Datuk Lee Chong Wei Missing Link - World and Olympic Title

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by shooting stroke, Nov 20, 2010.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    No doubt, Datuk Lee Chong Wei is currently Malaysia greatest badminton player as he has managed to achieve numeroues achievements that none of the previous Malaysia badminton player has able to do before him. With multiple Super Series title and only the third Malaysia badminton player that has able to gain status as world no 1 since Rashid and Roslin and, the first to retain it for so long until now, indeed he has create a high bar of achievemnts that will be difficult to be emulate by any future Malaysia badminton player.

However, besides all the accolades he has achieved, and maybe, if courage and luck is on his side today, he will win the 2010 AG Men's Single Gold Medal making his 2010 resume a more celebrated one, other than the ALL England title, he is still missing two most important title in the world of Badminton that is the Olympic and World Champion. Critics regards his achievements will not be a complete as like the other great players from other countries in the era before and the current since this two major title will be the one that is the pinnacle of achevements in the world of Badminton that all world class player is dying to possess. Even BAM High Performances Director and former Malaysia badminton player, Datuk James Selvaraj said World and Olympic champion are the major title that any great players should achieve and ranking alone is not enough. (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/8/21/sports/6895677&sec=sports)

Since the other great player currently with him like the Great Lin Dan (Multiple World Champion ( 2006, 2007,2009) and current 2008 Olympic Champion), Taufik (former World (2005) and Olympic Champion (2004)...even just manage to win only one super series title), its this major titles that will always plays into the lips off all coaches, ex-world player, commentators, critics, etc in regards about who they are as a badminton player. As the 2011 World Championship will be held in London similarly with the Olympic the following year in 2012, and, since Datuk LCW is now 28, maybe he will get a few shots to capture those elusive World title since it is still a yearly contested tournamaent but maybe for the Olympic, maybe, 2012 will be the last. Except if he still wants to play like what Peter Gade is doing now.

#1 shooting stroke, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

asian games first..:cool:

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

impressive summary SS ,as usual,since there are so few supporters here I want to add a "LIKE" as in Facebook.

4. shooting stroke

Nevermine Datuk you lost today, be strong and gear up for WC 2011. Tonight match can go to either both of you and LD. LD also played well.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

So asian games just slipped away moments ago.

6. shooting stroke

Yes...the wait will be again prolonged to 44 years since Datuk Punch Gunalan won it in 1970. However, WC and Olympic still none ( ...champion i meant). Datuk LCW needs to move on.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Blame it on LinDan.. :)

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

I don't think that statement is true at all. I'm not sure what the world rankings of Eddy Choong and Wong Peng Soon were at the time, but I would argue that they were just as good, if not better than LCW.

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    This is an age old debate going nowhere, different eras, different timesm, different everything...Eddy and WPS played when CHN, KOR were no show and no SS exists, and the key was there were no player like LD at that time. Basically, they were playing with very few opposition, you can say the same of Rudy too. It is just unfortunate that LCW played in an era sandwiched with 2 of the greatest players in this game TH before 2005 and LD, the greatest player in the history of badminton.
    Present era, is highly charged and competitive. If you say, WPS and Eddy are better than LCW based on AE wins, TC wins, there will be no arguments and you win hands down. I really could not think of any past malaysian player that played better than LCW in all aspects of his game, and that including Tang Aik Huang and his all round game, whom I watched at courtside so many times when I was a young and good looking lad growing up in Malaysia:D:p;)

10. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Tears rolling down my cheeks! That's a good one my dear Uncle OTB to cite an example of how long ago that era was.

BTW, you have no shame in saying that you were good looking when young. I don't trust you.:D:p

11. shooting stroke

...and also sony and taufik:D

Could'nt agree more;)

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..for Datuk LCW, win the WC next yr & get it over with!..otherwise, Datuk has to wait 2 more long yrs (2013) for another chance..

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I know, it is hard to be humble...sometimes...if you don't believe me, just ask my ex in good old MAS:D:p

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Thanks, but are u agree with me on LCW and Eddy boy, or the part where I said 'young and good looking'...just checking;):D

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

OTB,

I think the problem here is bias and REPRESENTATION. Anyone in his right mind will know that LD & LCW are the two best in the world.

But this forum is dominated by Malaysians, so that they are the loudest, the majority so to speak.Furthermore there are vested interests

in that a group of members loyal to certain coaches in Malaysia are hyper-active, so much so they crowd out and target people who oppose their

views, rather like the gangsters in your old San Peng school, this is evident form the profile of members who have been banned.Some even resort

to putting others down and using veiled threats, even when the opposition has not broken any forum rules.

The trend was to blow things out of proportion ,for eg. claiming a Proton to be a BMW, insulting people's intelligence.it takes someone like SS

to put things in proper perspective, then you can see the number of support given to his views.I support the view that we should not reward people to early for their success , otherwise like many in the long past, they may let sucess get to their heads, which so far has not happened to Nicol or LCW.

Imagine what could have happened if LCW had beaten LD in Asian Games,luckily the truth prevailed.

Now that the boundaries are clearly drawn we can move on.Any body watching badminton knows LCW is a great player,

its just that he has not achieved as much as LD, how could he, given the over-burden he has to shoulder.

My only objection is the representation and bias issue, the numbers ie. there is simply too much voice for LCW but so little for

others, anyone who wants to differ will be crowded out or the target of abuse. Then we would not be able to hear much from other badminton

enthusiasts or hear alternative views.

It takes a simple event to bring people down to earth. Rather than being partisan, we should be able to appreciate good badminton

rather than stomping on others who do not share similar views.

This post is not targeted at anyone in this particular thread, and is only my observation.I am not here with any vested interests,

I say something for everyone to hear, its up to the listener to make a judgment on my statements, people are not blind,

its up to them to decide who to believe, but no rude and strong arm tactics please.

#15 Bbn, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

its not true.

Players accorded LEGENDARY status are based on their achievements in their eras. otherwise, there will be no past legends,

to qualify one has to be the player to beat, won major titles etc. etc. ie.certain recognised benchmarksof their Sports Associations.

We are not comparing eras, if we compare across eras there will be no legends, as there were no world championships then.

I agree with SS views that generally you need to achieve certain targets to be accorded Legendary status, LCW has more targets to achieve.

Even if he doesn't he may still be a Legend like Morten Frost, winning all the Opens but losing in team events and majors, but people remember

Yang Yang or Zhao Jian Hua more. LCW is still overshadowed by LD and probably will be so forever.

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

The thread starter is giving what is called a balanced view, rather than partisan or biased.

To be able to provide a balanced view, a person needs to have personal integrity and be objective rather than

emotional and personal.

Is is quite easy to see where a person stands from his views expressed.ie.which side he is on. Of course it

is impossible to be free from bias, otherwise one would not be human, rather a Mr.Spock the Vulcan.

But once bias is detected it gives yourself away.People who are too biased are very dangerous, they become racists, extremists etc.etc.

In the professions one has to display integrity, eg. a doctor cannot refuse to treat a patient because he is against the patient's race.

Imagine what the medical profession would become if doctors are like that.

18. johnchang

johnchang Regular Member

none
    You make that sound like it's a bad thing! :D

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I really dont know, as long as there is room for everyone to express their views freely without being intimidated,

no problem.

We are not the most powerful nation , if we do not encourage others from other places to express their views,

we may simply be too inward-looking and may just fall behind because we cant learn from others.Then we will always "gostan".

Up to you to decide what you want.

20. shooting stroke

Indeed, need to nail it down once and for all at the London WC 2011 edition while still in the best physical condition otherwise will need to wait till 2013 which by that time he is already 31 y.o....and also the London 2012 Olympic edition or otherwise will wait till 2016 by which he is already 34 y.o.

Its about DLCW and Eddy mate......