Who would win in their prime? LCW or TH?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by volcom, Dec 6, 2013.

?

Who would win in their prime? Lee Chong Wei or Taufik Hidayat?

1. Lee Chong Wei

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Taufik Hidayat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    That is what this forum is about, to 'voice your opinion'...definitely no offense:) Agree with you that LD in 2005 was not the LD in 2008 and LCW has improved to a higher level after 08 OLY.
    This discussion will not go anywhere, just what each of us feel. As for TH, I watched 'live' his journey from R1 to final in WC05...the composure, confidence, control, of course that backhand, TH was so steady that night that I would say that was TH at his very best. I am glad I made the trip to see WC05.
    LCW on the other hand, I cannot think of 1 tournament that can say LCW was at his very best EVER...consistency of course, LCW was very consistent in his career, even when he was beaten, he was still very competitive that he would not be blown away, that is a hallmark of a great player, also this is one reason I say LCW may be the best player MAS has produced.
    But TH vrs LCW, my coin goes to TH.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

erm.. 2008 Olympics MS Final? I think he'd blown away 5 mins into the final.

3. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    hmmm...I forgot this one, must be old age. You are correct, LD best performance IMO, and not only LCW but every player would get the same spanking on this night.

4. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-

I don think that taufik at his prime can even beat lin dan 2011 wc or 2012oly. Agree that lin dan has outshine lcw in the past. However the recent meetings were really close. Not say tat lin dan has slowed down , only lcw could touch him . CL couldn't give both of them a fight. And If lcw could b that close, I believe taufik at his prime will not beat him =p

N also don forget that wc was held in CHINA

And also ,lcw beat lin dan to win all England title. =p

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

More like Lee couldn't give both of them (Lin Dan and Chen Long) a fight since Lee lost to Chen Long 4 times in a row, all in straight games.

6. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-

check out their head to head meetings. Before Olympics lcw lost to CL 3 games. But when they met in semis. CL was outclassed. (watch that game)

after Olympics lcw lost all of the 4 matches to cl. But CL in 2013 wc could not give lin Dan a fight. Whereby lcw came so close even it was held in China.

To me : Lcw will not all out unless it is oly or world championship. My guess is CL will defend his All England title and if lcw were to meet CL in 2014 World champ, LCW will beat him. =)

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

there is where your logic failed you.
    LCW got closer to defeat LD than CL doesn't mean that LCW is better and can beat CL, it doesn't work like that as their latest encounters shown

8. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    then we have to see world championship 2014. =)
    lcw will lose to cl in all england 2014 . I guess =)

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think it doesn't work that way, not reasonable nor logical. It doesn't matter whether it's the WC or AE or any SS tournament, I'm pretty sure Lee CW won't want to lose to Chen Long four (or five) times in a row just so as to win one back, regardless what the occasion.

It's not as if Lee CW could play above himself at will on the occasion that matters to him to beat his archrival and is content to lose at other occasions. His record against Lin Dan at all the majors is very telling , isn't it? I mean, should Lee CW somehow manage to beat CL at this WC'14, it will only prove that it's a matter of time he gets one back between two players of more of less the same caliber and that occasion happens to be the WC, that's all.

Otherwise, their H2H , esp CL's last four two-straight-set victories in succession won't make sense, bearing in mind that Lee CW is no longer a young developing player but already at his peak or perhaps past his prime and at the tail end of his career at 31 years of age.

10. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    I guess you underestimated lcw. =x If he couldn't play above himself? How could he easily defeated CL in Olympics. When before Olympics ,whereby cl defeatd lcw in the past 3 meeting.

And put it this way,cl won 4 in a row after Olympics and plus this all England it will be 5 in a row. And what if they meet in world champ and lcw beats cl ? Becoz of luck or becoz of at his will=x

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This topic is being discussed in two places, there as well http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/139101-(MS)-Who-has-the-smoothest-footwork - refer to my post #11 in response.

Sure, Lee CW could play above himself, it's just that we don't know when , same goes for virtually every player. The funny thing is Lee CW failed to do it every time he met Lin Dan on the major occasions, so understandably I'm not too confident he could do it against Chen Long either. Anyway, human affairs are generally unpredictable, whether Lee CW can do it at this coming WC is anybody's guess.

The way I see it, the LOG semifinal between them is the exception in their last eight meetings - not a very convincing one at that when we take into account that he went on to lose for the umpteenth time to his nemesis Lin Dan in the final.

Honestly, I've no problem with Lee CW winning one major title before he finally retires but,admittedly, I'm not too hopeful about it, esp when he now have not one but two nemeses in Lin Dan, who is seriously making another comeback going by the reports I've read, and Chen Long who's already proven to be a real handful for him. As always,let the future tell.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i don't think anyone underestimated LCW but rather the other way round, times and times again!

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

you're absolutely right.

the best chance for LCW to win a major was the year when Chen Jin became World Champion in Paris after LD lost in the early round.

and who beat LCW then, Taufik no less.

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I think this thread is all about LCW vs TH. But it seems like some of ChenLong's fans and Lindan's fans started to show their supremacy in praising their gods. Let's stick to the topic.

LCW is all time favourite for his consistencies. Despite his older age, he was able to beat everybody except few .

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Whenever we discuss Lee CW and/or Taufik Hidayat, it is unavoidable or even inevitable that we sometimes bring in their respective rivals. Not to worry too much about the digressions as the poll is restricted to just the two of them. Anyway, much has been discussed about the two already, that's why the thread quietened down for a while before a new angle to the topic was brought up for further discussion and exchange of views.

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, these fans can't resist praising their idols. They forgot about the title.
    And since brought up CL, well, he chickened out at MAS Open 2014.

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

more like tire of beating the same old broke times and times again, not much of a challenge really

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You have to be a top player to be able to beat the same opponents over and over again and if this is the case, since there are no more resistance, may as well retire or change sport or look for other challenges in life.

Oops, got to stop. I was baited and have veered off the thread title.

#58 nokh88, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I have a conspiracy theory here. The CHN boys skipped MO is:
    to let LCW win his 10 MO and set a new malaysian record, after all what are friends for?:D
    To return the favor, LCW went to CHN to play MD with LD, see what are friends for?:p
    To travel from CHN to KL, too hot, humid and mosquitoes lah, room and board, play 5 games and the prize is like US$25K, divie that into 5 games, is $5K a game and say each game is average 30 min, US$166 per minute. Not worth the time lah:D
    LD makes more doing D&G commercial.:D

20. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Speaking of Lee Chong Wei's best tournament...That would have to be the All England 2011 wouldn't it?
    No one, not even Lin Dan was able to get above 17 points playing Lee Chong Wei. That was probably one of the best whole tournaments I've ever seen, LCW seemed impossible to beat that week. If he could had played like that more cosistenly I'm sure he would have won WC at least once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.