Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What do you mean? Something big and nasty that has turend the world upside down?

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Just pity those outlets who didnt see it coming. Didnt you know Orchard Rd got flooded? I guess it is the first time in modern singapore that Orchard Rd got flooded. I guess the rain just came down too much and too fast.. if it happens in KL.. probably KL will get submerged...

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, I read this bit of news in the Straitstimes. It is rather surprising that the heart of the city is being flooded, because Singapore is a very small island where water from rainfall drain off easily into the sea. I can understand a place like KL, being far away from the sea, being easily flooded, due to its topography and perhaps poor town planning. But to see this happening in the heart of Singapore is rather surprising. Maybe, all the monsoon drains were either clogged with rubbish or the design of the monsoon drains fell short.
    Perhaps Loh can share with us about what and why it happened?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Correct me if I am wrong in saying that some high end retailers in the heart of Singapore complain that their basements get flooded every year! Now this cannot be true, can it, every year?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Loh, why is this in the Singapore Also Can thread? Maybe you had wanted to post it in the Malaysia Boleh thread but got the two mixed up? Even then it doesn't quite fit the Malaysia Boleh thread because of its negative connotation.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Why not? You have an objection? Do I have a choice since this thread is started by me? Or you are still trying to instigate to get my thread banned as you've done unsuccessfully before?

Since you are so interested in my answer I'll satisfy your curiosity.

I think our leaders consider law and order very important to the ensure the safety of residents and to the running of a successful economy. With so many foreign workers in Singapore, it is important that Singapore sends a clear message to them that crime does not pay and the law will sooner or later catch up with the criminals.

The foreign workers in question found jobs in Singapore and get an income. Instead of being satified they want more money and resort to crime. They robbed and killed another foreign worker for resisting. Some victims got so badly injured that they have to remain in hospital and may not get any compensation. They may have to wait to be sent back to their home country with no prospect of getting another job.

Now, the Singapore police has to act fast to catch the culprits and to bring them to justice. Otherwise others may take this as a weakness and resort to more crime. And investors, visitors and law abiding residents may lose their confidence in our Singapore system.

That's why Singapore has to pursue the Romanian ex-diplomat car accident case to get justice done, although the victim who died was a Malaysian worker.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Please don't act as though you know all the answers and continue with your ridicule and negative comments about Singapore again. No wonder you were once branded as an old "broken record" that kept repeating itself. You talked as though this has not happened in other cities, only in Spore.
    The reasons have been well publicised through the media and it will do you well to read them with a good pair of glasses just in case you miss the crucial points.

The flash flood, as the name implies, came suddenly as a result of continuous rain for a relatively long period. Some underground drains were unable to cope mainly through poor maintenance and the rain water just overflowed and caused flooding over certain areas. As suddenly as it came, the rain also stopped quite abruptly and the situation has reverted to normality, at least for today.

The flood has caused damage to some affected shops but some can claim from insurance.

This is not like a tsunami that can cause landslides and severe damage to property and loss of lives. In our flash flood case no lives were lost.

This is not as bad as the foreign workers who not only robbed but also killed another worker and severly injured others. If our police did not act fast enough, more damage to property and lives could well occur.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Jun 17, 2010
    Badminton tourney hit by leaks
    By Lin Xinyi

THE badminton games were played indoors. But the Li-Ning Singapore Open still could not escape yesterday's downpour.

Rainwater leaked through the roof of the 20-year-old Singapore Indoor Stadium, resulting in play on one of the four courts being suspended for most of the event's second day.

It led to a backlog of games stretching close to three hours.

Tournament referee Isabelle Jobard had little choice but to postpone 10 of the 80 matches, including those featuring 2006 men's singles champion Peter Gade and reigning women's singles world champion Lu Lan, to this morning.

'If we had continued, some of the matches will go on till as late as 3am,' said Ms Jobard. 'The decision was in the best interests of the players.'

Ms Denise Marsh, Singapore Indoor Stadium's chief executive, said the tournament is the first event to experience such a delay since the building was completed in 1989.

----------------------------------
    loh, singapore need to fix that stadium roof. :p:D

9. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

or else it's gonna turn inton the S'pore version of Putra Stdadium.i heard that insurance group aviava ain't no longer the title sponsor of singapore open.there goes the insurance company to cover the damadges.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    insurance companies are smart, they know their statistics and who, when and what not to insure;)

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Actually the SIS is quite old and has suffered leaks before. But I'm sure there is insurance coverage to handle any damage issues.

Thanks to Aviva who has been a strong supporter of the Spore Open for a number of years. Although Aviva has pulled out, the company continues to support other sports in Spore.

It appears that China sports equipment giant Li Ning wanted to sponsor the Spore Open very much and they must have made a generous offer which can't be refused by the SBA. Li Ning has supported many badminton tournaments here and will continue to do so for a longer period I believe. The company is now the main sponsor of our national team. In any case it is good to have as many sponsors as possible so that the financial aspects especially can be taken care of.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is what the Singapore flood is all about www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_541057.html.
    The flood in Singapore's city center actually happens every year when the basement is flooded, according to shop owners. Also, flash floods are not the main reason for the floods, because both Singapore and Kuala Lumpur have monsoon drains to take away even large volumes of water. However, those drains can only work at maximum capacity if they are not clogged.
    Already, Singapore lawmakers are asking in Parliament and pointing the finger at PUB for a sloppy job in not clearing the drains frequently. Inspecting the drains once in every 6 months is asking for trouble. Even once every month as now suggested is not adequate.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Loh, at least your Singapore news media is more forthcoming about the real reason causing the the floods, www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1063889/1/.html.
    Debris and vegetation the main cause of the clogging, the news say. But then the public and the affected shop owners will the ask why were they there? As Singapore is very severe on anyone who litters, where did those debris and vegetation come from?
    I think someone should get the sack for this public relations setback. It is another Mas Selamat type fiasco.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sure as usual, you know all the answers. I think you should tell yourself it's none of your business how Spore is managed.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I have never claim I know all the answers. If I did have such magical powers then Everyone Also Can many times over, including Singapore Also Can. But that is not to be.
    Of course it is none of my business about the floods in the heart of Singapore. If it were, I would have been either grilled to toast or might even become your saviour.
    I only offer my own humble opinions and thoughts. Sometimes they make sense, other times they make some lone souls unhappy.
    In a way I may sometimes appear to be a foil to the mythical Don Quixote!

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Foreigners commit only about 20% of all crimes in Singapore, the remaining are committed by Singaporeans. However, this is for total criminal acts and not for murder or murder suspects specifically.
    I am sure all crimes, serious and the not so serious ones, are reported fairly and not biased against foreigners by the Singapore media. I am sure that may be the case with the Singapore news media, but here in Singapore Also Can, one gets the impression that only foreigners commit crimes, including murder, but Singaporeans are guilt-free. Is this the case, Loh? If so, how extraordinary!

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You must have given them words of wisdom (advice) about risk management. Tell me, Cooler, is BP insurable, considering that the US administration has now got their $20 billion of flesh?

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm surprised you think this way, after so much negative comments on Spore and after trying to impress us with your knowledge on Singapore. You are extraordinary with your often biased comments and judgements on Spore and you are still trying hard to put us down and expect to get off scot-free.

19. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Prior to the BP situation, I bet there are insurer's that will underwrite these and that and everything in between for the ''root of all evil'' (love of money)...therefore, I'll just rephrase: there are insurers, there are re-insurers, there are re-insurers' insurer, then still, there are re-insurers' re-insurers' insurers:cool:!

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Foreigners in Singapore make up to slightly more than 25% and they commit 20% of all crimes in Singapore. Statistically, Singaporeans commit a higher percent of crimes. So why the bias and your own pick of Sarawakans in particular, who are Malaysians, in your unfair assessment that only foreigners commit crimes? Foreigners are also humans too and based on Singapore government records they also commit less crime proportionately.
    Loh, what do I say above that is against Singapore. In fact your government is very professional, telling things as they are. But we don't get the same type of opinions here. Herein lies the difference.