Short, skinny, weak looking... monster player.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Big L4, Dec 23, 2007.

1. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    dont call them monsters. they just have good technique. plus a big muscular guy might have lots of strength, but if he picks up a racket and start smashing, most of his power will be diffused if he does not apply the proper swing.

2. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Never meant any offense with that word, it's more of a exaggerated compliment. When compare two players, short and a tall strong one, I notice that the big guy always do bigger movements than the other player who's only flicking his racket. Normally, doesn't a big swing generate more power than a small one?

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Depends. If you can pronate at the end, use finger power, etc, a big swing will have tremendous power because of the last second acceleration of the swing, in addition to the speed of your arm motion. However, if you don't do this stuff, then a big swing will be weaker, because you're not providing that last second "oomph" to the swing. A player who can accelerate their racquet like mad from a short swing is more powerful than a person who puts all of their strength into making a large, arm powered, motion which doesn't actually move their racquet all that fast.

4. Biscuit5

Biscuit5 Regular Member

salesman
    Good players come in different size and shape, all of them would have good badminton strokes and footwork, but what separate the best from the good are their mental strength. So, no point arguing about physical size, what matter most is the substance in between our ears.

5. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    OK OK, then it's a big mix of factors. I got it!

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    put it simply, compare what happens when you burn barrel of petrol slowly, and when you explode it all at once. explosive force, in a short amount of time, provides a lot of power. i've read somewhere in this forum, that a good smash is 60% technique, 30% muscle, and 10% racquet.

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    yes, big swing does produce more power, but the small guy knew how to concentrate the power and the big guy had diffused power, and he is probably wasting strength. but if the big guy knew how to transfer the power then his smash would be more powerful than the small guy

8. niteeshs

niteeshs Regular Member

Engineering
    In other words, if you swing hard, but tend to "slice" the shuttle or hit the shuttle in wrong position/time, most of the swing power would go wasted. It takes a lot of practice to get these right. Probably, the shorter guys are practicing more to get better timing and stamina. Also, bigger guys have problem handling fast change in direction of shuttle or shuttle hit directed at their body. These are general observations from my experience, although if bigger guys develop agility, they could become better players.

9. djyu42

djyu42 Regular Member

Student
    I am 6 feet or 6 foot 1 and only 140 pounds, people say i look like im 125 pounds but during high school i smashed the hardest, its all in the wrist and technique of how u hit, but right now my wrist is injured :(

10. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    It's not to do with swing. You can hit an incredibly hard smash with virtually no swing.

It is part technique, but once the technique is nailed, someone (Gollum I think) mentioned that it's about explosive power within the muscles. That's why training for bulk means your muscles aren't as effective because they aren't built for it. Hence a leaner, more explosive framework is better.

#30 UkPlayer, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Yes like what has been stated many times before here it is a mix of factors, a big swing is less effective because it takes more time and can in cases use more energy. A compact swing is where you see the power and speed comming from because the motion is fast and explosive which generates the power with this comes your muscles and how they are trained being bulky has its disadvantages being lean/tones has many advantages in badminton and you have to train your muscles to be explosive and able to preform the compact swing that will generate the power as well as having the right technique and using your body, pronation, etc all to your advantage.

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    You're right about the importance of explosiveness, but I think 'virtually no swing' is a bit exaggerated...lol.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A few weeks back I saw a brother and sister who were about 10 to 12 years of age playing some of the most elegant and powerful strokes I had ever seen from such small and slender bodies. Today I chanced to see her play again, in two tightly fought singles sets, against her coach. The coach has a very evil high serve, like those that go up, up, and then drops vertically, but this little girl had no problem with his serve. Her coach is a former singles champion of one of the provinces of China. This little girl just turned 10 this week and she weighs slightly less than 30 kilogram! She also trains under another coach, a former Chinese national squad memberas well as a former Hong Kong ladies singles champion. It happens that both her coaches are my friends, and they told me that this little girl has great potential. In today's coaching session this little girl also served as a co-coach to her coach. She can hit as hard as her coach although she is a bit lacking in experience in allowing her coach to get out of hopeless situations with deception. I did notice that this little girl uses her body like a finely-tuned and highly-sprung spring, using her body core like a Lin Dan. Simply amazing.
    So, size alone is of no help.

14. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

in badminton taller and longer arms may actually be a negative thing. the whole swinging motion (clear and smashing) is based on the force enduced from the torq of the body. taller and longer arms means the body has to produce more energy to get the racquet to travel through air and hit the bird. also, bigger guys with lots of muscles have extra weight on them, which makes it harder to move around and jump compared to a skinier guy.

now i'm not saying that shirt skinny midgets will have an absolute advantage, but the game of badminton is all about balance. you need the right body mass with your height and the right technique to produce the right amount of explosive energy at the right time, then POW, that's the power transfered from your body to the bird at the point of contact. :)

another really good analogy is why you don't see so many huge buff marathon runners. well, all those muscle in the chest and arms slows the runners down. sure longer legs and huge leg muscles will give you power, but in the long run, it's that mental sharpness and the body that's shaped to the sport that counts.

15. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Well, the ans to all your questions. Just look at kido. Small guy with lots of muscles.:D:Dperfect combination!:p:p

16. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    I am only 5' 3" and smash the hardest in my team.
    Breaks string every session (BG80)....!
    For me ....Techniques + Speed = Power.

I am like Markis KIDO....lol...!!!

17. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Break strings every session means you are hitting it wrong.... :D

Hannibal127 likes this.
  18. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Maybe :D but if you watch pro doubles players take out loose shuttles over the net with no swing I would bet the shuttle moves faster than most amateurs full smash ;)

19. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

Breaking strings every session,.. Hmmmm.

Check you're not twisting the racket head at the last minute,... Strings are made for head on impact, so A proper smash hit correctly should not bother them at all,.. Sliced or miss hit smashes (coupled with fancy slice drops and disguises) will gobble strings up like there's no tomorrow.

Having massive muscles in badminton is a hinderence,.. They restrict rotation of your body (especially around the shoulders, waist and back) meaning you lose a lot of swing and a lot of movement necessary for generating racket speed. a lot of work is needed to get a big guy/girl to hit the shuttle as hard as a skinny guy because they need to learn to rotate their body with the shot to use the muscles that will give the power to the racket.

The reason a lot of little guys can hit so hard is also an illusion in some cases,.. A smash from a little guy will naturally be a lot flatter (unless they're jumping) than that of a taller guy, so the smashes are harder to return and are not as easily countered by the standard 'racket down' return for an angled smash. Just seems faster because it's coming at your face lol!

Hannibal127 likes this.