Where do you string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by MarkinJapan, Jun 7, 2004.

?

where do you string?

1. i string my own rackets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. i have a friend that strings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. i always go to a shop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Got fed up with the (non-)service provided by the local stringers:mad:. Started to browse a bit and finally got myself a machine and started doing it myself as well as for friends:cool:. I also hope to enlarge the business.

2. Alom

Alom Regular Member

String my own. Had trouble finding fast restringers in my area and decided to buy my own machine and all the tools. Cant go wrong with your own machine because I needed a restring once every month on average, sometimes twice :p

3. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

My coach strings the rackets

4. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    That's the spirit:D

5. druss

druss Regular Member

I string for myself, friends and 2 local clubs. I don't do it to make money so don't charge a lot. If what I charge pays off the machine in 3-4 years that would make me happy.

I break on average 2 strings a month and there are only 3 places in town that I would trust to string my rackets... 2 of them in private clubs (which I'm not a member of) and a racket pro shop which is 20 minutes away... too much trouble.

6. Michael WBC

Michael WBC Regular Member

Student
    Luckily for me I have a friend who is a good stringer. Never had a broken or damaged racket in 11 years. Probably get at least two rackets done a month.

7. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Do it myself. I used to string professionally and have I have a Babolat Star 3 machine :D
    Playing tennis and badminton, stringing. myself saves me about $600-$700 / year

#127 adidascanada, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  8. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    Always stringed in shops :(

9. Mwesty

Mwesty Regular Member

Been stringing for quite a while now, for myself and a lot of the players in the surrounding leagues. I do a while-you-wait service at no extra charge to save my customers coming back and fourth. 25minutes to get the racket back tops, using a Babolat Star 5. I charge £10 in total which includes me providing the string and the labour. I made all the strings the same price as I didn't want the price to be a factor when one of my customer selects a string - instead they're picking a string which suits their style of play best.

Created my website about 2 years ago and seem to be getting a lot of postal orders too, so it's progressing quite well. http://www.racquetrestrings.com

10. Mwesty

Mwesty Regular Member

Getting onto the tournament circut as well. I did the stringing at the BUCS Championships for Ashaway.. and did the stringing for the Inter County Championships for the Premier B a few months back.

11. MarkYin

MarkYin Regular Member

How much does a stringing machine cost?

12. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    U have a whole range of machines, with a whole range of prices:confused::confused::confused:. It depends on what u r looking for. Chk this site of a visual sample of some of what is being used: http://www.photostringer.com/ :D

Personally I got a TF6000 from Tecnifibre:cool:
    Good luck with yr search

13. Olekingdom

Olekingdom New Member

Bartender
    I live in little rock, Arkansas, USA. I cannot find the shop that can string for me. Anybody knows where I can find it. Please let me know so I can contact them with phone or email.

14. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I do it myself.

Initially my dad bought a stringing machine so he could learn something new. I watched him string a racket one time (after he learned how), and then I did my first string job by myself just to see if I could do it. Although the knots weren't necessarily in the "right" places (according to the Yonex stringing pattern), the racket played fine. After that, it was just a matter of practice before I started stringing rackets for my club. Along the way, I gained some insights by watching some stringers in China and from perusing this forum. In this past year alone, I probably saved myself $200-300 in labor fees alone (assuming labor to be $10/racket).

15. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Where i string is the racket head, anywhere else it just doesn't work :p

But i go to my local sports shop, they get the job done quick. Take a racket in one day, if they have the strings its done quickly. If not they order the strings and its done the next day. Bloody fast really. They keep a record of your string history on whichever racket so you can keep track of what plays best.

16. SamsonSun

SamsonSun Regular Member

Student
    I know how to string. But I don't have a string machine...So I go to string where I bought the racket...

17. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    They let U? On their machine? I wouldn't, no offense.

18. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Maz,

If you need help, I am quite happy to teach you how to string - it is actually quite easy to do, but everyone has their own method. I generally work to manufacturer's recommendations. I have two machines, one is a very old 1982 StringsAll (2 point drop weight) and the second is a recently acquired (given) Klip Pro G which is equivalent to the Gamma Progression II 602FC. I am currently modifying the Klip to mount badminton racquets properly, once this is done, I will be back in the stringing game for tennis and badminton.

-John

P.S. Everyone is welcome by the way, as long as you are in Sydney and can travel.

19. mail43249

mail43249 Regular Member

That's one helpful enthusiast. If only I am in Sydney, I will come to learn.

20. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Or maybe I can come to Singapore. I used to go to Singapore for many years - travelling through asia as part of my job, but due to outsourcing and globalisation, I stopped doing this a few years ago. I used to play at Thomson CC with people from the local company office.