2 or 4 knots

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by otterfun, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Ok, so now you have given us the executive summary, where is the [insightful] theory? :p

2. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

did you have dinner with Mummy Sidek? just kidding. Goosh, This is like saying football is more skillful than rugby vice versa.... :( (pls don start arguing this unless you play both sports at professional level)

at the end of the day, there is simply not enough R&D in the stringing process. with all due respect to stringers, everything have moved on but many stringers still do what they did the first day they strung a racket. When asked to string at 24lbs, do you seriously think the end result you get at the racket face is 24lbs? there is no machine commercially available (that I am aware) to even check the string tension or its discrepancy. There are plainly too many influences from human factors.

the take home message is if you enjoy your game, who care if there are 2 or 4 knots on your racket. If you can't progress, do not blame the racket!

3. kln_stringer

kln_stringer Regular Member

Computer draftsman
    Hello Dillon,
    I am originally from Singapore and now living in Canada. i am a stringer, 4 knots is a better balanced stringing technique. I do both, 2 knots is very very slightly imbalanced. No differerence. Some people prefer to see less knots.

For me, i prefer 4 knots.

Regards
    keng

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

football is more skillfull than rugby! who are kidding?

Rugby - you need 2 hands, 2 legs and a brain.
    Football - one leg and half of a brain.

5. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Lol....add to tht listFootball - knuckles, elbows, knees, teeth ......

6. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

my regular stringer likes 2knot system. Guess he likes the victor way.

Then again he skips the second last cross at the bottom and he love hiding the knots. So on my nbg 98 strung rackets, it looks like there are no knots.

7. Blitzzards

The Victor 2 knot method is actually one of the best 2 knot stringing patterns I have personally tried. It shows that even with the 2 knot method you can get close to the stability of the Yonex 4 knot method.

But there is always a chance that your stringer is actually stringing your racquets starting from one side of the mains to the other side rather than going from the centre alternatively to the side as recommended by the racquet manufacturers. You will have to check that personally and physically see the stringing process to make sure he is not putting unwanted stress on your frame. People do that sometimes because it is the shortcut method and is simple and quick to do.

As for hiding the knots you better watch out of the knot as if it too small and placed too deep inside the grommet hole there is a chance that it may slip through the hole.

8. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

I was worried about the knot slipping through when I first had my racket strung by him. But it seems to holding up fine. I wouldn;t be using any strings less than 0.66mm thick though, so I don;t foresee any problems at the moment. Also, tension seems to be holding up quite nicely. which is very important for me since I only use 23/24 lbs and I rarely break string ( don't play or hit hard enough). I just like changing the string every half a year to ensure I get the most out of my rackets.

He definitely starts from the middle, I saw a racket on the stringing machine before.

9. Blitzzards

That is how a racquet should be strung properly, to prevent adding too much unbalanced stress to any part of the racquet.

You are lucky that your stringer does not take the shortcut route by stringing from one side to another :)

10. bigfishoz

bigfishoz Regular Member

Manager
    4 Knots Vs 2 Knots

I hope that discussion can go on a bit further - Simply I can see there is some misconception in the hotted debate-IMHO

Like Longer the string further it stretch (the rubber band theroy) cannot accept - Not - by ratio doesn’t matter how long the string is, it will stretch at the same ratio

1 Piece always have 1 tensioned knot and 1 non-tensioned knot - Not - 1 piece method can have both non-tensioned knots

1 Piece always start in the side so the racket shape is distored - Not - 1 piece method can also start in the middle to maintain the shape of the racket

4 knots is better than 2 knots - Not - Its all depends on the stringer not the method

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Dang! Between your knots and nots, I was getting all confused! :p But yeah, generally agree. :)

12. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Main reason is because Yonex said so. So I follow them, saves clients complaining

13. bigfishoz

bigfishoz Regular Member

Manager
    I dont have the preference either (for all my client) - but for myself, I love 1 piece simply because I can use haribito method

14. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I think with the older racquets and low tension, it didn't matter so much whether to use 1 piece or 2 piece stringing. I did go with 1 piece for a while many years ago, but now with the modern racquets and higher tension - I string according to manufacturers patterns. I have never broken a racquet while stringing, but I have heard that it does happen, and if the racquet was not being strung according to manufacturers instructions that they won't honour the warranty (assuming the racquet still carries a warranty).

15. r2fiqz

r2fiqz Regular Member

IT
    4 knot vs 2 knot

can someone tell me what actually the different?
    i really want to know.
    thanks

16. nivla76

nivla76 Regular Member

It depends on the basis of comparison as there are too many possibilities. 4 knots vs 2 knots:

Scenario
    4 knots:
    A) Most of the time an empty racket is mounted on the machine then strung,
    B) "industrial weaving" method
    C) The most absurb (innovative) one i've seen is using Method (B) + a small waste string to tie an additonal 2 knots to make it look like a 2 piece stringing

2 knots
    :
    A) Same as 4 Knots (A)
    B) Same as 4 knots (B)

Depending on your basis of comparison, each scenario would give a different effect on the stringbed stiffness, ultimately it voices down to how fast the strings loses tension. Thus you would need have multiple constants like strings used, tension strung, machine, racket and also the stringer in order to compare.

17. r2fiqz

r2fiqz Regular Member

IT
    thanks nivla76

18. maxout

maxout Regular Member

For SIMPLE DAILY usage ... go 4 knots ... SUPPOSED to help retain tension better esp at high tensions (more than 25lbs), so I was told ... but since I am only using 21-22lbs ... 2-4 or whatever makes no difference to me.

19. r2fiqz

r2fiqz Regular Member

IT
    so for me better use 4knots because my string 28lbs right?

20. maxout

maxout Regular Member

correct 100%