New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    I think Chen Hung Ling from Chinese Taipei uses the MX80.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Looked more like a SW35 in the most recent tournament with photographic evidence ;) (Swiss Open 2011), unless he switched during the Asian Championships. SW35 for Hsuan Yi Hsueh as well ...

[​IMG]

#1022 demolidor, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    that's the first time in my life seeing a professional badminton player with glasses!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you obviously have not seen me play. ;)

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Some players say I need glasses.....

:)

6. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    LCW used the Z-Slash for a few games, and Taufik liked it so much he had them make a boring arse black and red one. Yet I see the damn things everywhere. Didn't seem to hurt sales.

Anyway, I'd prefer it if we didn't rehash the naive "the pros don't use it so it must be crap" rhetoric. I'm not a pro, I don't care what LCW uses. The MX80 is a better racket for me than the SW35, despite what anyone else uses or thinks.

7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I actually think some 'pro's' are a bit regressive and lazy in that regard. It seems many don't want to learn new rackets in fear of losing their comfort zone or stride. I bet if LYD and co switched to the MX80 for a longer period of time they'd like or love it. Alas, they want to stick with what they're most used to.

8. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I've read many, in fact, too many nice reviews of SW35 (regarding head-heavy BP & stiff).. and then comes MX80, i wonder if it is any better than SW35. I might be buying either one of these rackets soon, so i just wanna make sure i spend the money at the right item. (another option is N90 too). I previously had purchased BS11 4U, SPIRA21 3U, Victor The Legend 3U, but BS11 & SPIRA21 end up as collectible items on my bag because they don't fit me very well (apparently these are not really head-heavy & stiff as i expected) . I still playing with Victor The Legend & Kumpoo PowerShot 2300H as i like them both (i can clearly feel the head-heavy BP & stiffness). Therefore, some advices regarding MX80 vs SW35 vs N90 would really be appreciated. I do love xtra-stiff & head-heavy BP rackets, i play double (mostly produce smashes, drop-shots, fast-drive, and if not required, i won't do clear-shot very often. I need heavier BP because my body reacts too fast with lighter rackets thus sometime i missed out the timing.)

9. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    I totally agree ...!!! so this mean if the pro doesn't use MX80 doesn't mean it's not good period.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Exactly. But I think it's probably safer to say stuff like:
    "the pros use it, so it can't be crap".
    "LYD doesn't think the MX80 is an improvement to his game. In fact, it probably makes his game worse"

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I don't think so. Personally, I don't think it's fair for any of us to make comments like that (not that I'm saying you can't...it's a free world after all hehe). They are pros, end of story. For a lot of them, their livelihoods depend on their badminton careers. I'd be willing to bet (not too much though hehe) that pros like LYD have spent more hours playing with the MX80 than you, period.

12. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    dude ... it's not fair to compare the pros with us amateurs ...
    they are in the league of their own
    of course they play more than us
    they play everyday for 8 hours while we play twice a week for 3 hours session

it doesn't matter if they spend more time to use any racket or what they are using
    a good racket is a good racket
    and MX80 gain a lot of good comments here from BC members

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I was never comparing the pros with amateurs. I was saying that it's not really fair to speak for the pros like that. Naim said that they are "lazy". I don't think pros are lazy, and you obviously agree with me too. And the most likely reason LYD switched back to the BS09 is not because he was lazy. It's probably because he felt it is a better racket for him than the MX80.

And of course, a good racket is a good racket. If I wanted to copy the top pros, I wouldn't be using apacs rackets as my go-to rackets would I?

#1033 ssj100, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Not necessarily so.

Likely it's because the top pros are in competitions all year round with perhaps only a few weeks of training and down time in between. So, if the new racket doesn't immediately click with them, then they can't afford to spend a few weeks to adjust and adapt to the new racket. That and perhaps superstition. :p

Why change if you're already doing well with your old one?

15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Exactly. Again, a new racket doesn't equal better performance. In fact, it can drag performance down.

16. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Well, you bought the wrong rackets for starters.

The BS11 is only mildly head heavy and medium flex so that's completely wrong for you. The MX80 is not a head heavy racket by any stretch (292-295bp) so really, the only Victor you should probably consider is the SW35 because it's really the only Victor that suits your 'heavy and stiff' criteria.
    You should keep in mind though, that the SW35 does not carry it's weight right at the end of the head like the Yonex do - it feels like an evenly weighted, heavy and stiff racket if you know what I mean. Even though mine had a 302mm BP, it doesn't really feel like it. It's just a big solid racket.
    The MX80 on the other hand has been described as a cross between the BS10 and SW35, and I think that's a fair description, without getting technical. It's more deft than the SW35 in my hands, and not appreciably slower than the BS10, yet packs a very usable punch. Best of both worlds, but if you're looking for a big solid heavy Victor, the SW35 is your one stop option.

17. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    NS9900 is one of the yonex legend, imo.:D

18. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I appreciate your point, and it could very well be the case. But I feel in many cases it's because they practise a lot more with their old racket than the new one. Just because LYD has used an MX80 more than me doesn't mean he's more used to playing with it, because for all we know he might still put 10x more time training with the BS09. Hence he'll still be more used to that.

Maybe lazy was the wrong word, perhaps I should have used, overly cautious? As mentioned above, they probably do have limited time between games and likely just stick to what they're comfortable with unless they get on with the new racket immediately.

As I mentioned in the Yonex 2011 All England video sharing thread. KKK and his partner could really do with some more aggressive rackets, because they are very strong and fast players, yet they aren't (imo) getting enough power in clears and smashes (on average). At least not in that finals game, and not in comparison to Boe and Morgensen. Clearly it's not their technique, physique or strength.

19. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    it's more likely fatigue because they play to many tournaments
    as we know Super Series are very competitive with all the world's best player competing
    so having to compete with all those very best players day in and day out
    they must be exhausted ... they need a break ...

20. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Likely true. Who knows, maybe they would be more likely to be injured using head heavier rackets too. Just don't know enough about all this to say for sure tbh.