Badminton in Colorado?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by SaS, Jun 27, 2002.

1. CHWeng

CHWeng Regular Member

Hi, thanks for the information in Longmont. How's the standard there and are they using feather shuttles?

2. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Yes, on the bottle they gave me after one of the practices it says

3. yellowsecond

yellowsecond New Member

I've been looking for a place to play in the Denver area. When and where do you meet in Longmont? Room for one more?

4. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

We meet at Longmont Memorial Building near Main St. It's every Tuesday from 7:30-9pm. You pay $5 everytime you go or if you're pretty active then the club leader just charges you a few after 3 months or so which all go towards paying for the court hours and shuttlecocks.

At the beginning of the year we had about a little over 12 people showing up. Since there are 3 courts, that's all the courts being full with maybe 1-3 people sitting out and rotating in however they wanted to. But last week there was only about 5 people and lately there hasn't been many members coming (even the usual players) just since it's summer and they're really busy working or on vacation. I know that last week the leader said he might see who can play in the summer or even just wait until the fall/winter time to do our weekly meetings and take a break for now. He emails everyone every Tuesday in the afternoon saying what time to meet at.

A couple members have been to the Bouldr Badminton Club that meets in Westminster. They usually get about 30 or so members and rotate courts. I heard that since they have so many members and not too many courts you don't get to play as much even with their 3-4 hour long sessions. What's good about the Longmont one I think is that we have 3 courts and not an overwhelming number of people so each person plays more. Usually I sit out a game or 2 or even none at all for the 1.5 hours and play for the rest of the time.

If you can message me your email name or even phone number I'll let you know what the deal is. If we play tonight I'll call and email. But if he decides to cancel it until later on this year I'll just email you.

5. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Sorry for such a long reply. I'm typing from my phone. Also, anyone is welcomed to the Longmont club and the more the merrier! (especially right now haha). My friends and I are sort of in the beginners level whereas the other guys are much older and have been playing for a very long time. It's ridiculous how fast some of the hit and smash the birdies (really intimidating too). There's also a couple of guys who just started coming 1 or 2 weeks ago who have played a couple times due to traveling to China for work and stuff which is pretty cool.

Also, the Boulder Club that plays in Westminster charges 5.75 I think or whatever the Rec center fee is for where they go.

6. yellowsecond

yellowsecond New Member

Definitely interested. PM sent!

7. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

LONGMONT BADMINTON CLUB
    we meet every tuesdays at 8pm til about 930-10pm. lately they've been meeting on thursdays also at 830pm til about 10pm. on tuesdays, there is a man who gives free lessons who used to be semi pro for the first 20 minutes or so. my friends and i have been doing them and our game has really improved. it's $5 for students for 2 times and i think it's $5 for adults for 1 time (but i'm not sure exactly since i count as a student). if you're interested and have questions about when and where and the prices exactly email the longmont badminton club leader manoj gangwar at mgang_war@yahoo.com
    i think you're allowed to go once to check out if you like it or not. but mainly the costs go towards renting the gym/courts and for the birdies we use. the experience levels there are very wide and there's everyone from beginners to ridiculous good players.