BWF: get with the program

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by cobalt, Oct 23, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Badminton Fraternity Gathers for AGM and Member’s Forum in Malaysia
    Friday, May 17, 2013 - Text by Gayle Alleyne | Edwin Leung

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=73872

Excerpts:

Delegates from more than 150 of BWF’s 179 worldwide Member Associations are in the Malaysian capital for the week-long session which will see the election of a new president and council, the announcement of the 2012 Players of the Year at a glittering awards banquet and various council and committee sessions, including the Women in Badminton Forum on Sunday.

...“This is an important occasion for networking and information sharing with our most important stakeholder – our members,” said outgoing BWF President Dr. Kang Young Joong.

Tomorrow’s AGM will see either Dr. Justian Suhandinata (Indonesia; at left) or Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen (Denmark; at right) succeed Dr. Kang as BWF President for the next four years, as the organisation moves towards the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. A new BWF Council will also be elected.

#61 cobalt, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    IMG will not handle production for badminton; they will only handle distribution. Typically, production will be handled by the host country's association and broadcaster.

For example:
    For the upcoming Sudirman Cup, IMG has all international rights except for Malaysia.
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badminton/sudirman-cup.aspx
    According to IMG, they will be providing live coverage of 2 sessions of 5 matches every day, from group stage upto semi-finals, and five matches on the finals day.

For the Canada GP coverage, read here:
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badminton/canada-open-grand-prix.aspx

For the US Open read here:
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badminton/us-open-grand-prix-gold.aspx

For Macau Open read here:
    http://www.imgprogramming.com/badminton/macau-open-grand-prix-gold.aspx

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The BWF Annual Report 2012 is available online for anyone who wishes to read it.

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=438814&dl=1

Total surplus for the year 2012 was $ 12,665,758.
    This is the Olympic year. Total Olympic income was approx $ 14 million.
    Olympic expenses were approx $ 400K.

Clearly, the OG is the big cash cow for BWF. Without the OG, the BWF would just about break even or make a small surplus. The OG drives development.

Income from other BWF tournaments in 2012 was approx $ 7.8 million compared to $9.9 million in 2011.

Total surplus for the year 2011 was $ 774,526. This illustrates the importance of the Olympic Games for the survival (and growth) of badminton in it's current model.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thanks. I hope there will be more broadcast of GP and GPG events.

does anyone know where I can find a list of which countries/cities/broadcasters who will broadcast a particular event?

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

6. sen

sen Regular Member

Was IMG Media the one that recommended that women players have to wear skirts ?

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

The right choice.

Denmark’s Hoyer is new president of the BWF

[​IMG]
    DENMARK’s Poul-Erik Hoyer felt like he had won the Olympic Games gold medal all over again.
    The tall and blue-eyed 47-year-old Dane defeated Justian Suhandinata of Indonesia by 145-20 votes to become the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) new president at the world body’s 74th annual general meeting at a hotel here yesterday.

At the Atlanta Olympic Games 17 years ago, Hoyer defeated Malaysia’s Rashid Sidek in the men’s singles final to become the first player from his country to win a badminton gold in the series.
    The cool and composed Hoyer was humble in his latest victory.

“I thank Dr Kang Young-joong for his leadership and indeed, it will be a great task to take over from him. Badminton is in my heart and I have been involved in it my whole life.
    I will cherish this opportunity to serve in BWF and produce more great moments,” said Hoyer.
    He said that he would continue working with Suhandinata.
    “I thank Justian. It was a tough fight but I’m glad the whole process was done democratically. I have great respect for him. We had a talk and I’m glad that he is interested to work together. We’ll meet again soon.”

Hoyer said that one of his first move would be to eradicate match throwing.
    At the last Olympic Games in London, badminton came under the spotlight when women’s doubles players threw their matches to avoid meeting stronger opponents. Four pairs were disqualified from the Games.

There have also been constant walkovers among players from China.
    There have also been talk about match-fixing in badminton.
    “I’ll probably set up a council to look into match throwing. Yes, this issue is one of my concerns,” he said.
    “I will not go into details about my plans but my heart is in development. I’m looking beyond 2016 and will ensure that the sport remains in the Olympic Games.
    “We are ranked about 13 among the Olympic sport and I’ll try to bring it into the top 10. There will be continuous improvement.”

Meanwhile, Peru’s Gustavo Salazar Delgado defeated incumbent Paisan Rangsikitpho 148-118 for the deputy president’s post.

There was also good news for Malaysia when Datuk Lim Teong Keat was appointed as one of the council members of BWF.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry can't:(, Can only imagine North Korea and some African countries don't. Could certainly do with more being televised in the UK I can say that for certain.

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I can imagine quite a lot more countries ... That statement was just ridiculous: you can pretty much discount South America, Africa, most of Europe and the Middle East. It's probably a typo and should have been 16 instead of 160 :D (but they probably count that 1 minute a year, broadcast on local news of locally held international tournaments, as well. But even then, 160 is a ridiculous number when we don't count the Olympics as a BWF event which it isn't)

#70 demolidor, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Must be inclusive of internet tv.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Probably, but they do specifically mention the youtube channel as in addition to ... (not to mention the specific wording of "televised"?)
    But hey, whatever makes the sponsors happy :D[​IMG]

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    How many countries have the Sudirman Cup live streaming from youtube?

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    BWF ‘Driving’ Into The Future With Chery
    Friday, May 24, 2013 - Text by Gayle Alleyne | Edwin Leung

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=74125

Excerpts:

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) yesterday welcomed Chinese car company, Chery Automobile, as a partner and the “Official Car” for all BWF Major Events.

The four-year contract – from 2013 to 2016 – was announced at a press conference at Putra Stadium for the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). This was attended by BWF and Chery officials, including General Manager of Chery International, Zhou Biren; Chery’s Vice President, Zhang Gui Bing; BWF Vice President – Europe, Gregory Verpoorten; BWF Chair of Marketing, Nigel Skelt and BWF Secretary General, Thomas Lund.

...Both organisations highlighted their similar values such as a shared passion for badminton and the desire to promote and spread core values associated with the sport such as excellence, professionalism, integrity and equality.

15. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Another sponsor for BWF can't be a bad thing. :)

Hmmm... it's even shaped a bit like a badminton bird. :eek:
    chery.jpg bird.jpg

#75 Fidget, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If Toyota or BMW were to sponsor BWF events, I think badminton will be a popular sport worldwide!!

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Now..every player can travel by Chery.

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

2013 Li-Ning BWF Sudirman CupF - MD - Liu Xiaolong/Qiu Zihan vs Ko Sung Hyun/Le…
    by bwf

"[​IMG][​IMG]"

Think it was restricted in only a handful of countries so let's assume available in all countries where YouTube is not blocked nor belong to the above list (so that excludes some small countries such as China and India :D). Even then this view count pales in comparison to tv viewing numbers ...

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    is the BWF youtube channel blocked in Germany?

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Only live streaming on YouTube is not allowed in Germany ...