http://vimeo.com/10051035

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    mini review of ZS3/T7 is here
    review on TS2/FT2 is here
    how about getting ZS6/T8, updated version of ZS3/T7?
    more advance/specs ZS7/T10?

planning to get TS2/FT2 soon because poisoned by madbad..... :mad:

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I prefer "brain-washed" :D:D. Hope you enjoy it

8. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Sample

I used it already.

This one was taken with burst mode
    P1000062.jpg

This one was an image from the video
    P1000628.jpg

This one was taken with burst mode also
    P1000192.jpg

Other files that have better quality, which maximized the allowed MB here, could not be uploaded. :)

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    qouted at RM1280 includes 8gb card.
    let me do more scouting around, maybe can get better deal. i have 2 months to go.....

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hey, that's good. But make sure you get at least a Class 6 card. Otherwise way too slow. I used a Panasonic Class 10 card on mine

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    pannie cameras use proprietory Li batteries and they are quite expensive:(

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I found their battery lasts me one full day of shots... that's it

In contrast, my Canon battery on the 40D lasts forever

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    they dont have good sdhc card, may opt camera only and will get card at other place.

depending how u use it.
    smaller camera, of course smaller battery size.
    1. p&s using live view for all shots
    2. preview - more back lcd view, more power usage. you know, big screen.
    3. flash

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

For the TS2 I rarely used the flash, so not an issue. Use live view all the time so, yes, does eat up a lot of battery power. I previewed 50% of my shots so not that big an issue. I just took a lot of pics

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    ahh, i know now where u secretly stash away all your cutie pictures in:p

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Now now, no need to speculate. Like LD, I am "generous" with sharing them :p:p

17. mredr81

mredr81 New Member

panasonic lx-5 is a nice p&s