Rexy Mainaky as Coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, Sep 7, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Lost and lonesome
    Doubles coach Rexy cuts forlorn figure in training
    Haresh Deol

Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 05:58:00

http://www.mmail.com.my/content/81623-lost-and-lonesome

KUALA LUMPUR: It was an unusual picture at Juara Stadium at Bukit Kiara yesterday — so unusual that it certainly raised the eyebrows of those present.

Former national shuttler Razif Sidek was pacing between courts, handing out pointers to national doubles players Koo Kien Keat, Tan Boon Heong and Hoon Thein How, while also coaching KLRC pairs Gan Teik Chai and Tan Bin Shen, and Zakry Abdul Latif and Fairuzizuan Tazari.

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky, meanwhile, was seated at the far end of the courts — away from the players — surrounded by a handful of journalists.

Even BA of Malaysia (BAM) general manager Kenny Goh seemed surprised with what he saw on the courts but chose to remain silent.

Razif has made public his intentions of wanting to serve KLRC. That could materialise sooner than expected as the pairing of Zakry-Fairuzizuan seem to have a soft spot for the former shuttler. Teik Chai-Bin Shen also seem to enjoy Razif’s company on the court.

It is crucial for both pairs to obtain the services of a doubles expert in their bid to secure a spot for the London Olympics next year.

"As far as we are concerned, he (Razif) is training us," said Zakry.

"Perhaps he will join KLRC soon, if the terms are right," added Fairuzizuan, without wanting to elaborate further.
    Rexy, meanwhile, has been sidelined after Kien Keat-Boon Heong announced they would prefer to train under Pang Cheh Chang instead.

Rexy has apparently given his blessings for the duo to move on with another coach.

The Indonesian is now waiting for the decision by BAM’s coaching and training committee tomorrow. It is highly unlikely Rexy will be given the axe but he could be handed a new role.

"There’s nothing to say at this point in time. This episode has taught me who my real friends are. When all is well, everyone praises you. The minute things go down, you’re left all alone. This is life I suppose," he said.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Badminton: A morose Rexy at training
    2011/09/07
    Ajitpal Singh

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/B...ining/Article/

NATIONAL doubles coach Rexy Mainaky looked an unhappy man at Juara Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday as Razif Sidek made a return to the courts to monitor Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari, who had a sparring session with World No 5 Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.

As things stand, Rexy looks as if he is being sidelined as the BA of Malaysia (BAM) coaching and training (C&T) committee is expected to endorse Kien Keat-Boon Heong's request to train under Pang Cheh Chang.

The former Olympic champion is willing to listen to the committee but if they decide on something which is against the Indonesian's principles, he will come out with his own conditions.

According to sources, Rexy, whose contract with BAM is until 2013, will question the committee if he is designated to train only particular pairs in the national team.

The committee could, however, assign Rexy to the national back-up squad who are under the purview of Tan Kim Her.

A high-profile close door meeting is expected to take place today to discuss the problems within the association.

Zakry Latif was delighted to have Razif as his training advisor during training yesterday.

"Razif is just helping around... nothing is official yet," said Zakry. ​

3. damondemon

damondemon Regular Member

men of the world
    This "sandiwara" reminds me of school??? Remember, in the past, teacher is the one in charge when you are in school? Teacher is in charge and parents leave everything to the teacher? NOW, is teacher touches the sudent, scold the student, PARENTS will turn up in school all "heated up"? SO, our so called 'champions", after few years of titles, got big headed, now cannot perform, request change coach?
    Think we, the public who indirectly "fund" these players, should just consider ourselves got ripped off by them and HOPE they do well in future?

4. ksquared

ksquared Regular Member

Rexy has won many important titles partnering ricky. He knows what it takes to be a winner, both psychologically and skills/strategy wise.A coach can only do so much. At the end of the day, its up to the players to play and win games, not the coach. How hungry are the players to win? Saying is one thing, doing the talking in the court is another.I believe rexy is doing a good job and the best he can. If he didnt care, he wouldnt have been so emotional. In fact, i feel rexy felt more hurt than kkk/tbh when they lose.

5. ksquared

ksquared Regular Member

Also, i have to admire rexy for his professionalism. He's an indonesian and indonesian doubles is not exactly going great guns at the moment.However, he has remained committed to train malaysian players. He paired kkk/tbh together and felt a responsibility to help them to the death.And even graciously agreed to their request for a change in coach. That one has to admire his professionalism and in his commitment to the best interest of his players.It is really hard to take when someone u have brought up for so many years tells u that he/she wants a change.Well done to rexy and i do hope he will be able to unearth new gems for malaysia. Just like misbun who has moved on.kkk/tbh is not the future of malaysian badminton. Young kids are.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Thursday September 8, 2011
    Doubles coaching saga sparks rumours of Rexy planning to quit
    By RAJES PAUL
    PETALING JAYA: The men’s doubles coaching saga has taken a new twist, sparking rumours that chief coach Rexy Mainaky is planning to quit the national team.
    Last week saw some major upheavals in the doubles department of the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM), with elite shuttlers Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari quitting the national team to join club side KLRC and top pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong telling Rexy they do not want to train under him anymore.
    They said that they preferred to train under Pang Cheh Chang instead.
    To make things more complicated, former international Razif Sidek made himself very much “at home” at Stadium Juara by coaching Zakry-Fairuzizuan and Gan Teik Chai-Tan Bin Shen on Tuesday.
    This must have proved too much for Rexy, who called in sick yesterday, thus sparking off speculation that he was planning to quit the national team.
    This is not surprising considering that Rexy had twice threatened to quit the job since joining the national team in 2005.
    So, will the BAM let him go this time if Rexy pulls the same stunt?
    That, and more, will be answered when the coaching and training committee meet at Stadium Juara today.
    The meeting is also expected to resolve the issue of having one too many men’s coaches in the doubles department.
    If BAM endorse Kien Keat-Boon Heong’s request to train under Cheh Chang, which should be a formality, Rexy and his assistant Rosman Razak will have only four players – Vountus Indra Mawan-Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid, Ong Soon Hock and Hoon Thien How – to train.
    And Soon Hock only trains three days a week under Rexy.
    Soon Hock is expected to be paired up with back-up shuttler Mak Hee Chun and they are likely to train under back-up coach Tan Kim Her for the next four days of the week.
    The coaching and training committee, headed by BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai, are expected to review the whole doubles set-up today and some of the changes may not go down well with certain parties.
    The panel could break up the men’s doubles players into three groups – under Cheh Chang, Rexy and Kim Her – as some feel that this would create healthy rivalry within the pairs.
    But some feel that this “divide-and-rule method” could give rise to jealousy, uneasiness and discord among players and coaches.
    Another option is for the BAM to keep the two groups – elite and back-up, with Pang handling Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Kim Her continuing his good work with the back-up squad with his assistant Chong Kien Ling.
    This, however, will leave Rexy and Rosman with nothing to do – unless BAM take the extreme measure of putting the duo in charge of the women’s doubles department.
    It is also uncertain whether BAM will go to the extent of promoting their Bukit Jalil Sports School men’s doubles coaches – Yap Kim Hock, Chang Kim Wai and Koay Kar Lin – to the national team and demoting some from the national squad to handle the school team.
    National Sports Council (NSC) director general Zolkples Embong said that they too were “waiting with great anticipation for BAM’s decision as most of the coaches have contracts with the NSC”.
    “We will just wait for the outcome. There will be a review of the coaches’ contracts (which include perks and salaries) based on the decision made by BAM.
    “Whether Rexy moves down to the back-up squad or Pang moves up to the elite squad ... we will be fair with our review,” he said.
    Unlike the men’s singles, talent is abundant in the men’s doubles department but without a proper coaching structure and unity among the coaches, it will be tough to exploit their potential and to turn them into world-beaters.
    It’s your move, BAM.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/9/8/sports/9447016.asp&sec=sports

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

[h=2]Badminton: The future should be BAM's only priority[/h] K.M. Boopathy
    boopathy@nst.com.my
    2011/09/08

THE BA of Malaysia (BAM) coaching and training committee (CTC) will be finalising several issues today and the decisions must be aimed at lifting the future of Malaysian badminton and not just offering stop-gap measures.
    Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong's request to train under Pang Cheh Chang looks certain to be granted but the CTC's role should not end there as the top pair should be told in no uncertain terms that this is their last chance in order to strike gold at next year's London Olympics.

While it is acceptable that players are allowed to voice their choice of coach, BAM has been too lenient -- to the extent of allowing Kien Keat to miss training for several days with the player offering lame excuses.

The CTC must warn both players that such actions will not be tolerated.

If Kien Keat believes missing training is the best way of letting his intentions known, it is the CTC's responsibility to educate the player.

Even if national doubles coach Rexy Mainaky is not suitable to coach Kien Keat-Boon Heong any longer, an official decision has to be made.

The players, no matter who they are, shouldn't take the law into their own hands as there are rules to be followed.

It was unforgivable that Rexy was not informed of Kien Keat's absence and even BAM, which is believed to have known the situation much earlier, didn't make an effort to inform the coach.

The CTC is expected to retain Rexy but the coach must be given specific targets to achieve until his contract expires in 2013, and not just be given a couple of pairs to work without any clear goals.

There is a possibility Rexy may be asked to take control of the women's doubles, a position to be vacated by Cheh Chang, but the CTC must first ensure that the Indonesian can be effective in training them.

The CTC should also consider utilising Rexy to guide junior pairs who will graduate to the national senior ranks after the World Junior Championships in November but whatever the decision, it must be target orientated.

The position of the high performance director is another issue which has not been finalised and there is a possibility that an official appointment could be delayed until December.

Datuk James Selvaraj's one-year stint ended last week but he is likely to continue until the end of the year.

If the CTC wants to give Selvaraj a longer run, he should be considered until the Olympics as it is pointless appointing a new candidate in January.
    [HR][/HR]
    http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/jpjiwjkllw/Article/art_print

8. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    this is so sad.......when you are up, everyone come over and praise you...when you are down....everyone will start to condemn you...
    so sad...thats life....whatever the outcome, i hope Rexy will be strong.....even if he choose to leave Malaysia, he will have my blessings...

9. Iqmal B.

Iqmal B. Regular Member

Part Time Badminton Player
    Super ouuuuccchhhh...

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Rexy, just quit BAM will you??!! Not worth the $$$, the sweat, the pain. There are tons of places where you can be a hero again.

11. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Rexy - It's time to quit

Rexy has done so much to lift the standard of KKK and TBH. No double coach player has managed to gamble to pair a world junior champion double player with a senior player and train them and achieve A LOT in a short period of time starting by winning the All England. Rexy influences was huge when KKK/TBH was on the top of the world and even when he threatened to quit twice, Bam scrambled to persuade him to stay since they know that he can make a huge change.

But i think people tend to forget very quick and not so grateful to the individual that has contributed tremendously since KKK/TBH recent poor progress has create a window of opportunity to condemned Rexy. KKK/TBH can go and train with PCC or with any one but they should remind their brain and heart that it was an Indonesian former olympic champion, Rexy that made them to what they are now and BAM should also knows that!.

If people surrounds you tend to not be so grateful to what you've done then it's time Rexy you quit and i'm confident that MANY other countries would bend at your foot to seek your knowledge to guide their double players.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Probably not such an easy decision for Rexy himself! :)

When you have been with a national team for such a long time, in charge of the top players, responsible for the performances, and for formulating procedures and strategies, it's not easy to just walk away. You form attachments, bonds with people, affections, and a sense of responsibility. Some of the best work you have done is right there; it is often, for many people, what defines them, at least professionally. Sometimes, for a person to just toss it all and start afresh somewhere else is something he has to be forced into.

If Rexy is despondent at the moment, it is a natural reaction. The culture, atmosphere and sense of family he has received, and he has also himself infused, is real for him. How do you walk away from your family? If your family does not want you to tell them what to do, how would you feel? This is all real for him. Only he can sort it out. Right now he probably needs emotional support; someone to tell him he is still Rexy Mainaky, with or without the players, the associations or the infrastructure. As long as he has his mind and his sharpness and intelligence and his talent and conviction, he is still the formidable Rexy Mainaky. I sincerely hope he does not lose it.

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I really think that its fairly possible that KKK/TBH have hit the wall with Rexy, and fairy enough that they want to be parted with Rexy. But I just dont think the process is dealt in proper manner by KKK/TBH and to some extend BAM. Rexy's statement shows how complicated and politically clouded the whole thing is. I guess it can happen everywhere and not just in Malaysia, so I hope Rexy can gain from the experience for the future either he'll stay or leave BAM.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I wish I could train under him.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    The writing is on the wall but this saga happened so fast for Rexy to make his escape but his contract expires in 2013 (2 more years), and as Limsy said at RM180K a year plus performance bonus, that is a lot of dough. Rexy has to separate sports from business (or livelihood).
    Rexy prolly watches from the sideline and see how far KKK/TBH would go under Pang/Razif. Also, I feel Rexy is a sincere person who would not gravitate if TBH/KKK screw up bigtime. The MD landscape has changed with 2 top KOR pair, 2 INA pair, FHF/CY, the 2 danish pair and KKK/TBH. Even the Taiwanese and Nippon pairs are tough. So, chances of winning OLY12 or even medalling, I would not bet on it, in fact, I think TBH/KKK best years are over;)

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Personally i think the problem do not lie on rexy.. It's the player themself.. What a shame..

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I support his decision to quit BAM......more news will come out very very soon

18. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    The meeting is in the process......come on Rexy!! quit BAM!

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Thats correct...actually, moe politics got into the play....

20. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

and then go back to indonesia to train INA team...?