Let's conclude it, Lin Dan is the best MS baddy player in human history.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Wong8Egg, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- True, i also won't put AG in the same level as the AE, OG and WC simply for the same reason. I, personally, won't put it as a "Slam" event..maybe a "mini Slam"..
    - My reason on why winning the AG is sort of important to secure his place as the top 5 MS in baddy history is because it shows that you are the best in the region or part of the world; and we know how badminton is essentially a highly respected game in the Asian community/that part of the world and most of the world's top players come from that region. Second, your hero ZJH also won it twice, so, if LD were to win, eventhough not twive, it shows that he belongs in that class as well.;)

2. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

I'd say AE is top of the crop and OG is second. It's the rarity of the OG that makes it special:D!

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I respect your opinion:) AE was once upon a time the inaugural world championship of badminton as I know when I was a young and good looking lad in a galaxy long time ago:crying: AE is the oldest one too >100 years old. But AE comes once a year, therefore if a player played 10 years he has 10 tries. LD had won it 3X in the modern era and there are 2 more chances to screw around on AE for that fella. Of course, for obvious reason he gifted one AE to CJ (why not gift one to me, I want one too:crying:). OLY comes once in 4 years, a player not only played for himself but the weight of the entire nation is on his/her shoulder, the pressure far outweighs AE or any SS, including WC too. OLY IMHO is the mother of them all. IMO, someone can in future win more AE, more WC to pass the next fella, but OLY gold is difficult. If LD wins 2 OLY gold, someone could possibly tie that mark one day, but to get 3 to past LD, I am not sure it is even possible, ask go Tom Cruise:p;) If LD wins OLY12 gold, if I am him, I would look back and bang myself for missing the 2000 OLY gold when he was WR1, and that could make it 3 golds.;)

#303 OneToughBirdie, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

anyone wantst to compare that wr #1 leechongwei chap to lindan?any of leechongwei's fanboyz?

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    can't agree more ;)

here you use 'if' when the event hasn't come true yet and this sound more like a neutralist ;)

holly banana? lol
    i knew you forgot something and yes never compare to past eras as there is no end to arguments ;)

6. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes og is special because of the rarity and it's not fair to say anybody winning this title once or twice is the best baddy in history because og only start late, 1996 or 2000 (am not sure)?

its just not fair to the players from the past era ;)

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I see your point here, sounds reasonable. Then Chris may be correct, in LD current era i.e. last 10 years...and for all time best, I forgot Rudy H with his 8AEs (he is famous enough to go by his first name), sorry I don't mean Rudy Hauge :D;)

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, chris is correct and for the rudy h's record (the one with the artono at the back), i think with 8 ae's its safe to say nobody's going to break it for many years to come ;)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..actually that is not hard to make or conclude....again, (to clarify) that is my own personal neutral p.o.v.
    On Rudy Hartono, imo, he partly got his 8 AE titles because he didn't have much competition during that time. His main or i should say real competitions were actually "stranded" in China (their own decision to go there), see Hou JC and Tang XH. If both of them actually had the chance to compete internationally (whether for INA or CHN), he probably wouldn't have those 8 AE titles. Yeah, he should thank his lucky stars, thank them & the CHN govt too..;)
    As for the all time best, i wouldn't put Rudy H. at the top, although winning 7 straight AE titles is really a phenomenal accomplishment. Again, different era and time. If you ask my opinion, I would put him as arguably one of the top 3 if not top 5 best MS in history.

#309 ctjcad, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Again, it it not Rudy fault that Tang/Hou did not play and Rudy won, I think we pretty much can agree on that. And we can't go back in time to find out either. Same for LCW too on WR1 with LD MIA. Rudy's 8AEs stays and so does the record. That is why it is impossible to compare different eras. Perhaps, more fitting to say Rudy was the best during his era.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..so, who should Rudy Hartono thank for his 8 AE titles??..;)

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Rudy thanks no one, he earned them himself...Rudy still has to beat out the best from the rest of the gang that showed up to play in all those 8AEs.;)

13. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Thing and How didn't compete in international games in the 60s and 70s so couldnt count. And remember THing and How's skills were honed in Indonesia by Indonesian coaches. If Thing and How had competed whether with INA or CHN, Indonesian coaches would up the training of Rudy and his colleagues. Rudy s won all those 8 championship fair and square. Remember, the mercurial Iie Sumirat beat both Thing and How in 75. Thing and How were already in their 30s they were one generation ahead of Rudy, Muljadi and Iie. So we cant compare.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    Tang Xinhu once (basically at the end of his playing career) beat another great player, Erland Kops (who was 5 yrs older than Tang), in an exhibition game, by the score of 15-0, 15-0..

I think Rudy was also lucky (or maybe smart to keep himself in shape) not to sustain any injury or lingering injury; sustaining that long of an achievement was not easy..

#314 ctjcad, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Exactly, all great players who maintain a long winning streak needs good health/luck to stay injury free, you can say the same for LD who has been tops for so long and injury free, in fact I have not seen LD wear brace at all. Players who play and win, as Rudy and LCW did, they earn them. Those players who opt not to play, too bad. The record stays.

16. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

yes, it's not Rudy's fault that better players could not compete, and no doubt Rudy got the best achievements under such circumstances. however this could not equal to 'the best player of the era'.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Nod. Only as the best AE winner. That's how i would remember him

#317 cooler, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  18. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    That was simply because during that era, there was no OG nor WC and the AE was the equivalent of the latter. If badminton were recognized by the Olympic council then as one of the official games, then arguably RH was the first double Olympic champions since his AE triumphs spanned more than 8 years.

It could went the same way to the WC as well. RH could have crowned world champions 4 times if the inaugural edition begin in the 60s and not till 1977.

Also take note that the very first few editions of the WC was held once in every 3 years and later changed to once in 2 years unlike for 2006-2009, it was an annual event where it benefited the winner on his records book. And that is LD being the case in discussion here.

So based on yours people ways of assumptions, I would say RH was the one who sets the bar so high that nobody could come near him statistically. For that matter, RD is the best player in the history of badminton and not LD!

For you being ignorant, biased and only see one side of a coin, that's how I would remember you.

#318 Aspire, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We cannot say that Lin Dan is the best MS player in human history

We cannot say that Lin Dan is the best MS player in human history.

We can only say that he is found to be the best MS player playing currently.

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

The game is developing all the time, so the new players are better equip (technically physically equipment people suport etc) than before. So lets say today the young RH meets with LD, i will bet my house LD will not only win but will thrash RH. But ofcourse they live in different era, it was simply imposible for RH (although he may have the capability) to reach LD current level. The game simply was not yet developed to the current level. And if we look to the future, better players than LD will emerge. And they will play at the level we cant even imagine properly right now, and thats something that also imposible for LD to reach today.

Therefore if the question is simply on LD is the best MS player ever, I would say yes. I would also say yes, if the question ask if in the future the best MS player will be better than LD. Its too simple and it happens in every sports, Tyson vs Ali, Maradona vs Pele, Federer vs Sampras etc. I like the later discussion that focuses more on the winning record, that way we can better compare apple with apple.