50 string jobs later.... what have I learned?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It also causes the string to project further out from the frame, increasing the risk of snapping it by glancing contacts with other rackets/the floor etc.

It's largely cosmetic, though, and being OCD even that single x-over annoyed me:mad:.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i believe Pete was talking about the twisting due to tensioning a pre-strung racket and not about crossover.

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Stringing has taught me to believe and being persistant in what i do. Stringing is easy. Its the process of getting past problems that is heart wrenching and frustrating.

What i would like to share is, not to give up at the initial stages. When i first started, i rely on videos and advices from proshops/coaches etc. When i first started, i have to admit, my stringing was sucky. String tension wasnt up to standard, (i even strung a friend's racket 76holes with the wrong stringing pattern). Strings kinked but i just tried to pull my way through the shared grommet.

It takes alot of persistence and support from friends to be the stringer i am today and i am proud of it!:)

My ever encouraging girlfriend is always there to say "its ok, just learn from it". punchclear who gave me lots of advices on stringing. Friends who have trusted me with their rackets from the initial stages till now. Thank you!

*As i am pretty small in size, and i just got a new machine with stand, my mum even jokingly offered to get a stool for me to stand on it.:p

Just never give up, there are tons of videos out there and advices in this forum. If anything that you cant find, just ask, bc is such a friendly forum:D I am pretty sure, we have the best badminton home stringers in this forum, and even some pros.:)

Have fun stringing guys!

4. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Erm... I know:
    - Your girlfriend encourages you, and
    - Friends trust you 100% with their rackets
    But...
    I don"t EVER recall having 'given you advice' on stringing... :p
    If anything, its YOU who keeps 'prodding and poking' me to improve as a stringer... :D
    And seriously...
    Sgbad is truly a stringer of the highest pedigree.

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes, fine string especialy the braided type willl get twisted and 'injured'.

but I could see a majority of stringers all go for the completed weave,

I still remember those stringers in jakarta doing the pulling in less than 10min,

there was 2 dept - the weavers and the pullers lol

here we can say they can't be professionals but when you see their string jobs

it was fantastic, they can pull the string until the string is near its maximum without breaking the racket !

6. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Thank you Master. :)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and i just hit 60.

recently it seems like everyone are breaking strings. must be the weather. ;)

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

... or the steroids.:rolleyes:
    (all the "kids" are so buffed these days. Good for them. And good for the stringing business!)

Did my twelfth last night. Beautiful red Mizuno string given freely by a generous Ailuropoda melanoleuca.

Getting a reputation can be tricky. Even when you're just stringing free for friends:

My first "customer" had the strings break within a week. I re-did it against my better judgement because the grommets were ratty. Sure enough, the second job didn't last any longer. Not so good for the rep.
    My second customer dared only give me a back-up (wise man). I thought I did a good job but after several months he has not condescended to use it.
    My third customer had his racket stolen before he got to hit one shot!
    C'est la vie!:eek:

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tough to string free. people usually associate cost with quality. so if you go too cheap, people think you are just beginner and screwed up their racket.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What about bartering :D?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Pete what kind of service are you looking for?

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..at the same time, if one charges too expensive and then the string breaks in a very short time, then people think the stringer is ripping people off..yes, i've heard people complain abt that.:p So, instead, they'll try to find other reasonably aka cheaper priced stringing service..
    For myself, i've been fortunate to find very good and reliable stringing service (labor only) for under $10, even under $8 (playing avg 2x a week)..:cool:

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

For those stringing jobs mentioned above I received a T-shirt and an IOU for 2 beer!:D

I'd be leery of bartering with Pete_LSD. He has strange and expensive tastes: :(:p

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?76922-G11-amp-Caseless-Ammunition&highlight=
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...2-Ancient-Chinese-Handheld-Weapons&highlight=
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?62406-European-cars&highlight=

14. Openg

Openg Regular Member

Engineer
    Well Kwun, i find that preweave must be done on 76 holes, cos hole A9 or A10 get covered by main loop.
    I broke the string when try to move the main loop, anyone suggest better option for that problem?

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes: use a six-inch scrap of old string (any stringer will have these lying around) and thread it behind the main loop BEFORE you tighten it. You can then use the scrap to pull the main loop out of the way. I assume you used an awl when you broke it...

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have always used my finger nails to move the string aside. seems to work so far.

Mark's tip is a good one!

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And attach the the loop's end to a starting clamp. Now it's a lot easier to pull the main string away and make way for the cross string.

18. Openg

Openg Regular Member

Engineer
    Mark's tips very good , heheee
    So i can move the loop by pull that old string, nice..
    Difficult to move with finger nail cos the tension was 28 lbs.

Thanks guys, its another progress i've got, heheehe..

19. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    If you're really good, you can do a reverse weave for prestringing to save string when working off a reel.

You weave the crosses first, in reverse, then weave the mains through the crosses. However this is a process I would not recommend to beginning stringers. I do this when I'm too tired of standing to actually string on my stand up.

Anyone know where to get those squishy mats that relieve foot fatigue?

20. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes, using a scrap string and sometime finger nail, especially the thumb works

normally, before stringing the main especially new racket i take the awl and carefully enlarge the the string holes (those holes that share string or in between 2 main string)

have to do it carefully and overdo it will damage the frame and the grommets

cheers