Help to choose a racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by leovyn, Dec 29, 2012.

1. leovyn

leovyn Regular Member

I want to buy a new racket. But i have totally no idea which to choose. And my budget is about RM 100-200. Please tell me what choices do i have. Thank you very much. :)

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    read other posts and figure out the info you need to give before someone answers your question :)

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

There are a lot of members here in BC that are willing to guide you but you need to give them details about yourself as a player in order to understand what are the racket specification that possibly can suits your specification as a player. Kindly give details about:

1. Yourself
    Playing preferences
    - Single / double
    - Attacking / All round type of play
    Physical built
    - Arm strength
    - Swing speed
    - Any history of shoulder/wrist injuries
    Budget
    - Here you stated rm 100-rm 200

2. About your previous racket
    - Its specifications e.g balance etc
    - Any issue about it when you use e.g You're currently using a stiff racket and your having few mishits etc

SS

4. leovyn

leovyn Regular Member

I am usually playing double. I think i am all round type of play. What is that physical built meant? I have no idea what my previous racket is. I think it is just a normal cheap racket.

5. shooting stroke

Hi,

Well...never mine in regards with the physical question. So..
    - You're playing double
    - An all round player
    - rm 100- 200 budget

Those 2 earlier info. should narrow down what racket head balance specification that could suit you well. An even balance racket would be nice to be consider as it will be give you theoretically an even performance from all the 3 departments of play, offensive, defensive and control as you're an all round player.

As you're playing double as well, consider to search a light racket weight racket ranging anywhere from a 3U - 5U (larger the numerical, the lighter it's weight). Preferably a 4U is better. This can help much to ease your swings thus maneuverability.

Since you have no idea about the specification from your current racket and there is no description of your playing pattern then, for the racket's shaft flexibility, i would recommend a flexible to a mid flex for a start. If you can confidently access how fast you can swing as well as your swing strength, then that would facilitate much to zoom down what flexibility that fits well in regards with your swinging style. FYI, if your swinging style is slow then using a flexible racket would help very to unload a solid hit in any of your swings since the timing between the contact from your racket head and the incoming birdie will be appropriately synchronized with your slow swinging style since the flexibility of your racket shaft could match with your swing speed. This flexibility criteria as well can provide you an additional kinetic to add power in your hit if your swing strength is not that good. As your swing strength and speed improves, then upgrading the racket flexibility to match it with your swinging style will help much to unload a more solid hit.

There you are. Now you need to scout ALL racket shop in Malaysia:p for a racket with the below specifications that comes with a rm 100-200 price tag. This are some recommendation:

- 4U weight
    - Even Balance
    - Flexible shaft

1. Apacs

- Lethal 10 ( 4U, mid flex, even balance ) ~ rm 150
    - Finapi 101 (4U, mid flex, even balance ) ~ rm 150

2. Yonex

The lower end series of Nanospeed and Nanoray

- Nanoray 20 ( 3U, flex, light) ~ rm 200
    - Nanospeed 100 ( 3U, flex, even balance ) ~ rm 200

SS

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I agree with what Shooting Stroke wrote and recommended except for Nanospeed 100, it is HEAD-LIGHT, you may not like the lack of oooommmpphh if you love to smash but it is a QUICK racquet ... I would say, more for beginners starting out ...

7. leovyn

leovyn Regular Member

Thank you for your explanation. I have understand more about the racket that I want. But I have a few questions. An even balance racket means it is suitable for all round type player, right? What about a head heavy and head light? And is there a very big difference between mid flex and stiff shaft racket? I think i would prefer a head heavy, 4U weight, mid flex or stiff shaft racket. Do you have any recommendations within the price range? :)

8. leovyn

leovyn Regular Member

Thank you for your explanation. I have understand more about the racket that I want. But I have a few questions. An even balance racket means it is suitable for all round type player, right? What about a head heavy and head light? And is there a very big difference between mid flex and stiff shaft racket? I think i would prefer a head heavy, 4U weight, mid flex or stiff shaft racket. Do you have any recommendations within the price range? :)

9. leovyn

leovyn Regular Member

Oh i see. Thank you by the way. I like to smash. So I think it really does not suit me. :p

10. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

Head-heavy rackets are generally preferred by attacking players, and head-light rackets are preferred by defensive players. There will be a lot of difference in the way racket plays depending on the shaft stiffness. Generally a stiff racket shaft will be more difficult to play with, if you don't have the correct technique.

Voltric 7 from Yonex is 4U, mid-flex and head-heavy.

11. shooting stroke

If your arm strength and speed is descent enough to use a head heavy and stiff racket then you can try out the higher end of the tantrum, lethal or slayer series from the Apacs brand ( L 60, SL 88 , T500 Int. ) which will be slightly above your budget range ( ~ rm 200 - 300). Yonex or product from Victor for such specifications will be much more expensive.

In regards with the head balance, indeed a head heavy racket will help to add that extra push into your smash but then, unless your arm strength is powerfull enough to weild such specification then you will sacrifice your ability to control far lesser if you use an even or better, a head light racket for the sake of power.

I would recommend you to avoid using first a head heavy and stiff racket and even you have the arm strength and a smashing freak, using a racket that will give you better control in all your hits is far a better choice since it will further facilitate you as a player in improving your playing technique and such racket is far a better choice to invest. As your playing technique has improves and the quality of all your hits from the aspect of validity, control and power has been satisfactory then upgrading to a higher racket specification will compliment for such improvements in playing style.

If you want to improve in how you play, whatever brand of racket that you will decide to choose later should facilitate much in how you train and play in your path of improvements and not because your arm can wield it or because your friend suggest it or because you've read it's hype from an advertisement or because Datuk LCW using it.

SS

12. leovyn

leovyn Regular Member

Thanks again for your clear explanation. I think I should try a 4U weight, even balance and mid flex racket.:) Which one will be better between Apacs Finapi 101 and Apacs Finapi 88?