Wang Yihan ( 王仪涵 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by suetyan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    So you're not bad after all. Yes a pretty name for a pretty feline.

So it is

Catherine Wang!

:):):)

And this name has the following description:

The girl's name Catherine is pronounced KATH-rin, KATH-er-in. It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "pure". Variant spelling of Katherine. This form of the name is also used in France. Catharine is the English-only form.

#421 Loh, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hey, what do you mean "not bad" :p. Boy my rep has taken a beating this week. robin7 doesn't think I'm nice anymore and god knows who have bitten their lips. :D

Perhaps suetyan can present this suggestion to her.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    It is not a prevalent custom for the English to have Chinese names.
    Why then must the Chinese have English names?

Isn't Wang Yihan good enough? :eek:

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The rise of giant-killer Wang

The Sundary Times
    March 15, 2009

All-England women's champion, 21, is tipped to be queen of Chinese badminton

By Leonard Lim

Eleven years ago, a scrawny Shanghai girl picked up her first racket and joined the city's badminton mini-circuit, her aggressive style and quick reflexes leaving a deep impression on her peers.

It was the start of an ongoing journey that has seen Wang Yihan carve out many highlights.

The latest came last Sunday when the unseeded shuttler upset defending champion Tine Rasmussen for the All-England crown.

Those who have seen the 21-year-old play say it is only a matter of time before she scales the summit of the world rankings from her current No. 11 spot.

Among them is Singapore's Xing Aiying, who featured at the All-England tournament in Birmingham and has known Wang since they were youngsters.

Said Jiangsu native Xing: "We used to practise and play against each other in Shanghai tournaments when we were around 10.

"Back then, Yihan was already very good. She was taller than everyone else, and her height and speed were big advantages."

Another one who has been tracking the 1.78m-tall Wang's progress is Yu Yilei, the deputy sports editor of the China Daily newspaper.

He said: "She's very quick, athletic and aggressive, and likes to approach the net."

Glance through Wang's short resume and a common thread emerges. She is not afraid when playing against star opponents, displaying composure, determination and a variety of skills.

Even before the All-England tournament, she had already upset some of the sport's luminaries.

At the age of 18, she defeated compatriot and then-world champion Xie Xingfang to claim her first title at the 2006 World Cup in Hunan.

That was just a year after Wang was drafted into the national side. Other big scalps included world No. 2 Zhou Mi during her victory at last year's Japan Open.

And, last week, in her second appearance at one of badminton's most prestigious competitions, Wang defeated three former All-England winners, including world No. 1 and top seed Rasmussen.

The giant-killing started in the second round when Hong Kong's Zhou was sent packing.

Beijing Olympics silver medalist and three-time All-England winner Xie was dispatched in the next round.

Throughout the competition, Wang's big-match temperament, astute court sense and skilful shot-making belied her tender years. Her superior fitness showed in the final's deciding third game, as Rasmussen ran out of steam.

One of China's more emotionally expressive players, Wang celebrated her 21-19, 21-23, 21-11 win joyously with Zhang Ning, her coach and current Olympic champion.

"That's how I am. I also express myself on court as I am a rather joyful person," said Wang.

Her rise comes at an opportune time as the Chinese women's team are facing a vacuum of sorts.

Zhang retired after winning a second consecutive Olympic singles gold last year.

Xie is already 28 and considered past her prime.

Said Yu: "I can see no weak points in Wang's play. She's an important player in the new generation, a future world No. 1."

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It will perhaps make her more appealing to the West, a name that European fans can associate with much better. Good for badminton worldwide! :D

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Thanks Loh for sharing the article, it is an good article :D I don't know Xing Aiying and Yihan practised together when they were kids. :D If I'm not mistaken, Xing is younger than Yihan?? I love this one: "She's an important player in the new generation, a future world No. 1." :D

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Goodness, we're just having a little fun. Loosen up, man ;)

8. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

How about Kitty Wang?? :D I think there is an english nickname called Kitty right?? :D

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Well, how about an Arabic name then? :rolleyes:

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well this is what I found out on the name 'Kitty':

The girl's name Kitty \k(it)-ty\ is pronounced KIH-tee. Pet name for Katherine (Greek) "pure". Also used as an independent name since before the 16th century. In the 17th century, it was used as a slang term for a woman of dubious morals[/I]

As you can see, Catherine seems to be the proper form for Kitty but Kitty also has a dubious past as a woman of ... :cool:

So which do you prefer, Cathering or Kitty? :D

11. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

haha, I am not the one who prefers, we should ask Miss Wang :D Maybe her answer would be: I don't like to have any nickname, call me Xiao Mao will do :D:p

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Feel free to make suggestions

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought Xiao Mao is her nickname but Catherine is a proper name.

Why don't you sound it out to Miss Wang and see whether she likes the idea? She will be the first CHN player to adopt a Christian name in the badminton circuit, not bad huh! She can bridge the West and the East and she will make her European friends happy as well, I think. :D

14. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I think she is not the first CHN player to adopt a Christian name, you know Wen Kai?? His english name is Kelvin :D

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

There is a thread some where that mentions CHN players with adopted English names... BCL, CY, FHF.

16. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

On the way to Basel

How cute is Yihan... :D

Attached Files:

17. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Super duper cute.

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

how about Lady cat?:D

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, maybe, but they did not use it openly as in the draws. Maybe the BWF insists on having names shown in their IDs? :(

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Now George has an eye for the Lady huh! :p:p:p