2013 Australian Open (from April 02 to April 07)

Discussion in 'Australian / New Zealand Open 2013' started by chris-ccc, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mclarge

mclarge Regular Member

Congrats to Tian Hou Wei. A exciting and high-tempo match.
    There is a chance of a rematch if he and Xue Song continue to play like this in the New Zealand Open.

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Yes sir, just forgot out of rush... Thanks for supplementing... :D

3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Watch out!!! A detrimental insert is trying to poison badminton again...

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i must have missed some post here:rolleyes:

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    translate.google.com epic fail.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    You will need to scroll back many, many posts

Hahaha...... You will need to scroll back many, many posts (to understand what's going on here). :):):)

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    No need. Moderators had intervened after i called them for their help to delete those comments which targets some member and some country particularly.. I wanna thank moderators for their timely help in this regard...:)

8. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Congratulations to all winners :)

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  10. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    Seems to me that Teh Siu Bock's days could be numbered if LCW's poor form and result continue. Why is he, Rashid Sidek and even LCW laughing with each other towards the end of the game and finding the defeat amusing? I guess it's a way of deflecting some pressure or heat off one's shoulder, or maybe it's a gesture of embarassment.

LCW's style is becoming predictable - I reckon the chinese camp has figured out his game some time ago - it's speed, speed and smashes. Of course, one has to be supremely fit to be able to keep up with his punishing pace and stamina but I guess we found that in the 19-year old Tian Hou Wei on Saturday.

The mental approach from LCW in this tournament was wrong from the start - LCW was simply too confident (no thanks to the media and his World No. 1 status). And the backlash would of course be undue pressure on himself and increased moltivation to his opponent.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    dont be silly lah.
    if rashid can sit on his post and even promoted even 0 result since 2005.
    why cant TSB sit on his post or even get promoted as long they are on the same side?:D

12. bura836

bura836 Regular Member

accountant
    The match THW-LCW was very worth watching indeed. No less than LD-LCW in the past. I hope to see the final match THW-XS but where can we watch that?

Who can guide where to see replay of the final ?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know,I'm actually extremely reluctant to respond but I'm just an ordinary mortal,not a sage,what to do.

First off, I strongly feel that the so-called 'very important dialogue that needs to be addressed' should begin with you and yourself or your own kind. Why don't you start a thread to discuss,debate,argue or even commiserate or rant and rave over it instead of 'littering' all over the place? I'm no psychologist/psychoanalyst though I've read a bit of Sigmund Freud and lately curious about Jacques Lacan, so I can't point you in the right direction.

I'm aware you've opened a thread on why you believe nationalism is bad and,you know what, I tend to agree with you - see my location where I say I'm a citizen of the world (following Socrates),in other words, I'm an internationalist. But nationalism is a complex subject,it has its uses,both good and bad, and problems, eg it can go dangerously wrong leading to dire consequences as happened in the prelude to the Second World War in Germany, Italy and Japan.And I won't be naive to think nationalism can be abolished or diminished when there is the one true sole superpower in the geopolitical world that is bent on dominating the world on her own terms for her own self-serving,national interest. How is the United Nations Organization ever going to become a World Government one day? Dream on.

Sorry,I digressed.Chinese badminton supremacy is,as I've often said, benign and her contributions irreplaceable,immense and to be applauded. All this she achieved playing by the rules set and governed by the world badminton body BWF. I believe practically every member association in CHN's shoes would have done everything within the rules allowed to maximize their chances of winning even if one of the rules set such as the Olympic qualification spots is against her - I read that Peter Gade didn't in a similar (yet somewhat different) situation but that's him, the important point is no rule was broken. When I hinted that I'd bear PG's words in mind I was referring to his stand on what CHN did was a cultural thing, no need to make a fuss over it. Besides, that the great,legendary Peter Gade himself paid the highest tribute to Lin Dan whom he considered the greatest ever by inviting him and no one else for his Farewell Match and even hosted him at his home with his favourite red wine - speaks volumes. On that LOG WD fiasco and scandal involving not only CHN but INA and KOR as well, PG said it's not confined to badminton but something that has happened to many other Olympic sports.

Frankly, it's quite clear why some people here expect and demand that CHN be held to the perfect or highest ideal standard but are most willing and happy to conveniently overlook and forgive any similar failing on the part of others; nay, any slightest fault committed by CBA, they will not hesitate to jump on it and make a mountain out of a molehill. Let's view the problem in the proper perspective - it pales in comparison to what's happening or has been happening in many other sports, such as the recent soccer match-fixing scandal involving betting syndicates,in boxing I was told it's widespread, in F1 auto racing which is both a team and individual sport where team order is the norm, etc,etc. No excuse but they aren't the same.

Plainly speaking, for any player, once you step on court , what is of utmost concern to you is not how your CHN opponent or anyone for that matter gets on the opposite side to play you as long as it's legal but,most importantly, how to beat him/her/them. Any violation of the rules or wrongdoing is for the relevant personnel and authority to deal with it or BWF stands accused of connivance and/or complicity. I rest my case.

With no disrespect, if you don't have anything new to add - not just related to CHN/CBA (why single her out,fair game?) but other countries/BAs too - I really don't wish to dwell on this subject anymore. Let's look forward and move on. There are exciting times ahead for badminton and the just concluded AUS Open GPG is one of the harbingers.Cheers! Enough said, too much actually.:)

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Talking about exciting times ahead, I've in mind the following as far as the players are concerned:

1) Lin Dan is coming back, beginning with the BAC'13, but with the added uncertainty of his form;

2) Chen Long's rise to the top to seriously challenge both Lee CW and Lin Dan;

3) CHN WS showing more vulnerabilities even for their top two, LXR and WYH;

4) the rise of new CHN MD pairs in Liu Xl/Qiu ZH and Chai Biao/Hong Wei;

5) to a lesser extent and for the time being until further confirmation, Wang Zhengming's rise;

6) the coming of Tian Houwei and Xue Song, perhaps Qiao Bin too;

7) the possible decline of Lee CW (hope not too soon);

8) the rise of non-CHN challengers such as Intanon Ratchanok,Jan O Jorgensen,Tommy Sugiarto, Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk, Sayaka Takahashi, Tai T Y...(add your pick sensibly);

9) the return of Wang Shixian's form (this one is purely personal,yes, I'm pushing it).

15. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Well Justin, that certainly was a nice rant. You make some nice leaps of judgements and even agree with me about my stance on nationalism in sport and proclaim to be a 'citizen of the world'.

As a 'citizen of the world' then, you would be innately familiar with the cultural differences and traditions of 'sportsmanship', and culturally the unique paradigms that influence Australian (ergo, British) attitudes towards thus, yes?

All I was suggesting in my very brief response to a simple question, was that what was being expressed by the percieved 'lack of enthusisam' by the crowd in Sydney, is just simply an expression of the Australian vernacular. For example, as a sweeping generalisation, Australian culture has a propensity to support the underdog, but dislike the interloper more. Our attitudes towards 'worthiness' and 'heirachy' are actually quite complex and rooted in the British tradition, and unstudied I imagine would seem very alien in to any outsiders.

As a 'citizen of the world' you would also be aware of Australia's multiculturalism, so you also have elements of diaspora there and cross-culturalism and a whole raft of mess meaning there's also probably a very complicated mechanism and mob mentality going on there that I wouldn't on face value be able to fully grasp. You might also be surprised to know that while 90% of the faces in the crowd are Asian or of Asian descent, the minority of them would be Chinese. Not exactly a 'home crowd' then, and you'll excuse the locals if they're not thrilled by the presence of their economic 'benevolent overlord' ;)

There's also two other factors. The first is how China in general is viewed within SE Asia as a whole. This is not an area I know much about, but generally I'd hazard a guess and say that China is generally not well liked. I could be wrong because I'm an outsider, so someone please prove me wrong, but if I was allowed the liberty to make over-arching statement on that, I'd say that China was not very popular amongst the Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese, Indonesians, at the very least. Diplomacy might say otherwise, but I'd hazard to suggest that if you sent out a 'like/dislike' poll to everyone in Asia, you'd get more dislikes than you would likes. Do that globally, and the results would be even less favourable. But again, this is not my area, so please prove me wrong, but my co-'citizen of the world' status tells me that's probably not the case.

Would this be a surprise to most Chinese I'm sure, but it's very firmly rooted in the fact that China despite it's love of commerce is still a Communist country, and as such not seen as that word you like to use frequently - benign. Chinese badminton is not benign - it brings with it Chinese cultural imperialism, Communist culture, ideas of what constitutes 'sportsmanship', and a whole raft of other notions that people react against which is completely legitimate and within their rights.

There's also this whole notion of dialogue and criticism in the Western tradition that must be completely foreign to your average Chinese national. Could we even be having this dialogue in China? Even notions of not being able to speak freely is highly threatening to the Western experience. How dare I even bring up issues of which a constructive dialogue I believe is an important one to be having?

And all this from someone who was puzzled why a crowd wasn't as enthusiastic as he'd liked!

:)

#735 Maklike Tier, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    This is far beyond the limit. Your inappropriate generalization is nothing but discrimination. Your inappropriate generalization and accusation are not only groundless, but also malignant, humiliating every Asian people. and yourself.

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Care to explain what exactly you meant by this bracketed comment?

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Your personal attack is even more of a baseless generalisation. What is your counter-argument for the crowd reaction in Sydney, based on your knowledge, training and experience? Do you have one, or is an educated dialogue that much of a threat to you that you have to resort to personal attacks and self-righteous indignation?

19. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

Where do you base the "lack of crowd enthusiasm" from ? From what I saw and heard from the live stream of the MS final, this certainly wasn't the case ..

20. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    The original posters comment was in regard to the Semi-Final.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.