2016 Rio Summer Olympics - Singles Maximum Lowered from 3 to 2.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Feb 11, 2014.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Olympics 2020 will be held in Japan. Maybe they will do just that then.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Pretty impressive! 11 pages of ...

[​IMG]

(perhaps you should actually find out the qualifying rules of other sports regarding the Olympics [​IMG] AND keep in mind the maximum number of players allowed per sport)

#182 demolidor, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    One picture speaks the volume...:)

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    You are the one who is :crying: all the way here ... Nobody ranted or done anything?? ..

You know one thing.. Still 2 more years to go for getting selected to RIO.. Let's see whether Wang zhenming will be on the fray(as a 3rd player) at that time before coming to a conclusion...;)

5. mindreader

mindreader Regular Member

No clown, I'm not crying at all. I've merely pointed out the fact that you don't actually have an argument. Any semblance of one you used helped my causes and hurt yours.

6. mindreader

That's very interesting. Highlight for me one REAL sport, outside of table tennis (already mentioned), which exclusively targeted a specific country.

Oh wait, there is none. Perhaps badminton isn't a real sport. Seems rather like to me the rest of the world is whining about not being allowed to win.

#186 mindreader, Mar 1, 2014
  7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    There is none.
    If there is a poll on this thread whether this 2-player rule is about IOC ideals to promote baddy and participation from many nations, or to control CHN dominating this sport and especially TT, it will be lop-sided in your favor, you don't really have to argue so hard, there really is no contest.
    CHN is dominant in baddy but not at the dominating level of TT where the best from the ROW, whether male or female, in any discipline, cannot hope for any medal of any color if OLY participation is open to 3 or 4 players from any nation that can qualify her players. CHN will sweep every medals in all 5 disciplines in TT.
    The rules change for TT is bordering on ridiculous, and there were so many rule changes since the days of 21-pt system, still CHN persevere. It might as well be CHN against the ROW (in 1 team) for OLY and WC.
    This 2-person rule will ensure no sweep for CHN, at the expense of her best players, plain and simple. To eliminate CHN domination, without introducing this 2-player rule, is to ban these 2 sports altogether.
    OLY after OLY, WC after WC, BWF cannot solve CHN domination, WO and match fixing. The latter 2 are not illegal but unsportsmanship, but then given the same opportunity, I don't believe other nations would not do it, just that they don't have the cards to play. On CHN domination, the ROW is not good enough. So if you cannot beat CHN, set rules to screw her. One swipe of the pen at IOC/BWF boardroom to initiate this rule, 3 birds are killed with 1 stone, marvelous and you can see beneficiary of this rule doing cartwheels and jumping jacks, while the affected players just helplessly gotten screwed, their OLY dream bite the dust.

8. mindreader

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but you seem to be of the opinion that I'm only concerned with the fairness portion of the rule change. It is not, though it is important. My argument is that the rule changes don't work.

The ultimate goal is to increase the popularity of badminton, correct? We want more popularity, more exposure, hopefully we want to head to a path of professional circuits and in the short term, we want other countries to be more competitive? How do the rule changes accomplish any of that? As AlanY mentioned, we've been limiting the Chinese ever since Sydney. For better or worse, that will be five Olympics after Rio, 16 to 20 years. We've only seen an increase in Chinese dominance since then.

These rule changes certainly don't increase the competitiveness of the rest of the world, unless you are putting it in relative terms, as in, potentially making the Chinese as mediocre as everybody else.

Instead of using these self-defeating methods, how about we replicated the Chinese training regime, science medicine, coaching methods and general dedication to the sport? That seems like getting to the root of the problem instead of beating around the bush.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Examples were quoted earlier.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    All of the above mentioned by mindreader is easier said than done. There are many issues that are inextricably linked with others, and while it may seem insurmountable, any solution would take more than just a few years.

So where to start? With the constitution of BWF itself, IMO. And with a change in the status of pro players.

I keep being reminded by the back of my head that one megabucks sport that doesn't rely on the OG for its popularity and health, is tennis. And all because at some opportune time in the past, it opted for a different approach. It is not impossible to borrow from the ATP model, but that is a big omelette we're talking about! And it will require a lot of very expensive, very powerful, broken eggs...

I have a feeling this is more suitable to other existing threads, but a lot of chatter on this thread is also related. In the end, I think we all want the same thing -with some minor variations or adjustments- but one thing is clear as day -as long as national pride and related structures and priorities/opportunities take precedence, all this ain't going nowhere!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I certainly agree you have a case for the world championships.

For the increased viewership on YouTube, I would like to see the breakdown of countries viewership before being totally convinced. There is a good possibility that a major proportion of the viewership was from just one country.

And to reiterate OTB, yes there is a location on a country. The problem came about by the sheer extent of manipulation that we have seen. So what LYB has done comes back on his team. Unfair for the china players, yes. Was China being fair on the rest of the world's players, BWF and the global game of badminton with their walkover/withdrawal? No

I'm guessing the rule change doesn't come because on wanting to limit the world's best players. I think it comes as a safeguard to reduce the manipulation that has happened in the past such as 2000 Olympics ladies singles semi final/final (link given previously).

http://www.badzine.net/features/statistics-one-out-of-five-matches-not-completed-in-all-china-affairs/17942/

(That Badzine statistic doesn't include matches where one side doesn't make an effort to play but completes the match).

What would be better for the game? Have the world's best players but the team orders abuse the system and deprive the fan of proper matches (and negative publicity). Or have the world's best players (bar a reduction of one), throw in some other continent's for the Olympic Rings and have the players fight it out to the best of their ability?

#191 Cheung, Mar 1, 2014
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Come again? :p

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Exactly. So BWF has tweak what it can at present. Wouldn't it be a nightmare to market a global game where matches are manipulated?

14. mindreader

I'm certainly not gonna sugar-coat it and suggest it's all easy. But you know what, the gap between China and other associations used to be much closer. Li Yongbo certainly didn't snap a finger and China started winning. No, at some point China did the work, despite it being hard. They improved their condition training, sports medicine, coaching, organization, systematic training and did plain hard work. Say what you will about the Chinese, when it counted, they got stuff done. Why can't other associations do that?

Other associations, my goodness, Korea can't even schedule a drug test for its most illustrious player. What we have here is to reduce the professionalism of the Chinese to these standards. I certainly hope that's not the case. If we want professional sports, this is not the way to do it.

It is hard work, it'll take time, but the longer we beat around the bushes the further behind the rest of the world falls. At this point we're not even TALKING about emulating the Chinese method, despite them having figured out how to do it for you.

15. mindreader

SC, mental lapse on my part.

16. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Whatever the motivations of the new rule, all that really matters is that CHN is the only association that will be affected by this (both now and in the foreseeable future), and it's impossible that BWF did not realize this but rather let this measure proceed anyways. Freeing up a single slot in each singles discipline is not going to accomplish anything except to decrease CHN's chances at a title.

As a collective organization, CBA is so far ahead of its competitors that it only makes sense that BWF would try to target it and Chinese players. And that's essentially all​ that matters about this policy.

17. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Replies in bold above.

18. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    totally agree. China's #3 Wang Zhengming already won 2 titles. how about kashyap as india's #1 ? how many titles already ?

and their ranking speaks by itself.

WZM #9
    KP #18

19. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    agree. If BWF really wants to popularize this game, then way BWF didn't set the rule of maximum 2 if in top 8 ?

sony, tanongsak, sindhu and etc will be out...so the other countries in africa or south america can gets more olympics ticket.

20. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Why China dominates? coz the other nations not work hard enough...

What China could manipulate matches? coz other nation not work hard enough to kick China's ass...

How do these less hard-working nations do? not work harder on court to beat China, but to use non-sports means to screw China, so that the less hard-working nations could win more...

what kinds of logic is this??? that's why i think this badminton sports is going to die...