Edmonton, Alberta

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by John_Luu, Aug 8, 2003.

1. fh911

fh911 New Member

I'm attending UofA this coming September, and I have no idea where I can continue playing badminton over there. (currently in BC). What I know so far is that UofA itself has a badminton club, which is limited to only 90 people so I'm worried that I might not be able to get in. Where else can I play in Edmonton? Any clubs or rec centres are fine. I play in B circuits in BC.

2. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

If you're attending U of A then you can go to E19, just check the schedule, they play most Saturdays and Sundays 9-4, as well as some evenings. You can also drop in at the Education gym on Friday nights. Also there are many clubs in Edmonton, check the EDBA website to see which clubs play in your area.
    http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba/

good luck!

3. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

during the school year, theres a fair number of decent level players who go regularly to e19.
    thursday, friday evenings, and sunday morning/afternoons are when the better players frequent.

if you play B level in BC, you should be able to easily find players to play with at the times i listed.

education gym (the ua badminton club) has a few players of the level you seek. but on an average, the level at e19 on is greater than that of education gym.

a few of the EDBA clubs as listed by evylgrynn has a number of players as well, but very scattered due to the more family-orientation of the clubs.

then obviously there are derrick, glenora, and red willow, that you may want to check out if you have the time. its guarenteed you'll find what you want there.

#43 chickenpoodle, May 28, 2007
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  4. fh911

fh911 New Member

Thanks for the information. Now this E19, is a badminton club like VRC, no? If it is do I have to pay in order to play there? Thanks again.

5. EWL168

EWL168 Regular Member

Hi fh911!

E-19 is just the rooms number of the gym at the U of A. When you're a student, you can use the gym whenever it's available for badminton. There's a website to check the times for that gym which are updated every week on Monday. Any other questions, just ask away!

6. fh911

fh911 New Member

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for your help EWL168!

7. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Membership for Glenora is $7500.
    You can use any of there facilities with the membership.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Thank goodness that I have moved out to Vancouver. Vancouver Racquets Club membership is only $750 with 6.5 baddy courts, shower facility and a gym. Probably one of the best deals in town since feather shuttles probably cost bulk of my badminton expenditures. I can't imagine how it'll be if I ever have to move back to Edmonton:(.

Then again, it might go up to $1000 in a few years' times when we finish upgrading the facility to 12.5 courts.

9. Chimpan-A

Chimpan-A New Member

EFL Instructor
    I will be returning to Edmonton in July and would be very keen to join any new club. Wed. at 7pm sounds good. I could very well be into lessons but I have to figure out how I compare to other players in the Edmonton area (I'm currently living in Busan, South Korea).

10. allenzhou_

allenzhou_ New Member

Student
    I would be interested in joining the club if you plan on starting one.

11. gmevibration

gmevibration Regular Member

Student
    i think that a new place to play that is specifically only for badminton is a great idea, Especially if its considerable cheaper that Derrick and glenora.

12. Ncoder

Ncoder Regular Member

here is the link to the schedule, they update every week so just check it out and see when badminton is available, Pav = pavillion, another gym at the university, but i dont really like the light settings there, check it out tho. E-19 is much better in my opinion.

http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/campusrec/recuse.cfm

13. beebawp

beebawp New Member

Places to play in Edmonton Alberta Canada

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering, apart from The Derrick, Glenora, Red Willow, Kinsmen, U of A Education Gym, E-19, and Pavilion (this list seems longer than I initially thought), are there other places that have badminton courts available?

I am not particularly certain, but The Derrick, Glenora or Red Willow do not allow non-member drop in, correct?

Are there other places in Edmonton that offer drop in badminton? Perhaps some high schools or junior highs have periodic drop in badminton court times?

Some assistance would be great,

Thanks all!

14. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

go do a search for the EDBA site.
    there is a list of on-going clubs that have regular drop in hours.

you are correct in regards to RG, derrick, and red willow about drop ins. they do not allow non-member drop ins. you can however be admitted as a guest when accompanied by a member. the prices are crazy though. for example, a day guest pass at red willow is 15 dollars.

if you want drop ins, you're stuck with...
    University of Alberta (Ed gym, E19, Pavillion)
    Grant MacEwan College
    NAIT (maybe? not sure)
    Stadium Recreation center
    Kinsmen Rec and Parks
    Millenium place (in sherwood park)
    EDBA clubs

15. Pascal_Ly

Pascal_Ly New Member

Hey guys,

I have a gym that's currently being under used in the Downtown Edmonton Area. If you and a couple of friends want to come out for badminton on Mondays 8 - 10 and $3 drop in fee, just send me a PM.

16. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

Where to play In Edmonton

Hey, Is there any place to play (drop ins) in the time of Christmas @ Edmonton?

17. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

18. Jayson21

Jayson21 Regular Member

Student
    Does anyone know any places to play in Southeast edmonton for relatively cheap?

19. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    I am a member of Red Willow. You are correct, not drop-ins for non-members. You must come with a member to drop-in. The membership fee is $900 per year for adults (18-64 years). First six months is $100 per month ($50 membership + $50 entrance fee), then it's $50 for every month. The fee is less if you live 100km away.

Add GST on top of the fees.

20. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    on Sunday mornings there is a club called Capitol Academy. It is a training club for adults run by Alan Thom (used to coach Grant MacEwan College and Derrick Club).

Sunday mornings from 9am to 11am
    fee is $80
    private message me for more info

I know it is a little bit off the subject, but there are a few spots available.

#60 mkwanster, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008