Axiata Cup 2013

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by quahjityau, Jan 31, 2013.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Congratulations to Malaysia for winning the Axiata Cup. To be honest, besides the big cash the real win for Malaysia is discovering that Sonia is dependable as 1st WS and deserves to be sent to bigger tournaments from now on

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Ya, Sonia not bad lah. Tonight I think whether it's Tee JY or Sonia or Lydia, also Rat would have won. So, give Sonia some exposure ahead of Sudirman Cup

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Ok, after much talkings, time to have some photos of the champion. Team Malaysia, with the last minute help of lee chong wei.
    [​IMG]
    Luckily, this pic is without 'someone' which is better 10000x times..

4. george@chongwei

Nop, she's not a chinese imo.. U meant her right?:D Gotta agree that her english is really good and her accent consist of little bit like american..;) She's working for astro arena and you can always seen her reporting sports news in or outside malaysia for astro arena's sports news called nadi arena;)

[​IMG]

5. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

YAY, finally i get to see Tan Boon Heong lift the cup.
    I <3 his smash. Too bad Malaysia keep pairing him with Koo Kien Keat.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Nope, the other one is chinese with porcelain white skin, sounded like she has a bit of aussie or british
    accent.

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I'm pretty sure the other one was Chinese. Her accent would come and go but it definitely had a "studied overseas" sound to it.

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ah
    u mean to protect our illusionly good economy
    we shouldnt change dont we?:p

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Congrats to MAS team for Axiata Cup winner, Chan PS/Goh LY has delivered vital point to bring MAS's victory as Lee CW & Koo KK/Tan BH obviously are two certain points to wrap up THA MS & MD. Terrible losing for INA team who managed 4th place this year edition :eek:

10. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    the organiser really need to beef up the status of the so-called highest paid badminton team tournament,
    so much need to be improved....the countries participating are so messy, is this an South East Asia tournament? Asia or Europe? Of coz we can see is more SEA based with invitation to Asia team and Europe....and the pools of players leaves so much to be desired.....beside MAS and INA....the others are not sending their best players....eg. Thailand team, with the absent of their best MD pair...left Boonsak to take care of MD, which proves to be their main weakness.....Asia team getting BCL and over the hill Zheng Bo to play MD????

and also the format, why is WD not even in the fray????any explainations or justifications for not including WD??
    and lastly, the winning point system...eventhough can be calculated mathematically, example, draw at 2-2, winner by taking into consideration sets won, and points won......i hope the organiser can have a better system next edition since this championship is sanctioned by the Badminton Asian Confederation (BAC) and the Badminton World Federation (BWF)

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    We are still new in the club system, and I am not sure how well funded the clubs are yet. Getting quality coaches is one thing, executing the whole training, diet, regimented discipline and tournament planning (which would require a working relationship with BAM) is another.

We are unlike Indonesia and Japan, which have been, err, clubbing for years ..... and with good funding and synergy with their BAs. But as a long term plan, having these clubs would help boost the number of potentials for the future, so let's hope that the situation improves from the next decade onwards.

As for the Sidek family, well they never held the reins of BAM. The family itself was developed well outside of the BAM circle until someone took notice of 12-15 year olds beating 18 year old or older opponents in local tournaments.

Jalani Sidek was always against BAM and how they handled the removal of the then President in 1993, so he wants nothing to do with BAM, period.

Razif and Rahman Sidek were appointed briefly as coaches (Razif was Chief Coach), but they didn't stay long.

Misbun too couldn't take all the crap from BAM, so he left. I even wondered why he came in, in the first place. A strong willed person should know that he does not fit the organization.

Rashid Sidek - forget his Singles Head Coach tag, in reality he's just one of the many singles coaches. His only privilege, maybe the opportunity to travel ......

The last Chief Coach that really had power to do things was the late Punch Gunalan, with support of the then BAM President before the post was taken over by politicians and businessmen.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Kingston brings luck[/h]
    http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/kingston-brings-luck-1.255644

EXCERPTS:

[h=2]BABY Kingston is already bringing luck to his father Lee Chong Wei. The World No 1 guided Malaysia to a 3-1 win over Thailand at Cheras Badminton Stadium in the Axiata Cup final at Cheras Badminton Stadium yesterday.[/h]Chong Wei, who had initially opted out of the semi-final and final after the birth of Kingston on Friday, decided to help the Malaysian team who were lacking bite in the men's singles.
    He duly delivered a point by beating Thailand's Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk 21-12, 21-18.

Malaysia had started the day on the wrong footing when Sonia Cheah went down to Ratchanok Inthanon 21-16, 21-17 in the women's singles.

Mixed doubles Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying were in fiery form when they defeated Sudket Prapakamol-Saralee Thungthongkam 21-16, 21-15 before Chong Wei put Malaysia ahead in the third match of the day.

Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong were hardly tested as they secured the winning point by beating Boonsak Ponsana-Songphon Anugritayawon 21-10, 21-in the deciding men's doubles.

The Axiata Cup victory saw the Malaysian team laying their hands on the US$400,000 (RM1.21 million) first prize while Thailand received US$200,000.

Chong Wei, whose wife, Wong Mew Choo and son are still in hospital, said it was a last minute decision by the coaches, and he accepted their call to help Malaysia win the mixed team event.

"We have never won the Axiata Cup and in fact, we have never won a mixed team event and I accepted the coaches' call for me to play today," said Chong Wei.

"The arrival of Kingston has already given me the lucky break and I hope this will continue where I can win more honours for the country.

"I just tested the court at about 7pm (today). Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng could have played but it is hard to say if they could deliver the point, and that's why I had to play.

"I hope the win will also give us the motivation ahead of the Sudirman Cup (in Kuala Lumpur) next month where I hope the players will work hard and do well."

In the third placing playoff, Asian All-Stars defeated Indonesia 3-1 for the US$150,000 purse.

Last year's winners Indonesia had to be satisfied with US$100,000.

Results - Malaysia 3 Thailand 1 (Women's Singles: Ratchanok Inthanon bt Sonia Cheah 21-16, 21-17; Mixed Doubles: Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying bt Sudket Prapakamol-Saralee Thungthongkam 21-16, 21-15; Men's Singles: Lee Chong Wei bt Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk 21-12, 21-18; Men's Doubles: Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong bt Boonsak Ponsana-Songphon Anugritayawon 21-10, 21-17).

image.jpg

Who is that woman by the by??

13. george@chongwei

Hmm, then i have no idea. Any videos or pics to share?;)
    Btw, to respond to the previous post, that's EX malaysia PM wife.

14. george@chongwei

FINALLY, 'that guy' aka John Burgess has been revealed to the world and standing beside the world number 1 LCW in happy mood. Gotta say i got a shock when AXIATA CUP organizer decided to hire him as emcee for the 2 days.. :D
    [​IMG]

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yup
    nice post:D

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgWFTNb7aLs
    Forward to about 1 hour in.

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    George, old boy, at least you just heard his voice ......

I once had to share transport with him ...... and he couldn't stop commentating on the bus ......

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

George, dont simply say, lol. I know elections coming,dont too excited abt that part.
    Scorpion, that is Datin Rosmah, Prime Minister's wife and BAM patron

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thanks.. But he said that she is Ex prime minister's wife.. You are saying as current prime minister's wife.. :D

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli