Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Might as well go for the Tun...just imagine Tun OTB, hmm that sounds good...LOL:D
    Happy chinese new year to you and to everyone in BC.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    They set a limit for Tun. Someone has to be stripped off or passed away before a new one is conferred.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/253320

....National badminton ace Lee Chong Wei has reportedly expressed surprise over the suggestion that he be made MCA's candidate for the Kajang by-election against opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim.

According to Utusan Malaysia, Lee said that he wasn't aware of the rumours that have been circulated over the past few days that Lee could stand in Kajang, since he is from Kajang and is seen as a candidate who can match up to Anwar in terms of popularity.

The suggestion was first made by BN's Padang Besar MP Zahidi Zainul Abidin two days ago.

MCA itself did not respond negatively to the rumours, with its president Liow Tiong Lai not ruling out the possibility when met by reporters after the Chinese New Year open house by the party yesterday.

However, Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin has issued a stern warning, saying that he would not allow Lee to be used for political purposes.

"Don't touch Lee Chong Wei. He is a national treasure. As the sports minister I do not allow it," he said in his Twitter account.

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    View attachment 155257

National badminton ace Lee Chong Wei has reportedly expressed surprise over the suggestion that he be made MCA's candidate for the Kajang by-election against opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim.

5. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

He doesn't seem to reject the idea

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Easy, just get a chick with hidden camera and tun otb is on the way :D

7. SibugiChai

YAB
    yes... that's what i feel too... seems like he is open to that idea... pending approval from TOP !

malaysia Manny Pacquiio...

8. SibugiChai

YAB
    KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 1 ― Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin today warned that he will not allow any attempt to get national badminton icon Datuk Lee Chong Wei involved in the impending Kajang by-election.
    Responding to the suggestion on Twitter, Khairy said no party should make use of the world number one badminton player’s popularity in the political contest.

“Pls don’t touch LCW. He is a national treasure. Sbg Menteri Sukan saya tak benarkan (As Sports Minister I won't allow it),” he said.
    Lee was also taken aback by the suggestion, saying that he had no idea his name was bandied about as a potential candidate for Barisan Nasional (BN) in the Selangor state seat.
    “I don’t know anything and was never informed about the suggestion to make me candidate for the constituency,” he was quoted today as saying by Malay daily Utusan Malaysia.
    On Thursday, Padang Besar Umno division chief Datuk Zahidi Zainul was quoted in media reports as saying that MCA ― which contested the seat in Election 2013 ― should field Lee as their candidate to rival the popularity of PKR's de facto chief and chosen candidate, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
    MCA president Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai yesterday at his party’s Chinese New Year open house declined to comment on the suggestion to rope in Lee, though he did say that the athlete’s popularity could be on par with Anwar’s.

On Monday, PKR’s Kajang assemblyman Lee Chin Cheh abruptly quit the state legislative assembly, later explaining that his decision was for the benefit of the party.
    The move came not long after media speculation that a state by-election would be triggered to pave the way for Anwar to become a member of the Selangor assembly and qualify to replace Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim.
    PKR leaders initially denied the claims, though party strategist Rafizi Ramli has since come out to say that it was a tactical move to strengthen Pakatan Rakyat’s hold on the state.
    Lee’s resignation and the subsequent announcement of Anwar’s candidacy was roundly criticised by leaders in PR partners PAS, whose national leadership indicated that they may not support Anwar if he were to make a move for the coveted MB post.
    PR currently holds 44 of the 56 seats in the Selangor state assembly. PAS and DAP both have 15 seats each, while PKR has 13 after Kajang assemblyman Lee Chin Cheh’s sudden resignation earlier this week.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Me?
    In politics?

10. SibugiChai

YAB
    KUALA LUMPUR: MCA has finalised its list of candidates for the Kajang state seat by-election and will submit it to the Barisan Nasional leadership for a final decision, said party president Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai.

Speaking to reporters at the MCA Chinese New Year open house on Friday, he said that the main consideration for the party’s choice of candidates was their winnable qualities.

Asked about talk that national badminton ace Datuk Lee Chong Wei was among the names listed, he declined to comment on the candidacy but replied: “Anything is possible.”

The Kajang state seat fell vacant following the resignation of its assemblyman Lee Chin Cheh of PKR. Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim is being fielded as the party’s candidate.

The move allegedly is an attempt to install Anwar as Selangor Mentri Besar, replacing Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim in order to resolve an internal crisis in the state.

Liow said such internal strife within Pakatan has made MCA confident of winning back the seat.

“MCA has a good track record in Kajang and I do not see any reason why we cannot take it back,” he added.

Liow also criticised PKR for purposely making the state seat vacant and described the move as a “mistake”.

He accused PKR of being insensitive to the people who were facing a rising cost of living.

“PKR should be working towards boosting the economy and not forcing a by-election for their own personal agenda,” he said.

Liow urged Kajang voters to use the by-election to teach PKR a lesson not to do this again.

“We can’t allow this to happen. The people need to wake up and send a message that this cannot be repeated. Anwar has done this before in Permatang Pauh (in 2009), and now he is using the Kajang state seat for his personal agenda,” he said.

Meanwhile, Gerakan president Datuk Mah Siew Keong said the party would throw its support behind MCA to field a candidate for the Kajang state seat.

He said his party would support any candidate which Barisan picked, but stressed that the seat should rightfully be contested by MCA.

“The principle here is that MCA should contest Kajang. We are not going to fight for it or anything (because) that is the spirit of Barisan.

“Even if MCA contests, it is still on a Barisan ticket. I think that is the best because if we tukar-tukar (change), there may be problems,” he told reporters at the Gerakan Chinese New Year open-house here Friday.

11. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

from what he behaves, LCW looks like to be born to be a politician, especially one for the party he supports... like people like party....

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lcw:maybe...er...maybe...maybe

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Maybe... needs green signal from Home Ministry...

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    For all Malaysian dudes out there...it proves you need not study hard cracking your brains in a dungeon in University and then worked like a dog stressing and dying young, a Form 3 dropout has hope, big time hope, you wanna drive Ferrari and be a Dato (not the Dato that pBm gives out) just get connected...only in MAS Boleh

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    its true that connection is much more fruitful than working hard

but connection is very hard to establish that's why so few succeed in establish the required connection

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Whatever it is, there's no shortcut in life. One has to bear in mind that success only comes with their own hard work and determination and this is apply in everywhere in the world, not just in Malaysia ;)

17. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Although I appreciate your humour, you need to know how hard one needs to work in order to reach LCW's level. Doing well in University is a piece of cake (comparatively), training badminton competitively and doing well is much much harder. From the way you type, I dont think you actually attend any training session that is semi-competitive. If you have done it, you wouldn't have make fun of LCW's achievement, let alone his education level (however casually you try to put).

18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Humour aside, that is correct of my postings and my outlook in life in general. Life is too short to worry about the 'small potato' thingie especially in things that doesn't affect me and on top of that being badminton discussion, one big hairy deal. I do joke a lot.

Laughter and humour are cures to a lot of ills, take life easy, enjoy a cruise here and there, play baddy with good looking chicks than being stuck up in your butt over small things that should you die, you would not want to contain all those hot gas exploding inside your ass.

If you follow my postings, I said LCW is carrying BAM backpack on his scrawny shoulder, that without him and to a certain extent KKK/TBH for their earlier success, the media and MAS rakyat would not be that forgiving seeing the system is rotting and downhill without these trios. BAM officials are banking their jobs and justify their salary on the success of LCW. I am not a doc but I believe that stress and piss off over anything can succumb your body to illness and cancer cells can invade, your mood affects all the people around you, from your co-workers to your friends and family, not worth a dime. Would I let some BC posters affect me, not a chance.

I also said LCW IMO, the best baddy player MAS has ever produced, based on the way he plays this game more than the major titles he has achieved for MAS. Of course, I know how hard not only how LCW trains but all pro baddy players train just as hard and the risk they took that if they don't succeed, then their future is at risk when their services are no longer needed. Just look at the knee and back ache, the brace on their knees, tapping on the shoulders, that says it all. CHN players train just as hard if not harder, as the internal competition is intensely breathing hard to take over, no secure jobs. Dong Jiong reportedly had blown his knee when he retired barely in his late 20's. CHN produce champions the hard way, take it or leave.

MAS players especially the top players can get complacent knowing their jobs are safe as they are no internal threats. BAM is actually scared **** LCW retires this year, LCW is the only one and he calls the shot. You cannot deny the immense connection power that LCW has, just the other day, kairy said 'LCW is our national treasure' politics better stay away. LCW knows where he stands, and capitalize on that, I would too if I am him, milk it when you can, why not? Pro players play to make $$$, not social baddy like me with these chicks here.

I play social (SBA halls), street (strung a net and play in the street where I live), community (when growing up in MAS, we had the mickey mouse community organized leaque that I play 3rd MD, our team lost every match), never make my school baddy team (I was that bad a player) when I was growing up in KL. But I do play club level table tennis in KL, playing for 2 clubs, but that was a long time ago when i was a really good looking chap in KL. Made it to Selangor School Open semi-final twice and each time losing to Peong Tak Sing, the 8-time MAS national champion. I played club TT till the year I left MAS to do 2 engineering degrees.

You are correct in one thing, I do not play semi in any sport. Even if I have the talent which i don't have, I take the easy and safe path to be an engineer, not remotely close to as rich as LCW but I am doing fine.

19. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Please do not get me wrong, joke away if you like. In fact I encourage people to joke. But my point is there is a fine line between joking with a good sense and making a joke that is seemingly on the borderline of personal attack. Like you said you know the nature of LCW's job (not requiring a degree), maybe making a joke on it once or twice is acceptable. But do scroll back and tell me how many times have you mentioned him being a form 3 drop-out in his thread. That gives (at least to me) an impression that you do not think much about him (especially his education level) and the tone you mention how he milk the system certainly doesn't help your cause or your point about this being a "mere" joke. It's fine if you mentioned this once or twice, but to repeat it like a broken radio, it does seem that you have a problem with him. And that's where I found this joke to be a bit "distasteful". While I acknowledge you have your own opinions, but I will also ask you very politely to respect this man in his very thread. He is political connected, so be it. He got there with his own capability unlike many royal members and political connected families in Malaysia.

He is rich, big deal. So is Lin Dan, Roger Federal, Ronaldo and etc. He deserves it and is totally fine he exercise his power or influence however he wants. Just like Lin Dan has the right to skip tournament, shot a few commercial advertisement and come back to badminton anytime he wants. And likewise you also has the right to pursue your degree and exercise your privilege as an Engineer to sign engineering drawings to make money. That's just the way the system is, so I guess we just have to accept it.

It is good to know you won't get upset by certain posts in BC. That takes wisdom and I do think that is a great ability to have. :) This is also part of my reason of being frank and blunt in my post. I am sure you will enjoy a good laugh while reading my post ;).

Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year.

20. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei has always stood across the net from Lin Dan of China but come Sunday, the two greatest players will do the unthinkable – team up in the men’s doubles event in the name of sports promotion.
    On Monday, Chong Wei said that he was looking forward to the prospect of playing alongside Lin Dan in an exhibition match on Feb 16 in Lingshui, China, in conjunction with the opening of a new national training centre in the province.
    And to make it even more mouth-watering, the duo will take on five-time world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China.
    It is the first time that Lin Dan will be making his appearance in front of his fans after having beaten Chong Wei in the final of the World Championships in Guangzhou last August.
    “I received an invitation from China’s chief coach Li Yongbo to take part in this exhibition match. I was surprised that he wanted me to play with Lin Dan in the doubles .... I have not played doubles before but this is a good idea to promote the game and will be good for the sport,” said the 31-year-old Chong Wei.
    “Initially, Lin Dan and I were to take on Cai Yun and Chen Long but unfortunately, Chen Long could not make it. Now, we will be facing Cai Yun-Haifeng (the four-time world champions).
    “There are three Chinese players and one Malaysian in this exhibition match and it is an honour. I will do whatever I can to promote the sport wherever possible.
    “Maybe, the experience of playing in an exhibition match like this will get me excited and I may reconsider any plan I have of retiring from the sport,” he said with a smile.
    Chong Wei noted that China’s training centres were mushrooming but in Malaysia, the nation still did not have one that they can proudly call their own. In fact, some training centres in the states are in deplorable condition.
    The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have planned to set up a new state-of-the-art training centre for some time now but it still remains a grand scheme on paper.
    When asked to comment on Lin Dan’s return to the competitive scene after six months away and a possibility of both crossing swords at the World Championships in Copenhagen in August, surprisingly, Chong Wei’s face lit up.
    “I heard that he is coming back in March. I think it is good for the sport. I will be ready for him. I will train harder and prepare better to face him. Lin Dan is a great and strong player.”
    While Chong Wei will be battling for honours in the All-England from March 4-9 in Birmingham, there is a strong probability for the world No. 104th Lin Dan to make a return at the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold from March 11-16 and even at the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold in Johor Baru from March 25-30.
    He may also compete in the two Superseries in India and Singapore in his bid to win quick ranking points to boost his world ranking before the qualifying period ends in May.
    Meanwhile, Chong Wei was happy that his team, Musica Flypower Champion, defended their title in the Indonesia Super League (ISL) in Surabaya on Sunday. Chong Wei had played twice during the group ties.
    “At first, I had no plans to play in ISL because I wanted to spend my first Chinese New Year with my wife (Wong Mew Choo) and my son. But the owner of the club is a good friend of mine and after much coaxing, I relented. He told me to play for fun but how can I play for fun?
    “I resumed training on the second day of Chinese New Year to prepare for the league although I committed to play in two group ties ... it was a small sacrifice from my side to just promote the game,” added Chong Wei.