Koo Kean Keat & Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    First of all, I would not agree with the points of majority vs minority percentage. Of course, in baddy forums, all those "boleh" fans is definitely much more (in term of quantity) then the pessimistic one.
    While in media, they do criticize and blame the coaches/players while their loss. However, when MAS win the Asian Games & AE last year, suddenly all the press (without surprise) lift them into heaven.ASTRO even held a special documentary about their personal lives (KKK/TBH). In press, there were always be two poles : PRAISE AND BLAMES depends on what u deliver.

I noticed that you'd been keep repeating urself on how non Malaysian supporters cheers for MAS players. Nothing wrong, I can ensure u that the CHINA Supporters (even in this forums itself) from countries outside china is much more than u can imagine, its just that some of them prefer to be on low profile.
    For me, baddy players is a public figures just like an actor/singer. If you do something which is bad,(In this case, not getting the desire results would not be good either) you must get ready for criticism. Take the recent EDISON Chan's case for example, (Need not me elaborate more here) u can know the consequences...

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1) % part, I suppose you havent meet many of the pessimistic ones, that's why you wouldnt think the "bashers" are majority in real life.;)
    Press criticial part, it's in comparision to other country's press, which some non Msian also agree, this already researched and discussed bf, not simply say punya. There are many ways to slant a story, the most recent is China's media slant on LD racket throwing incident. Msia media would never ever slant it that way.

NSC & BAM play a part too, our other successful sports like bowling & squash keep lower profile. Rexy blasting the players doesnt help in difusing the criticism - if I remember correctly, you are also one of those who dont like the way Rexy does his blasting in public.

2) Yup me knows, I do that on purpose - As the "Boleh" fans are often critised as being dreamers or dumbos (whether direct or in-direct). the point is that show that if "boleh" fans are dumbos, then the non Msia supporters also dumbos to support. Why would the non Msians be dumbos if they can support so many other country's players?
    And also some think "boleh" fans (Msian) are majority cos they are more in quantity in forums. Hope you dont get too irritated by it, I dont take it lightly when implied as dumbo, from both sides - the pessimistic ones & non Msia loyalist(already explain in earlier pgs)

Yes, naturally China players will have a lot of supporters, they are the most successful .

#122 eaglehelang, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    yawn, this kkk/tbh and pemuda vs eaglehelang/koo-fan thingy has been dragging on and on.......

why not we as an avid badminton fan just let their results do the talking.....

i guess Rexy is also fed up and he actually talked less lately...guess he is also waiting for the results...

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, lets move on guys..!.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton: All gone flat for Koo-Tan

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: National number one Tan Boon Heong-Koo Kien Keat took the world by storm when they made their entry into the world badminton circuit just over a year ago.

With their opponents having a better knowledge of their style of play and getting to deal with them effectively, it has now all gone flat for the flamboyant pair.

Is there all to Boon Heong-Kien Keat, a pair touted as strong contenders to win the first Olympic gold medal for Malaysia in Beijing in August? National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky does not think so.

He believes that the duo would end their woeful start to the season by raising their game a notch higher in the Swiss Open, which begins tomorrow in Basel.

“It is the Olympic year and they know that they need to start picking up in their game. A good showing in Basel will certainly be good for their morale,” said Rexy.

“I have tried so many ways to get them back on the winning trail just like how it was for them at the start of last year. They have the skills and techniques. The key to their success is all in their hands. It all depends on how badly they want to make it happen for them.”

The world number three failed in the defence of the title in their last two tournaments.

They crashed out in the second round of the Malaysian Open to Denmark's Lars Passke-Jonas Rasmussen and were first-round casualties in the All-England last week, losing to Japanese Shuici Sakamoto-Shinatro Ikeda.

They are defending champions too at the Swiss Open and Rexy hopes that they will not suffer the heartbreak of failure for the third time.

Despite their big blows suffered in recent tournaments, Boon Heong-Kien Keat are still Malaysia's best bets for honours in the Olympics. Veterans Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, who were semi-finalists at the All-England, are the other pair in the fray but they are bugged by the problem of poor finishing power.

From the performances in the All-England, Koreans Jung Jae-sung-Lee Yong-dae and Hwang Ji-man-Lee Jae-jin and Japanese Shuichi-Shinataro are the big threats to the Malaysians in the Swiss Open.

Jae-sung-Yong-dae defeated compatriots Ji-man-Jae-jin to win the All-England final on Sunday.

Third seeds Boon Heong-Kien Keat, who will take on Poles Michal Logosz-Robert Mateusiak in the first round tomorrow, are in the same half of the draw as All-England semi-finalists Shuichi-Shintaro, Ji-man-Jae-jin; second seeds Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesians; the American-Indonesian combination of Tony Gunawan-Candra Wijaya; and two other Malaysians – Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah will take on team-mates Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui in the opening round and the winners are expected to play against Rasmussen-Paaske in the second round. In the same half of their draw are top seeds Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China and Jae-sung-Yong-dae.

6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I hope koo-Tan wont be another hafiz.
    Things are not in a good form but till koo is koo kien kiat n tan is tan boon heong..i'll never give up.Never ever.

Despite all the facts post here.i want to believe in myself.
    My kkk will do something to have the pride back

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Swiss Open will be another jolt. I am sorry, I dont see them doing well in the Swiss Open either.

8. morphy

morphy Regular Member

I hope you're wrong but I think you're going to be right on this one, sorry to say.

Sure KKK/TBH will always have the potential...but potential is just that - potential and so too do 10 other MD teams.

Problem with fame and success early on is you start believing ppl who are all too ready to annoint you as the next biggest "legend" (thats that word again) in the sport that you start to believe all the hype instead of thinking there's alot to improve and work on..and I think that's what's happening with this pair. You start to believe that you're better than you really are.

I'm not writing them off just yet and they will surprise even the most hardened pessimist the odd time here and there..but I think the jury is still out on these guys for some time to come.

#128 morphy, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  9. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    when a theory said - all malaysians shutllers that are called as champions today will be known as losers tomorrow.
    All due to what??
    U want to blame the rewards??believe me,i do really think nicol got more.
    She's still on the right track.Just that squasy is not in olympic.she can give us nothing in olympic.shes not there.

n yes.Pemuda,morphy.Based on recent performance - its not tbh/kkk's time.other doubles.

2 or 3 tour before olympic.Ae is gone.swiss is almost gone.The last one.
    kkk...dont let me down.

10. morphy

morphy Regular Member

koo_fan I hope kk won't let us all down too. Just done watching them lose to Fuzzy pair (luv the nickname). It wasn't pretty - it was like watching a car accident but in slow motion. Now, practically any team can beat them - they just are not scary anymore to the other team even if that team was lower ranked - that's how far they've fallen.

This might all actually be good for them. I think after last year they seemed to have lost focus. Maybe now the pressure will be off their back and they can work on their game provided they still have the desire and motivation which they initially had prior to their success. But if they've lost all motivation and desire to be #1 then they'll be another Hafiz, and nothing will help them, not rexy, nor their fans, nor any promises of rewards. :crying:

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    morphy's perhaps touched on the core of the problem, i.e. believing in the hype, and concentrating less on improving and working on game flaws (mentally, and technically).

If they do work hard and results show in future tournaments, then they'll fully deserve the undying fan loyalty. Otherwise, the fan loyalty will shift to another good-looking, flashy, up-and-coming pair as easy as pie.

-dave

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

time for someone to sing .... 'candle in the wind' ....
    hum a few bars please, sir ....

13. cute_tbh

cute_tbh Regular Member

i called what happened to them as...."losing-every-tournament-fever"....still not recover yet..perhaps, getting worse...may be..just may be....they should be put in icu, as in, no need to play in the thomas cup...let other pairs play...maybe if they are to be left out in a tournament which REALLY carries MALAYSIA name with it,(and if MALAYSIA succeed in bringing back home the Thomas Cup without them playing in it) then they'll realize what a mistake they have done by not taking the medication!!!!!!!!!!

wake up, KKK/TBH!!!!!!!!!!!
    my god...huhu...

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Perhaps this thread should be re-named:
    KKK & TBH - Going Downhill Faster? :eek:

15. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Errrr....I think "Fastest" is a better word for it. :p
    At their current losing rate, they will be the fastest World Rank number 1 pair to drop out of top 10 position. :D

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Rexy/Ricky & Park/Kim

Maybe it is high time, we drop the Malaysia Boleh i.e. "We are ready to plunder in Europe" kinda talk.

KKK/TBH should seriously take a look at Rexy/Ricky or Park/Kim. They were absolute legends (not the typical Made in Malaysia one AE champion types). When I say KKK/TBH should take a serious look at Rexy/Ricky & Park/Kim, I mean not only their gameplay or partnerships. KKK/TBH should also have a look at how these two pairs conducted themselves off-court.

No punt intended, it is high time KKK/TBH do away with those colourful Jinggo Joe hairdos, em' gold rings, chains, bracelets, jade and whatsoever. They need to go back to being professional badminton players not some half cooked wannabe celebrities. They are looking more like some Ah Longs on court than pro shuttlers. In short, do away with the attitude.

They need to come back down to the ground and focused solely on training and act like pro sportsmen. Get rid of those hanger ons as such people are leeches. And for god's sake, do stay away from anything that is political by nature like going to Machap to campaign for some political party etc. Cancel all product promo activities. KKK/TBH should solely just work and listen to Rexy 110%. KKK/TBH should learn from Rexy as the man has done it all during his playing days.

Enough of pre-tournament chest thumping like "We are ready to plunder". They should remain grounded and focused.

Failing to do so, I believe we will have KKK/TBH travelling the same route taken by Hafiz. In short, they will be mere flash in the pan.

Gaya or substance, it is a simple choice actually.

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Believing in the hype part - if one follows the progress, not quite so in real life,this one already discussed, read cheekygen's post in the AE thread.

Those fans have already shifted their focus long time ago,last year. ;)
    Only those not into good looking or flashyness stayed, he he.

#137 eaglehelang, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

How can it be faster?
    AE out in R1. SWO reached R2. That's progress. Next tournament if they reach QF, then we know ,maybe, they are scheduled to peak in OG08.
    If you start from the bottom, you can only go up; from the top, well, the way is down.
    Who knows, it may be renamed : KKK & TBH - Peaking slowly to win OG08?

19. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Thats a creative way of looking at things!

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Maybe better to put it: KKK & TBH : Peaking dreadfully slowly to win OG08