I broke my achilles tendon

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Mark, Feb 27, 2002.

1. denizen

denizen New Member

Achilles Tendon Rupture

Hi, just a followup on my achilles tendon rupture, I've been chronicling my experiences on: http://achillesblog.com/dennis

I’ve also been gathering and posting a list of external blogs and forums related to achilles injury, as well as other useful resources on the main site. I hope you find this useful.

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hey dennis -hope your recovery is going well..

NHS physio signed me off today - not surprising - i can walk without liimping now - and i'm starting to jog a bit - i've made an appointment with a recommended private physio to get me from just walking back to sport..

i know i'm getting better because i'm pretty comfortable bounding up the stairs - i suppose the next test will be if i can come down them two steps at a time as well..

good luck!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Shoulder surgery is pretty painful just after the operation.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yeah, tell me about it. ;)

Initially I was doped up on morphine and barely knew I was awake.

When the morphine wore off, my neck/shoulder/arm felt numb from the nerve block -- as though they were dead flesh. Ugggh.

When the nerve block wore off, I wished it hadn't. :eek: Thank god for dihydrocodeine. Shame it's so constipating, but it's a damn good painkiller.

#24 Gollum, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  5. bad4life

bad4life Regular Member

6. coops241180

Product Owner
    i'm totally totally agreeing with you on all counts of this.. especially the dihydrocodeine... wicked stuff.. especially the way it just wipes you out.. spent probably three days in a painkiller induced haze...

7. coops241180

Product Owner
    weeeee i hit a shuttle for the first time in almost 6 months last night :) nothing exciting.. just decided that i deserved to give myself a treat after working so hard.. all the balance work and conditioning work make a huge difference.. apart from not moving my feet i was told i looked solid..

no problems stepping in or across.. but the minute it was hoisted above and behind me i hit trouble.. automatically turning to go back.. and just as i was about to push off... i thought if i go for this like i'm supposed to i'm gonna put my entire weight thru the bad leg.. best stop now before i hurt myself :D

but it was great to get back on court for a bit of a hit about..

physio is pleased.. we did some agility exercises and lunges as well as some new calf strengthening exercises which work the other muscle in my calf. and some high kneed jogging on the spot.. after 20 minutes of work my foot was giving me serious grief.. but just from being out of action for so long.

all in all recovery is going great :D:D

Neil

8. coops241180

Product Owner
    i'm back :) well - almost

hi guys - just thought i'd let you know the physio signed me off today :D woop! - she's happy for me to start playing again. i actually think my balance is better than it was before my injury.. still working on the strength and fitness tho - but badminton can only help now :D

so i treated myself to a new pair of shoes :)
    [​IMG]
    they's so shiny - and you even get two sets of laces - so i can choose grey/silver or blue - i might even put one set on one shoe and the other on the other :D

the season is three months off.. i should be back in tip top form in no time :D:D

woop woop!

Neil

9. rissyli

rissyli New Member

Student
    Me too

It's been 97 days since I've partially ruptured my left Achilles tendon at a badminton tournament.
    I was playing singles and I lunged to get a really tight net shot and it just..."popped". And previously, I think I landed a badly attempted jump smash funny which was did the initial damage and the lunge was just the trigger.
    I'm not that old either (only a high school student). I play regularly and came first in mixed doubles for regionals and city finals.

I chose the conservative way to heal. I like it "natural," but now I sorta regret not doing surgery. I just got out of my walking cast yesterday. Right now, I can walk normal and go up the stairs, but going down the stairs is slightly painful. My tendon feels really tight and sometimes I can't walk in a straight line.

I'm looking to do physio soon and while I heal, I'm planning to co-teach a beginner badminton class 1) to teach others to play properly so they don't end up like me 2) to "play" badminton so my skills won't leave and 3) it's for a school project (Do what you love to do especially if you get marks for it =] )

I really hope because of my age and my determination, I can play on my school team again this year and not let my partner down and to prevent this happening ever again!!

I have to say three things:

1) Don't take life or anything in life for granted. You don't realize how important it can be until you lose it. Luckily I get my leg back, but some other things aren't that easy to get back.

2) Nothing is impossible. I got a wheelchair and I still went on the vacation my family had planned. I fell down and I got back up... literally. I learned to walk again.

3) EXERCISE AND WARM UP ADEQUATELY BEFORE DOING ANY KIND OF SPORTS/PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. I must stress this for I believe it played a major role in my injury.

Cheers~