Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost ( ARC FB )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yan.v, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SuperAustinChu

SuperAustinChu Regular Member

Student
    Was switching in-between my Arc10 and ArcFB today, wasn't as bad as before. The overall feels the same e.g. stiffness and weight balance but I definitely notice a difference in swing speed. I was trying to break the string on my Arc10 today as it was loosing tension, so I smashed a lot today. Not only did I not succeed but I tire my arm till it was sore and almost numb. Thus I went back to the FB, I was so satisfied with it =) the reaction/ maneuverability is just astonishing. I'm out of words to describe the feeling that I had, it is something like a child's joy when he receives a new present or like a feeling of daring childishness (being gutsy enuff to do something that you've never tried before). Yeah, it is always a joy for me to use this racket from time to time.

2. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    received mine today. Feels good! As good as my BN60. Cant wait to test it. Will try to post my experience by tomorrow.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You're exaggerating. Fact is certain rackets are more in danger of breaking than others, the Bravesword series would be one example. As the ArcFB uses less material (to achieve that low weight) it has a much bigger chance of breaking than a 3U box frame. Even a Bravesword is much more durable.
    Anyhow, personally I'd weigh the pros and cons before getting this racket, and for me the cons of losing so much overhead power and very likely breaking it on the first real clash would definitely overpower the pros (if I had any interest in getting a Yonex in the first place).
    That isn't to say I have many clashes, btw, but as they are inevitable in doubles competition I just can't afford to shell out 140+€ every time I have a clash. With other rackets, there's at least a decent chance of survival (and a lower price for some).

4. varsis

varsis Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I've treated my FB harshly when I first got it, multiple clashes, I was throwing my weight on it as I pushed the racquet into the ground on failed lunges, many miss-hits on the frame... It's fine and going strong, maybe I'm lucky, but my FB (SP 6U) doesn't seem as fragile as the reports.

5. agios1980

agios1980 Regular Member

Teacher
    I just finished a gruelling first session with my new arcsaber fb (5u,f6) and i am in love. I know that most players say exactly the same thing regardless of what the new racket maybe but I assure you that i have tried quite a few rackets over the last 20 years and this is something special.

I am lucky enough to play with some amazing talent here in china so I am really tested to my limits on a regular basis. After experimenting with every racket under the sun over the years I have been sticking to the nano-speed 9900 for almost 90% percent of my games ever since it got released. i realised early on that i like to make players run around instead of killing off rallies. with the level of players around me returning smashes now days is second nature to most advanced players. what i find works for me is exhausting the opponent. so light headed rackets allows me to react to almost every play a fraction of a second faster, which is more than enough to control the momentum and direction of the game. the arcsaber was intended to be a fun experiment. i never expected what happened today.

i was able to return smashes with an obvious accuracy increase and doing net shots and cross court slices felt extremely natural. drives were amazingly fast. many of my partners were surprised and commented on a more aggressive technique than usual. it really feels that you can to anything that is thrown your way faster than ever before. this definitely boosts confidence. i really did not feel any loss of power. on the contrary the increase in racket head speed made me feel that i could attack from places and angles i never would go for.

this racket is a serious contender for people like me who value the extra time gained to respond. my nanospeed 9900 has officially been substituted.

6. paroxysmal

Yes
    I couldnt have put it in a better way. Exactly my thoughts.

It was just a first day and maybe its too early to comment but this rac is different. Till today, when I used the Karakals, they improved my speed but compromised my smashes. The opponents would find it easy to return my smashes. On the other hand, my smashes with AT900P or LN N90 would be almost unreturnable.

So i'd say for me ArcFB = karakal BN60 (or mtec70) + AT900p (or LN n90)

To add to it, my drops at the net were way too deep and made the opponents stretch an extra bit. Need to exploit this advantage more.

I still struggle to hit regular clears at the baseline with the Karakals. Didnt find any difficulty with FB.

Another winner from Yonex. And a big one. I m a big fan.

(my ns9900, at900p, n90, bn60, mtec70 will be lying dormant for a while - I could still use at900p for doubles against some selected opponents)

By the way its written 'Japan' at the rear end of the grip. Not sure which version is this. 6u (73gms) probably.

#666 paroxysmal, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  7. varsis

varsis Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It should say on the cone 6U 73g if it's a 6U, does on mine :)

8. varsis

varsis Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Err, i meant i should say "F 73g", which is 6U.

9. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I've resolved all of my timing problems last weekend. I can't say enough good things about the Arc FB. It was so easy and a pleasure to use. I don't know what more to add. I've said all that needs to be said. Maybe I'll add some scores later, but other than that, I intend to spend this summer playing with both the Duoforce and the Arc FB.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    [MENTION=77481]agios1980[/MENTION] thanks for your nice review! Could you please share some more info on the strings and tension you use?

11. agios1980

agios1980 Regular Member

Teacher
    of course!

I am not bothered about "the hitting sound" so i ultimately veer towards string that offers me great repulsion. I always use bg98 in all my rackets and tense them up to the highest recomended tension by yonex. but for the fb i decided to try out the new bg99 so i ordered some in from japan.

so i used bg99 at 24lbs. whilst it retains that tension it feels so natural. i hardly feel the shuttlecock bouncing of the sweet spot when pushing a drop shot over the net. i am eager to see if there is a noticeable change when the tension drops.

I did have a second session with the fb against difficult opposition and it really felt like "an extension of my arm".

very responsive and effective especially in one area of my play, which i will explain and i hope other players can relate.

i still to this day can not master a backhand smash from the back corner of the court. so ultimately if i am caught off guard, i clear to the back end of the court or drop it. There is nothing wrong with those shots, but if i want to keep control of the play i would rather not let him take the initiative and make me go defensive.

with the fb, the racket head speed allows me to reach with a jump and do a straight smash down the left line, thus still keeping me in control of the play; these slight advantages means points that wins games.

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    So which racket do you really have? You mentioned 5U, F6 (which is 6U) which doesn't make sense.

#672 Matt, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

hmmm... he may have meant 5u, g6

14. agios1980

agios1980 Regular Member

Teacher
    yes sorry i meant to say 5U, G6 :)

15. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Why did you go with such a small grip?

16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Lol, I was going to ask that once I knew if he had a 5U.

17. agios1980

agios1980 Regular Member

Teacher
    I decided to go for the small grip for two reasons. Firstly because I don't have big hands and secondly because I feel that with a bigger grip I tend to hold the racket near the base for clears when I am tired, and slightly more to the front for shots near the net. I personally feel that this constant change in grips between back court shots and net shots made me miss the sweet spot more often than with the smaller grip. With the G6 grip I can hear and feel the sweet spot more often.

18. agios1980

agios1980 Regular Member

Teacher
    Maybe it's just in my head but it feels more comfortable for me.

19. paroxysmal

Yes
    And thats what I did to a much younger player yesterday. I usually did that with the Karakals but they had their limitations. They lacked the punch. FB scores there. I am discovering more and more things :)

20. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Just another input on the "fragile" topic.
    My friend in my club had another unlucky clash yesterday during a doubles game and his FB broke again which means it's the second time within 1,5 months (He got his first one switched into a new one). I was watching the game and the clash didn't look bad at all but the result turned out to be worse than expected.