who's to blame for the match throwing?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 1, 2012.

?

who's to be blamed for the match throwing?

1. The players are at fault for throw matches

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. BWF is to blame for implementing group structure

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. no one / other are to be blamed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. both players and BWF are to be blamed

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    we cannot satisfy the best of both world...now those siding their fav players and country will say BWF and IOC are liable for coming out with this "stupid" grouping system...hence allowing room for manipulating....like some already openly admit that they took advantage out of it.... but if BWF and IOC use knockout stage from the beginning, some might not happy when they get knocked out in the 1st RD.. just take an example, if YY/WXL "unfortunately" lost to pair from RUS in the 1st RD, that's it ..bye-bye to them.....can any of the players whinned about how hard they trained for the past and get knockout by one worst performance and no second chance for them??

BWF and IOC set the rules....right or wrong, the players should at least try their best .....they are bound by the rules....once you entered, you must follow and dont complain later

2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    To put things into perspective, most voters are voicing out for both players and BWF to change. No use just having one party solely to be blamed. If you truly want change for the betterment of badminton, then why not both parties go hand in hand? True, the players themselves are at fault, but majority of votes here are not just saying BWF is the one and only 'ENABLER' (for lack of a better term). Majority says both are at fault. Both. So those who say players are at fault, correct. But to say BWF has nothing to do with it? Pls,:eek:. After this, I should say, there will be some pressure on BWF whether to continue with round robin. Even if they decide not to do away with round robin, there will be pressure. And that says the role and responsibility that BWF carries. So stop putting the fault on just ONE(1) party alone. Everyone has a role to play.
    It should be noted that the round robin was implemented because of a major reason to have the weaker countries have more participation and not feel left out by always being whitewashed. I guess, the good intention led to a bigger devil.

While the outright DQ is what I champion for, the hope for format restructuring should be on the horizon soon. If you think DQ alone is sufficient enough to remediate and cure, think again. DQ though brings the cane to the buttocks, it also causes embarrassment and unwanted negative attention to the sport, as mentioned by plenty!

#82 Pakito, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. Heong

Heong Regular Member

BWF just wants to ride on this and be praised for their actions

Simply because they have the power. The countries can't do anything about it, not even LYB

4. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    No. That's really poor analogy.

A more suitable analogy would be:
    Students are cheating because they are encourage to do so (no punishment whatsoever for cheater). If a student is not very bright and doesn't cheat, they will not be accepted at certain school/university because other students which also are not very bright are cheating as well. Are they innocent? No. However, they are not the only one that can be blamed.

5. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

This is really very bad publicity for badminton.
    BWF fought so hard to get it played as an official Olympic Sport event, and this super negative publicity has to happen.
    The whole world watches this grand 'once every 4 years' event, and the Best all aspires to play in the Olympics, and the playing of these 4 pairs really destroyed years of hard work in 1 day. :mad:

Badminton is fighting hard to get 'big' sponsors from Europe and USA, and the London Olympic is one of the best avenue to showcase what badminton has to offer, I guess now with this catastropic happening, it may have the reverse effect. :mad:

6. littlebro

littlebro Regular Member

I really hate to see match-fixing as Chinese did many times, sacrificing one's chance for the so-called 'Greater Good'. But I can not grasp why everybody is riding the moral high horse and condemning the players involved this time.

4 pairs played lesser games in a tournament's round robin part in order to avoid a very strong no.2 pair in the playoff. It is a strategic move based on their own interests. What's so bad about that? Granted they did it so bluntly and showed no respect of the game, but this kinda stuff happens in lots of sports all the time. Teams lose group matches on purpose to avoid strong opponents in the playoffs, I've seen it the WC football(soccer), basketball, and even badminton.

So what it is the Olympics? The ultimate goal is still to win, they didn't even play dirty IMO, just did something disrespectful within the rule. You can see in every sports that superior athletes made less efforts in the qualifies just to get into the finals. Some are just less obvious, while the motives are not much different. Can you disqualify Bolt if he slows down in a qualifying match knowing that he got enough to put him into the final?

People are so excited here because I think it was Chinese who initiated this, anti-Chinese and anti-LYB sentiments are strong here. While I agree LYB is not the best thing to badminton, the punishment of this incident is not fair. I would have cheered if the hammer was dropped on the match-fixing, rather than the match-throwing which was mainly the system's fault.

7. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    A case of INFECTION GONE WILD

While players are wrong and pinned spot-on by the 'misconduct abusive to the sport' clause, BWF is not completely a saint either. While BWF may think that it doesn't want to cause any stirrings and uproars while these worms were festering moons ago, this Olympic blooper could have probably been avoided had the cane been whacked on the buttocks earlier. But they had to wait till such an occasion to bring the cane. This is a case of negligence on BWF's part, for brewing the beer too long until it's infection is endemic.

The 2nd charge that surely sticks is that, the letting go of misconduct under its very nose and so frequently by one country (we all know which country), had brewed and festooned other's country's notion of 'if they can do it, why can't I?' Of course not everyone will feel justice. This breeds contempt for both BWF and the 'loophole abuser'. Now that everyone is joining in and practicing it, making the sport look like a funny video of blunders, finally BWF brings the axe down. So BWF is certainly not a Saint either.

I say, for the love of badminton, LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED.:cool:

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Cannot be better said here. Many so-call fans acting like god, and cash their own excitement based on others' pain.

2 days ago, ppl consider Jordyn Wieber's cut from all-around "ridiculous", and threaten to protest to force a change of the system. 2 days later, ppl dream about every player should be god standard, and always put the spirit on top of anything else, even that means their own job and career. Get real...

Look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself that "what will I do, if I am 1 of the 8 ladies". Honestly, I cannot say I can do better (besides better acting like others suggested :-d). I am sure 99.99999% of the bashers will "proudly" say, "I will NEVER do that"... While, that's more likely should be, "I CAN NEVER get a chance to either consider that, but if I CAN, maybe...."

Whatever...

9. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

The number of pair who qualified in OG's Doubles (WD,MD,XD) are very small only 16 pairs.
    It forced BWF did Group Stage and crossing 1st & 2nd position on every group.

Big different in Tennis, although the player's quota is almost equals, there are draw 64 in Singles and Draw 24 ini doubles because some players can play in 2 disciplines.

BWF should change to add the doubles to be 24 pair, and cut the Singles to be 32.

Player Quota = 172.
    Singles = 32 players
    Doubles = 24 pairs
    By this number, they could be devided into 8 groups without "crossing" di Knock Out Round, only the group winners who passed to Quarter Final.

WS = 32
    MS = 32
    the number of doubles :
    MD = 18
    WD = 18
    XD = 18
    We see some players play in 2 discipline like Juhl, Pedersen, Michelle Li, Zhao Yunlei, Cheng W.H., Sorokina so any room BWF can give Wild Cards (WCs) to "new" player to add the new double.

Example :
    WC for Kunchala, to add 1 WD, Kunchala/Saralee
    WC for Rijal, to add 1 XD, Rijal/Greysia, etc
    (In tennis, the National Association send the request and the combination ever play together and has good record).
    Another Double also could be added from the player on other discipline.
    Just for example,
    Simon/Taufik, or Towi/Simon to play in MD.

#89 Sandy, Aug 1, 2012
  10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha
    let see if these student can excel in society.
    senario one
    sound like malaysia robber: oh i have to rob because malaysia police is not effective/hopeless and no company want to hire me.

senario two
    sound like malaysia driver: why i so bad luck get punished for speeding while others do so too?
    everyone is speeding home,why me?T.T curse the traffic police
    -----------------------------
    with wang/yu and lyb admitted their fault
    i cant see how valid the excuse been given by some bcer.

#90 limsy, Aug 1, 2012
  11. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Gail's opinion on the 'domino' effect really holds water. It's just a natural survival instinct for players to maximise their chances for the gold or entering the final. Don't preach to me about about being a saint for the love of the sport, if your are not world no.1, you need to live off money, not just glory alone. Be practical, sincere and realistic. Not everyone is a LD or LCW. Not even LCW escaped being ridiculed.

12. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    The Chinese coach apologized and said it was his fault. I guess he told his players to tank and others followed. So it's his fault.

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I don't really blame the players, because all they did was to try to advance further in the competition. If that's not taking the occasion seriously, then what is?

I don't really blame BWF because they are too stupid to foresee such incidents.

So, I voted for "blame no one".

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Blame the town Badminton for having the "bad" in its name. If its name was Greatminton, we'd be playing that now.

15. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Now Disqualify him and make him inaccessible to the players/coaches competing in the game... It would be unfair to let him continue after all this in this game...

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I think we should blame the World for creating olympic, if no olympic this would not happen

17. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I haven't read that. I read him apologizing on behalf of his players but not for any personal responsibility on his behalf. Could you supply a link or quote please? Thanks.

18. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    that's a great point lotta pipel missing, feng shui wise is not gooding to have the word BAD

19. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

BWF's quick reaction to disqualify the four pairs came as a big surprise to me. I guess they recognized immediately there is a chance badminton might be kicked out of Olympics either temporarily or permanently and if it did happen the biggest loser here is China as they would lose a big chunk of medals. Malaysia and Indonesia would be the second victims here as they would have no chance to win a medal in Olympics. On the positive note, maybe this scandal helps to promote the sports, makes it known to the world :)

20. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

I am in North America here, I've heard of this over a sports radio station here in Vancouver and the hosts said while it is not good sportsmanship, however the rules were in place for this to happen and it's completely within the rules at the time for them to lose and get a more favorable draw in the knockout rounds. They said that why would the #1 seed want to play the #2 seed who are their comrades when it can be avoided within the context of the rules here. Isn't the goal here to get the medal, and by doing what they did, they are trying to give their country the best result which would be a gold and silver. Teams lose all the time to get better draft postions in professional sports, are they ever penalized, the answer is no. A few years ago, the Indianopolis Colts was on the verge of a perfect season in the NFL, all they need was win their final home game and what did they do? The coach decided it was a meaningless game with the playoffs coming and they sat all their star players and lost that game and a chance at history. Actually it seems in terms of acceptance of what happened, alot of people here in the western culture seem ok with this. Just my 2 cents....