Pursuit Of The Perfect Jump Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Mar 4, 2002.

1. b_davey

b_davey Regular Member

basically just practise it, go out in games and try to get the timing right. it is difficult at first, i remember never being able to do it, then i started getting off the ground a little, then more and now i can do a full out jump smash...if you cant get it, its not worth it. its better to have the technique and power down than it is to have a jump smash.

2. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

+1.

Jump smashes are fun to watch, but are they essential in badminton? That's debatable. My answer's no.

The way I see it, it's actually much better to perform proper standing smashes at close range. There's less distance traveled to the ground, which means less chance of the shuttle drastically slowing down and being received successfully.

My two cents :)

Aventus likes this.
  3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

But they are cool, and usually more steeper when executed correctly. Steeper usually makes it harder to intercept and also, it may put more pressure on the opponent. It's an extra weapon in your arsenal.

4. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

That's just about the only thing I see in favor of a jump smash: the intimidation factor, and getting to the shuttle earlier.

Steepness of angle doesn't even have to come from getting airborne. It's in how you hit the shuttle.

Aventus likes this.
  5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Er...if you hit the bird the same distance from your head, your jumpsmash will always have a higher contact point, thus creating the ability to get a better angle. A sharper angle means a shorter path from the bird to the floor. If you contact the bird earlier, and the bird takes less time to reach the floor, your opponent has to react a lot faster. If they're not fast enough, you get the point. Jump smashes have a lot of benefits, but should only be used as killing shots.

Aventus likes this.
  6. sikkony

sikkony Regular Member

Student
    Or to show off.

7. tansarbh

tansarbh Regular Member

Well, jumpsmash is my dreamshot for a long time and since I don't have any formal trainer or someone like that, I am still dreaming about it. I sometime jump for the bird but, I would't call it a jump smash.
    People or the other players say that I am quick and I don't need to jumpsmash since its tiring. But stil, I ould love to learn this someday.

8. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    i always jump for smash. but i dont think i make the correct jump smash:D. we realy need a coach.

9. williamboo

williamboo Regular Member

hey guys, first time here in the tech forums, jumpsmash is quite an eye catching word for most of us. i m more of a double player, i move better in double than single, too heavy can't really move in singles lol...haven't been training for years, lost all my speed and strength. i try to smash into the net so taht the net could split into half

10. williamboo

sory, my bro wrote that, does anyone have any good site that teaches jumpsmash like from the starting move and which muscles are involve, detail answer i mean, i know most of this are learned from badminton coach but i was wondering if there's site that possibly teaches jumpsmash. i m able to do jumpsmash myself but not finding it strong enough, i got the angles and placement just that i don't have the strength. i tend to use my body weight to jumpsmash...i think i m executing the movements properly, if possible could i post a video and someone could correct my movements, thanks

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

12. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

Just thinking aloud here:
    It seems a player has to finish his/her court movement first before he/she leaps to the air powered by both legs. It's a bit similar to volleyball in this aspect.

A question:
    Does anyone know of any examples where a player is moving forward/backward/sideways while airborne...and still successfully performs a jump smash? Or does all lateral movement have to be finished before the deed, and the jump performed strictly vertical?

13. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    well perferabley not exactly vertical, if u have enough time to get in position
    the ideal situation would be get behind the bird like a step further back and leap slightly forward , helps maknig the weight transfer more effective
    and u get little extra momentum to inital movement right upon landing (most obvious application would be the follow up net kill after a good quality smash)

Aventus likes this.
  14. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    for that case, you got to watch a full match of tournament video. watch how they play especially in singles, there are many example of how to get into position of smashes, in many different ways. their steps is very good.

15. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    the frist video is very good, dont forget to watch both halfs though that is part 1, watch part 2, just one comment keep following throught, the teacher is snapping his wrist then whipping it back like a whip, you will lose a bit of power and accuracy doing this(but keep thinking about the whipping motion its important) but you must follow through with the racket head facing towards the ground or slightly behind you with the wrist doing a complete 180 degree pronation.

16. williamboo

thanks for the video.. a really nice vid, good explaination. I agree with type 100 that we have to finish our court movements before we do jumpsmashes.

17. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

Thanks.

It seems logical to end all court movement before the jump. If you're jumping while still chasing the shuttle, I think the tendency is to launch only with one foot or leg, hence your jump elevation isn't maximized.

Moving quick enough to do all of that on a consistent basis---now that's the challenge. :)

18. VetChamp

VetChamp Regular Member

I would recommend 'growth' anytime to a 'jump smash.:D

19. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, keep in mind that Zhao isn't 18:p and he says he has a should injury. Also, from his day and age a swing liek that was taught to a lot of people.
    And, not to forget, it's more of an introduction to the jumpsmash video.

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Trust me when I say it has to end at some point:p. Growing completely messes up your timing, jumping ability and motor skills...

yes...I'm 6'7'' (if I converted 1.99 correctly..) but I've finally stopped growing!:D

I think I can consider myself an authority on growing;):eek: