Time to give up badminton???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CanucksDynasty, Nov 5, 2012.

1. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    Since my kids are young we joined the YMCA here in Canada to let them do swimming, dancing (Ballet and Jazz) and Martial Arts all in one place for once set fee (works out to $1200 a year for everything). YMCA also has badminton but it's a mixed bag of player levels (mostly beginner).

My point is not to sell YMCA (which I think is great) but to say perhaps there's cheaper options to keep everyone going?

Don't know how it is in Vancouver but here there are clubs that charge $50/$60 for the entire school year one night a week. Granted not many are like that, most are more like $100 but if you're on a budget you can find such places. I'm in one.

I hope you don't have to give up badminton but I feel for your sacrifice. We make them as parents all the time. To me, I think it's worth it but ultimately that's something you have to work out with your spouse.

Best of luck to you.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If it's any consolation, I have quit playing long ago. BUT watching & following badminton updates, that no way will quit.
    My exercise? Comes from other activities, mainly walking, very fast eagle style :p

So, you can try work it out that you play once in 2 weeks or play less hours to save the court fees

3. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Community Centres...hmmm. It will be a cheaper option. I'll have to take a look into that and see if any are provided close by home and works with our timetables.

The $150/month for 2 nights a week is the going rate for a dojo for areas close to home...I checked and asked around. I know of someone who has their kids learning martial arts from someone's home once a week for $50/month (under the table). So I might consider that route...but my daughter is an extrovert...likes to play with other kids.

I'm getting up there in age...so working an extra part time job will be exhausting. Plus it'll take away time from the family.

The die has been cast. The smile she had while in class pretty much over-ruled any lingering doubts. I told my daughter last night that I would give up playing badminton so she can keep going to martial arts so long as she behaves, listens to mommy and daddy, etc. If she doesn't, then no more martial arts and daddy can go back to playing badminton. My wife will be happy as I'll be home every night.

As for exercise...there is a Fight Fit class provided to parents at $5/class. That's something I could do while my daughter is taking her lessons.

My wife is not too keen to continuing the martial arts. Cuz it makes for a busy schedule and the cost factor. So we may just end up cancelling anyways.

While I may not have the passion for badminton as some...let's just say my child's happiness/future trumps all.

It'll probably be just a 5 yr break. That's when there's no more daycare expenses. So that money can be diverted to kids lessons/activities. Then I can get back into badminton. :)

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Stark contrast to the $50 a YEAR I paid in college for 4 nights a week :D:eek:, subsidized of course at the university sports center (choice of jiu-jitsu 2 nights, karate 1 and judo 1 iirc. Sensei was a 5th or 6th dan jiu-jitsu, retired from working already and on the board of the national federation).
    Over here 400 euro a year for badminton membership is a lot already, including league play, training and shuttles. For youth it's usually half that, less even at "normal" clubs. Other sports are in line with these figures I believe ...

Conclusion: emigrate! [​IMG]

Have to note though that playing time is restricted to specific hours as most clubs don't have their own facility but rent the courts from the city run community sports centres. Drop in facilities are minimal over here ... only place I've used it's ~20 euro a court per hour.

#24 demolidor, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

CanucksDynasty: I admire your willingness to sacrifice for your kid . Good luck with your decision. See you in five years ( ... but perhaps sooner).Demolidor: Emigrate? We have heard how 'easy' it is to become a citizen of small overcrowded European countries. ;-)

6. CanucksDynasty

I'll still be playing until end of November. That's when my credits are up. It'll be at least a 1yr absence to stay home and take care of the newborn. Hope to be playing badminton sooner than 5yr though.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well, CD, it does look like you've got a lot on your plate, and more coming with the stork! And most of this is all good stuff! I'd say, not attending badminton sessions may not be a sacrifice, but an adjustment that's necessary for you to enjoy the more precious gifts of life... :)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I admire your willingness to make this sacrifice for your family. Remember it's much cheaper to play doubles and drop in than booked courts and singles.

The way I look at it: a man's gotta have a hobby in life apart from work. And badminton is way cheaper than smoking, drinking, golf, skiing, etc.

However, let me know when you're parting with your MXJJS. ;) :D

#28 visor, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. CanucksDynasty

:eek: The MX-JJS is still warm in my hands :p

I'm going to look into drop-ins and/or join a group when it's feasible to do so. Drop-ins for a year would be about $300. Joining a group...maybe $400?

I have another hobby that's way cheaper. Once a month I play a board game with some friends from high school on a Sunday afternoon. It's free and it's a way for us to keep in touch.

10. raistian

raistian Regular Member

From that $800-$1000/ year, how much do you need to save? If all of it, I can see why you must stop. If you need to save $400 for example, you can do so by playing half as often.

Respect for sacrificing for the youngling(s). My parents did & I'm forever grateful for that :)

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Hey CD, I just got a great idea! You know that "Test Your Might" night on Fridays at Badminton Vancouver... well you and I could enter the MD category and not only do we get to play for 2 hours, but if we win (which is most likely given the level there) we can walk away with a $50 prize! So in effect we would be getting paid to play! :D

12. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    You guys should definitely go. Its a round robin so even if you don't win, you still get lots of playtime in with the semi-competitive people there.

13. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I pay $5 per hour (or less) for court, $5 per tube. the only thing that expensive here is the racket (even then, it is like $50 cheaper than in the USA for high end model)
    $30-$60 per month for martial arts (go for silat.. do you watch the raid? :p)
    conclusion?
    migrate to Indonesia
    it has much lower living cost and affordable lesson cost! :p

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Still have to watch The Raid. Found out about by accident when the tv guide used the wrong description for a film with the same title :rolleyes::). I did Pukulan Cimande a few weeks but not my cup of tea :p (or probably better said, the teaching style was not my cup of tea), little brother did "regular" Silat for a few years though but was still a little kid. Not much of the skill left [​IMG].

srry for the off-topic ;).

on topic: with no NHL yet, I guess minor leagues will have to fill those dark winter days without badminton [​IMG]. G'luck! [​IMG]

KHL [​IMG]

15. CanucksDynasty

I'd just drag you down to my level :( :p. Fridays are usually considered part of the weekend. And weekends are family time for me. Thanks for the offer though...much appreciated.

It's OK. I'm resolved to do this. My daughter has recently been behaving quite good ever since I told her I would quit badminton so she can do martial arts. We'll see how long that lasts.

My wife has veto power...so there's still a chance I won't be gone from badminton too long. As with everything...things/situations can change.

16. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    CD

It is a delimma, but a good one to have; a new memeber to the family. Believe me, they grow up a lot faster than you think; before you know it, like I told you last night, my oldest girl will be 22 in a couple of weeks, she don't even play badminton with her old man anymore, I am just too slow for her =).

Badminton certainly could be a very economical sport, just find a group to play and settle with your current racquets, $400 a year will get you a long way. I know a couple of groups with be excellent for you and your buddy.

Badminton is also a excellent family sport as well, as you know all my kids play and so as my wife. A lot of time is all about finding the right group to accommadate the variance of levels within your family. My group on Saturday afternoon is good example, as my younger kids is playing with my friends kids, friends wifes are playing together and I got to play with my buddies and some other drop-in crews. There is always a solution, I am sure you will find your sweet spot.

Cheers

Ted

17. CanucksDynasty

Definitely will consider joining a group (once my newborn isn't that much of a handful :rolleyes:).

It is my hope that my kids will also develop an interest in badminton. Then it's easier to allocate $$ for it. :p

Time will tell.

18. CanucksDynasty

Jusr checked local community centres. They have Karate for $50 (once a week for 10 weeks). Downside is it's for 6yrs old and up. Future possibilities.

19. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I wish i am in Vancouver too :(

20. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Suggestion

Hi CD,
    Not sure what level you are at but the Richmond Badminton Club plays Tues/Thurs/Sun evenings at a school gym and they use feathers. All levels of players and cost is pretty reasonable ($155/season for one night a week, $260/season for two nights and $365/season for three nights). The season/schedule usually starts Oct to May (during school year) and break for the summer.

$800 to $1000/year is pretty expensive and as Tedski can attest to, it depends on what you are seeking out of badminton.

WWC