Misbun quits as national singles coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It could all be a cost -cutting exercise, say you have $2K and go shopping, you have to plan how to use your money.

In the case of BAM/NSC they have to decide how to allocate expenditure, in this case for eg.invest in LCW winning OLymp 2012,

or invest in building a strong team etc.etc.Spend too much on sth and you lose sth else, probably one alternative is to assume

that certain things are not worth investing anymore (eg.successful players can take care of themselves financially) and

struggling players should be allocated more resources with a view for the future.

A lot of flak has been thrown at the BAM and NSC but I think so far their actions at least seem to me quite logical seen from

the point of view of accountants ie.allocation of scarce resources.

Just like the doctor in war, whether to administer drugs to the stronger or weaker or weakest.

I dont scan internet for politics at all ,I've given up on it, but I have heard some rumours on the high pay of certain coaches

but cany find anything on it.

When you are earning high pay for years trust the accountants to assess your productivity, are you producing the results

to justify your pay. This is the concept of "productivity" as opposed to high income for doing little.They are thinking whether

the money invested in a program can be spread out or reduced or terminated altogether.

I never knew coaches salaries were so attractive, I wonder why people like Ong Ewe Hock, Wong Choon Han,etal.prefer to do

business.

Well anyway, this is just sth to think about,all the truth will come out eventually.

In the meantime, I hope there will all be more alternative views on this matter, there are simply

too many answers from the same sources .

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Standard pay for a local sports coach is 18 K?

Many professionals like Architects, Engineers, Accountants dont even get paid Rm 7-8 at the peak of their careers.

Even Senior Managers rarely touch 5 figures.

If what you say is true definitely there is a lot of incentive for youngsters to excel in sports , it is more lucrative than

slogging in U.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

What you mean 'not yet cut'? Even USD5,000 not high, very standard only. Supposedly Korea paid that to TKH(official sources) & Spore to their foreign coach(BC sources :p).
    Ppl like Morten Frost, Yang Yang, their rates should be higher.

:D

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Dont mix Expat pay with domestic rates.

Expat rates are high because they have to relocate families,find new housing,schooling etc.etc.

It is really nice for a local to be paid at an expat rate.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

In the UK the pay for a fresh graduate is sth like Rm 15-18K, whereas in msia a fresh graduate would be lucky to pick up

Rm 2.5-3K.But in terms of living standards, they are both about the same because of high cost and taxes in UK.

A fresh graduate in Singapore is paid about Rm 7-8 K.

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Some of you are probably asking why I am discussing all this, nothing to do with badminton.

It is relevant in the sense that when times are tough people come out with their axes and see if your pay

justifies what you are achieving or whether you should be made to achieve more.

7. eaglehelang

.............wrong post...........

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i also don't know what cut ;)

that was supposed to be the amount but no :D

anyway not all got that amount la, assistant coach i asked about half of that only ;)

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i don't think coaches salaries can be used to compare other professions even if its a profession by itself

simply there are less employer for baddy :D lol

most of the local coaches still gets a 4 figure in ringgit :D

and it comes with a yearly contract, no results no contract

whereas a manager for an underwear co. got sacked

can always apply for a brassiere co. ;)

10. eaglehelang

THe USD5,000 is worldwide, for Msian coach working in Msia, I heard is RM10K. But better you see pbm's post on that, he has more insider sources for badminton.

Compare to CTF/LWW when they went independent, the media reported they were paid RM7 to 8K per month by their sponsors. So, unless the sponsor announce wrong or reporters heard wrongly....players earning RM10K above is very possible, but only IF they have made their mark in the International scene.

Sports, well, only if they excel, then good. If they dont make it or if they get injured, gone case. Becoming coach, only if they successful to become national coach, or junior coach(BJSS in Msia context) then can earn better amount. Small time coach teaching kids, RM3k also hard

#330 eaglehelang, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    hey, my info very little, only a few la ;)

but what you stated amount is somewhere there +/- of course lol

and yes plus sponsorship endorsement and winnings :D it can go until 6 figures rm.

for part time coach, salaries can be from rm 350 - 500

for full time msn i think it starts from rm 2k onwards renewal yearly contract.

maximum pay i really don't know;)

for private coach i suppose its private :D should be 3-5k rm :)

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Many ex-players do not join as coaches simply because their starting pay is believe it or not Rm2k.

And some back -up players moonlight and earn Rm2k part-time in clubs on top of their Rm500 allowance.

But when coaches are paid 40 K (probably before "cut") then tongues start wagging and it is not because they have to spend to relocate to another country with high costs.

After that with an entourage to ***Inc, it is a big bill ,which may be Rm1 million a year,if you were financial controller you will

think of some kind of review. The you start suggesting that big bird supports itself and lets the little birds feed on the remaining crumbs.

Now I am not slighting any player or coach, they have done well enough, I am just using figures to second guess why some say

there is some kind of conspiracy theory.

Like it or not this sort of thing goes on everywhere (now what do they call it 'restructuring","downsizing" etc.)

Anyway this is what I guess from all the hissings from the disgruntled and rumours (probably there may be some comments in rogue sites) but I think it would not be surprising these things are going on in this day and age.I dont necessarily agree with it,

but like i said I am just guessing what some of the so called'Top" people are thinking.

It is merely a possibility based on some of the official news published.

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Fang Kai Xiang was employed as National coach in 1988 and was paid Rm 800 a month.

If badminton coaches can earn 5 figure salaries a month in Msia , then better tell your children to

stop after SPM, you really have to work until you go crazy to be able to graduate from U and after that

torture and long hours at work.

Sports is better and you get to enjoy what you are doing.

I think in 2011 enrollment in U's will decline.

It is time to start the national league what with all the private clubs blooming.

Time also to dangle that big carrot to the back-ups and wake them up!

#333 Bbn, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    any news on what the ex-co and president earns? ;)

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Few years back an ex-national moved down to JB where he could earn 10K a month just by renting courts

and giving coaching sessions.Probably still doing OK.

In all probability Misbun or even HH do not even have to work for Nusa, using their names, they could even make more

by conducting similar sessions in affluent areas like Wangsa Maju or Keramat/Setiawangsa and be able to promote their brand of badminton to people who appreciate them.

Just like what Ong Beng Teong is doing now, but he is rich enough to own his own halls in Batu Caves and SS2.

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Dato N and Z should be fired

Based on the comments made by both Dato N and Z, it indicates ignorance and power show on their part.
    These two guys have no measure of LCW's value.
    Do they realise that some other sponsors are waiting for the opportunity to sign LCW up? What Yonex pays LCW through BAM is gonna be nothing compared to when LCW goes independent? If LCW goes independent, Yonex will have to pay a huge sum for LCW to outbid Li Ning or some other smart sponsor.If Yonex pays LCW a huge sum, how much would there be left for BAM? Do they now realise that LCW has been subsidising BAM because Yonex's deal may be largely due to LCW? What would happen to Yonex sales if LCW got snapped up by Li Ning?

Having to file reports to management after each loss is such a childish policy.

I'm just amazed that MS has so many charges under him. That means LCW probably has only 50% of a coach. (Nicole David has one fulltime coach plus another trainer. LD probably has TXH to himself plus some other coaches.) LCW's return on investment for BAM must be priceless yet they call him ungrateful. LCW would have easily have paid back what BAM has spent on him. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a reality check on LCW's value, BAM is actually effectively owing LCW money.

Yet it wasn't because of money that MS quit. Most likely, it's because both these bosses are harassing and preventing MS from doing his work properly.

And if LCW follows MS, it wouldn't be because of loyalty. It would be more because his coach gotta be world class and good enough for him with instant rapport.

17. eaglehelang

http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/SayamasihperlukanMisbun_ChongWei/Article/print_html
    Titled : I still need Misbun. LCw said although Misbun was not with him in person in Taiwan, they still keep in contact thru phone. Misbun gives game analysis. LCW will wait for the final decision on Misbun's resignation before deciding to quit BAM or not.

http://www.hmetro.com.my/articles/BAMrisaupenajajauhdiri/Article
    Titled : BAM worried sponsors will keep away
    THe BAM Treasurer said if LCW leaves BAM, sponsors will follow suit & BAM has to a) find other sponsors quick b) More Development at grass root level is needed.

FUll translation, use google translator

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I can't afford lcw. I am smart.. lol. ;)

Anyway, sponsor is a dicey thingy. Management wants control. Else, no point having a 'management'.

Yes, a pro requires a full time dedicated coach like Nicol or roger/nadal. ;)

I think there are lots of sponsors queuing to sign them up. Market is liquid. They should grab the opportunity. CIMB, Lining, victor, me, bmw, toyota, celcom, digi.. cash cow...moo moo.... etc etc.. lol.

19. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    from google translation, please don't laugh...lol

BERITA HARIAN

I still need Misbun: Chong Wei

2011/01/10

SEPANG: Despite the title hat-trick won the Super Series Masters Finals in 2010, the world number one, Datuk Lee Chong Wei, still hoping coach Datuk Misbun Sidek, got her back before the Open Championship Proton Malaysia Super Series begins on 18 to 23 January.

"I can not do anything because Misbun resigned at the last moment before I get ready to go to Taiwan.

"I really need her services (Misbun) and clearly interfere with concentration and focus my time in Taiwan," he told reporters on arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) from Taiwan, here today.

Chong Wei said, when the game was going, he will only concentrate on achieving success while hoping the issue Misbun and the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) can be solved as soon as possible.

He added that although Misbun has resigned effective national badminton singles coach December 31 last, "sifunya" still following his progress during the tournament in Taiwan.

"Misbun have called me in there with my match analysis. Though far away, I am glad that he keeps me abreast of the time," he said.

Asked about his desire to get out of the shadow BAM, Chong Wei said he was waiting for the latest developments Misbun resignation issue before making a decision.

"I want to know the results before I really decide whether to withdraw or continue in the association," he said.

Regarding preparations for the Malaysia Open tournament next week, Chong Wei said he will proceed with the guidance of a national singles coach again, Tey Seu Bock.

"My training will start tomorrow and I'll make the best preparation for the Malaysian Open next week and want to give focus to China to meet champion Lin Dan in the semi-final," he said.

Yesterday, Chong Wei opened the curtain of success this year with defending champions Badminton Super Series Masters Finals after champions Denmark beat Peter Gade in 40 minutes. - BERNAMA

.........................................................................................

from google translation, also please don't laugh...lol

MY METRO

BAM worry much self-promoter

NO involved world number one Datuk Lee Chong Wei, Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) may face difficulties in getting sponsorship.

It was acknowledged Hon Datuk Lim Teong Kiat, but he said it was not a barrier to the association for sponsors.

"Indeed, if Chong Wei is no longer with BAM, the business of sponsoring a bit difficult because the sponsors will have different views than it is now," said Teong Kiat answer the question if the Olympic runner-up was on track coach Datuk Misbun Sidek leave BAM.

Likewise, Teong Kiat said the search for sponsorship has always been a task of unity and the absence of Chong Wei is no excuse.

"We in society need to work harder if it happens. Society needs funds to build the grass roots. "However, Teong Kiat hope all parties not to speculate about the issues and possible resignation Misbun Chong Wei left the association after the players expressed themselves on track coach.

But if true thing that happens, the treasurer, said the association have to find other sponsors who wish to sponsor.

"If he (Chong Wei) would go to the sponsors also, of course pockets of association is a bit less but we need to start looking for other sponsors, it does not matter," said Teong Kiat contacted while in Alor Setar, Kedah.

He thought a lot of experience other than Chong Wei, ranked highest of the world can make a choice as to which direction will certainly not forget the responsibility of the state.

#339 pBmMalaysia, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If LCW leaves BAM and goes pro, LN and YYwill pay big bucks to endorse him. If LCW wins OLY12 and/or WC11 or several SS, he will hit the jackpot. BAM will be left out on sponsorship. IMO, that will be the short term forecast.
    If BAM is still in the business of grooming the next batch of national players and not all juniors can afford to hire pro coach to train them, BAM would still be in business as usual. I can see LN or YY, if either one fail to endorse LCW if he goes pro, sponsoring BAM during the next few years of lean development time while BAM is searching for the next great player. When LCW retires and the next MAS top player emerges from BAM, LN/YY would get payback for sponsoring BAM during the next few years and BAM would not forget this support and BTW, sponsoring BAM if LCW turns pro should be 'cheaper' too;)