Lee Chong Wei is now No. 1

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by hoiboy79, Aug 21, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What do you mean by 'be subjective'?
    And you regard Time magazine as an authority on badminton?
    I don't know about its US edition but Time's Asia edition have often fallen short on Asian features.One of its most famous is its feature on 'Asian faces to watch...'Former MAS Deputy Prime Minister Musa Hitam was listed as one of them and guess what happened to him? Maybe he got jinxed by Time. And there were many others who did not live up to Time's tales.When an ex-colleague ,known for getting full credit for work done by others, got a full page feature, it dawned on me Time's space may be not worth much in spite of its circulation.
    However I'm delighted badminton got coverage through LD and TH . I'm also happy for you that you judge badminton aces by their badminton credentials because that's the easiest way to do it, just as Time did.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

3. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Time Mag. may not be right all the time. BTW, which and who is right all the time. Time Mag. mentioned TH and LD names but didn't predict them as outright winner for Oly.

Cheers pjswift.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

A very insightful opening sentence LOL. :D

LCW did pretty well in the past year so he deserves the No. 1 title. Although one must realize that if LD didn't lose to CJ in AE and ABC, LD should still be No. 1. But, match-fixing or not, that's LD's own choice anyway, and he indeed benefited from it in the OG.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton players are not individual/independent players

ye333 ... I don't think it's LD own choice.

Today, participants in Badminton, (same with sports like Cycling, Formula 1 Racing, etc...) are still under the instructions from Team Managements. If they disobey the instructions given to them, they could be excluded from their teams.

Only at such time when Badminton players are individual/independent players, then they could choose what they like to do.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    these 2 didn't win any medals at 08 OG.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that's because in this OG, the hot badminton topics were can PSH beat LD, can LCW beat LD, there were polls created for each of these matches. There are too many doubters out there and LD was committed silence all those doubters and non-believers. LD decided to use his rarely used 6th gear to beat psh and lcw to make a point. U see, if LD use his 6 gear all the time, people wil call his cocky, a showoff and arrogant so he only use it sparingly:)

#107 cooler, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Tuesday September 9, 2008
    Badminton: Chong Wei holds advantage to book world championships spot
    By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: National number one Lee Chong Wei has a head start as far as qualification for next year’s World Badminton Champion-ships is concerned.

And he intends to keep the momentum going when he takes part in three back-to-back Open tournaments — Japan Open (Sept 16-21), China Masters (Sept 23-28) and Macau Open (Sept 30-Oct 5).

Chong Wei has set his sights on winning honours in the world championships, which will be held in India from Aug 10-16.

The 52-week qualifying period ends in May and the top 16 in the ranking are assured of places in the championships.

Chong Wei harboured hopes of becoming the first Malaysian world champion last year but he was beaten by Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

In the first tournament that offered qualifying points for the world championships, the Beijing Olympics last month, Chong Wei emerged as runner-up to China’s Lin Dan.

He moved up one rung to number one in the ranking and will be out to retain the Japan Open title.

“In order to remain at the top, I have to win the Japan Open title,” said Chong Wei after a training session at Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“The qualifying period for the world championships has already begun. I want to do well in all the tournaments so that I can maintain my number one status for a long time.

“China and South Korea are not sending their best players to Tokyo. But I expect tough challenges from Indonesia and Denmark, who will have their best players there.”

Top seeded Chong Wei has in his half of the draw three Indonesians — fourth seed Taufik Hidayat, Simon Santoso and Tommy Sugiarto — and two Danes, Joachim Persson and Jan O. Jorgensen.

The other half of the draw has second seed Sony, three Chinese players — Chen Yu, Gong Weijie, Li Yu – and Dane Peter Gade-Christensen.

Chong Wei added that he was recovering from a bout of fever.

“I was down with fever on Friday but I had two days of good rest. I just slept in. But I will not let this affect my plan to do well in Japan,” he said.

Until a week ago, he had been busy attending numerous functions since winning the silver medal in the Beijing Olympics.

“I still think about the defeat by Lin Dan. He was so fast that I could not play my normal game,” he added.

“It hurts just thinking about the match. I even felt numb during the medal ceremony.”

9. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    LOL... The match hurt more people than LCW could ever imagine... Boleh spirit took a huge blow, and it will never be the same again.:eek:

10. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    hey here

tell me please how long LD is at the top of rankings and what is his meeting score with LCW?:)

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

maybe cooler or bananakid can help u on this..:p
    or u can check it out on the BWF website..
    here

12. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
  13. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    a bit strange how LD hold 1st rank for more than year and just after olympics win went down to 2nd.. as seems olympic medal doesnt change much.. as if Chong Wei won ;)

14. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    A very strange also a player can be in the No. 1 position although he has not ever win the major championship in his career.

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

anyway, thats the fact..:);)
    we cannot change the fact..:cool::cool:

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER

Fact sometimes is cruel...:p:D

17. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

Does anybody knows how the points of a player works ? Like if player X wins player Y in the first round of a tournament, then how much point will player X get ?

:confused:

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli

nope...it been fixed...see the rank of tournament...and different point for different stage...:D...highest is bwf tournament(olympic,wc),and then super series then grand prix gold and so on...

the highest point is champion of bwf tournament...12000(lin dan wc point12000 been replace by OG champion point)so...no change......that the reason...and last year lcw lost in quater...but this time is runner up...more 2k ++ points...

only team event count base on opponent ranking + stage

19. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    ppl i am new here so just inform me very primitive news) what is major championships in badminton, who win, who strong.. i just saw the Olympics
    after this LD seems unbeatable but probably he is not:rolleyes:

20. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Since Lin Dan has already stated that he will be skipping all tournaments until November of this year... that just goes to show everyone how Lin Dan does NOT care about his world ranking status any more ever since he won OG08.