Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Comprehension? Of what? :p

2. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

hehe Saina likes to do a bit of trash talking. i like that. You need to be bold and arrogant in order to challenge the Chinese.

3. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

thanks for proving my point ;)

4. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

thanks for proving my point ;)

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Right, whatever I'm not even sure what you're on about. But you're probably wrong.

6. phaedrus

phaedrus Regular Member

yeah, whatever. judging by your reading skills and comprehension of the english language, not surprised at all.
    keep the hate going though, dont let facts come in your way.
    My last post on this. wont bother after this.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Right, you've obviously got a few things wrong.

My comprehension of the English language is rather good actually, I got a rather good grade in my English exam so yeah I'm actually able to read English :rolleyes:

What hate? And I am presenting the FACTS. This is reported in REUTERS a reliable source! This isn't the Sunday sport! Seriously you're so wrong it's unreal, I don't "hate" Saina, I just don't like her attitude. She acts as if she's gods gift to badminton, but regularly doesn't make it past the QF stage...

Yeah, and before you keep up the racist comments, I'm actually from the UK, I am not in SG, TW or HK. So next time before judging my English standard get your facts right. You've been on here 1 day and you've already came to the assumption I hate a player when all I did was present a newspapers report.

8. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Don't mean to add fuel to this debate, but let me try :) Consider her quote that Chinese players are "scared" of her.

"At least I know they are scared of me, I can see it in their eyes, I am happy to scare six or seven of them. I just have to work out a good strategy again them. I have to be ready for them," she said.

Look at her result. She lost to WYH 13-21, 13-21. Was losing to WX pretty handlly at 14-20 until she won 4 point before losing the game at 18-21. Lastly, trailing 0-1 before WX retired.

She did not beat a single Chinese player in this Olympics. In fact, lost all her games to the Chinese WS pretty badly. I think she obviously deserves her medal, but to say the Chinese WS are scared of her, that is a way overstatement.

9. faizan

faizan New Member

Student
    Saian Nehwal won bronze medal wow.... :)

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I dunno why people start hating sania? It's okay for trash talk in sports, look at nba, mourinho... But I guess eastern culture aren't use to this type of mental challenge. In fact I think trash talkin increased badminton revenue

11. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT

Well you should've also quoted Li and Yihan as well why quote only Saina if you do not intend to defame Saina. Let the world see what the players have said about Saina, Wang Xin and the bronze medal match so that they can draw their own conclusions.

From what I read, the "reliable" source from Reuters wrote that article to point out that the women's badminton is lacking sportsmanship. Player's from neither country have shown neither respect nor compassion towards each other and towards the game. You got your source right but its not fair to accuse only Saina for being arrogant. You say Saina is arrogant, I say all of them involved are arrogant.

This thread belongs to Saina and for her achievements. If you really want to rant about her then please open a new thread or go somewhere else.

Last but not the least, no matter how much we bias on these frivolous issues, players will not change. Its a waste of time for both of us. We should keep our discussion limited to the game on court and to the sport itself rather than who did what or who said what off the court. Yes its important to discuss these issues as well but we should know when to stop and where to draw the line. Honestly, I got pulled in to it just like many others but I want to stop now and I want to stop this spreading of hatred on this thread and other threads as well. As Cobalt pointed out the discussions on BC have become more toxic and spreading a lot of negative energy and I dont wanna be a part of it anymore. I hope you wish the same. Lets keep our discussion limited to the sport and if we veer off then we should realize where to draw the line.

Lets wish for a speedy recovery of our beloved players and hope they come back stronger. Once again Congratulations to all the medal winners!!! It was a pleasure watching some nice tight contests, excluding some untoward incidents, in this Olympic Games.... Peace Out!!!:D

#951 rahuldarga, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  12. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I've heard her interviews immediately after the match in Hindi and she was by no means being disrespectful to any player she has played....i think its the media who are misinterpreting her views.

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

why can't we all just give it a break?
    it doesn't matter who said what and why?

let them play it out on court, isn't that all about?

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Yes, I agree. There was lots of posts previously about her arrogance but when someone posted the actual video (I think it was cobalt), what she said was the total opposite.

Anyway coming back to the Oly, WX was running out of gas by the end of the 1st set which made Saina close the gap. I have no doubts she would have won the match if not for the injury given her superior stamina. Anyway it is just my opinion, if anyone does not agree it is fine as everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Saina needs to focus on strategy in countering WYH by outmaneuvering and forcing mistakes. Easier said than done given WYH's advantage in height and reach.

She should do what LCW did to Chen Long. Perfect strategy was employed by keeping CL guessing on the shot and driving it to the body.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    One of the more serious and respected, and less sensationalist national papers had this complete report.

'Miracle win': Saina Nehwal wins bronze medal after opponent pulls out

The Indian Express
    London, Sat Aug 04 2012

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/m...ronze-medal-after-opponent-pulls-out/983888/0

Full story:

Saina Nehwal today created history by becoming the first Indian to win an Olympic Games bronze medal in badminton, though under fortuitous circumstances, as her world number two Chinese opponent retired from the play-off because of a knee injury.

The 22-year-old Saina was trailing 18-21, 0-1 in the high-voltage bronze medal play-off match when her second seeded opponent Xin Wang retired hurt, giving India an unexpected medal without having to sweat much.

Saina also became the second Indian woman to win an Olympic medal, after Karnam Malleswari's weightlifting bronze in 2000 Sydney Olympics.

With the addition of Saina's bronze, India's medal collection in the ongoing Olympics has gone upto three with pistol shooter Vijay Kumar (silver) and seasoned marksman Gagan Narang (bronze) being the other medal winners.

The packed Wembly arena, which had a seizable chunk of vociferous Indian supporters cheering for Saina, were taken by surprise when the script suddenly changed with Wang getting injured towards the very end of the first game.

Wang got herself medical attention and even went in for the second game but conceded the match after just one point. A thunderous roar greeted Saina when it was announced that she had won the bronze medal and Wang had retired.

"I still can't believe that I have won a medal. In badminton, I never believed that India could win a medal because the competition is so tough. It is a dream come true for me," Saina said after the match.

"I had trained hard and there was a lot of expectation. I initially thought that she was just taking rest as she was tiring, but then I realised she was injured. It's sad that she got injured, but I was confident of beating her as I was coming into rhythm," she said.

Saina said her defeat against top ranked player Yihan Wang of China yesterday was still rankling her as she had adopted a wrong strategy against her.

"Today's match was crucial. But I was still thinking about what happened yesterday. But as the game went, I began to play better. I felt that she was tiring and I had my chance," the ace shuttler said.

Saina, seeded fourth, started off well by taking an early lead but the Chinese clawed back and the score moved neck and neck till 6-6. From then on, the Chinese increased the lead by not allowing Saina to play her natural game.
    Wang took a lead of 16-10 but the Indian again showed her tenacity by reducing the margin and engaging her opponent in long rallies, a tactics which she could not do in the semifinal match.

The turning point came when the score was 20-18 in the first game. In her bid to finish off the game, Wang leaped into the air and unleashed a blistering smash from the baseline but landed awkwardly and injured her left knee in the process.

She bandaged her knee and took the court for the second game but conceded after just one point, much to the delight of the Indian spectators and IOA officials who were present at the venue.

"Today my strategy was to engage her in long rallies and it did work to some extent. Yesterday also we had the same strategy, but it did not work. I should have tried something else and played my own game instead of trying to match her," Saina said.

"I had never won a match like this before. May be, the medal was written for me. I have always wanted an Olympic medal. I always wanted to see India's national flag going up at the podium," she said. The moment it was known that she was the bronze medal, Saina first waved at her coach P Gopichand, who was sitting on the coach's chair, and then acknowledged the cheers from the spectators, most of whom were Indians.

16. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    she never said that the chinese are scared of her and blah blah, after wang xin retired from the match saina was rather humble and expressed her sympathy for wang xin and said that she would have rather liked to win the medal by beating wang xin and if the match would have gone in three sets she probably would have beaten wang xin. and those who are showing proofs here should have watched saina's court side interview after the match rather than making stories here. some morons in this forum likes to accuse saina of being arrogant etc. but the thing is she's the one who has always shown the ability to beat the chinese players(does'nt mean that i am being disrespectful to chinese) at the highest level and she's only going to improve from hereon. accusing her of being arrogant will not change the facts and those who just have to say things can post as much as they wan't afterall the forum is not charging you for posting roubish so keep posting crap.. .!!!

17. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    I agree that she needs to come up with a better strategy against WYH. I dont think her strategy in SF was a failure but she was not able to apply it correctly. During the match, I saw the Saina was trying to keep WYH at the base line all the time. During that process she either committed unforced errors or was not able to hit the lob properly to clear WYH. As we all know how tall WYH is and those not-so-perfect lifts and clears were sitting ducks as WYH picked them for easy smash winners. As the match progressed Saina began to make better lobs but by that time it was too late. So the strategy of keeping WYH at baseline and engaging her in long rallies back fired. There is nothing wrong with strategy but if the execution is not perfect it can fail miserably and that too against a Chinese player it has to be inch perfect.

Saina needs to add strokes to her repertoire as she does not have the height and strokes needed to beat WYH which SJH and LXR possess. That is one of the reasons they were able to beat WYH.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Don't forget a really good player can also change strategy whenever necessary. He/she should be able to size up the situation and respond quickly with a better strategy. The chess game is played out physically on the court and it demands quick thinking and quality execution.

So with different strong opponents, one should expect to adopt different tactics and strategies to counteract them and it seems SN has still not found the solution against WYH whereas LXR has succeeded many times before.

As proven in the past a relatively short girl can still be a champion. Size is not everything.

19. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

LXR trains with WYH almost daily, so she knows her game and weakness in and out. They are also similar in height and reach. So she has an advantage here.

Anyway SN defeated LX recently, so she could do the same to WHY but she needs to be at her best.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It also means WYH knows LXR's game quite well, yet she succumbed so many times. Why?

SN might have beaten LXR the last time they met, but there is no guarantee that she will win again the next time against the latter who is better at adapting to the changing circumstances/conditions with new tactics and strategies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.