Shuttles made of goose feathers - a dilemma for vegetarians

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by StefanDO, Jun 19, 2012.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Im not trying to turn this thread into a philosophical debate but is it better for the goose to have some life than no life at all?

#21 diverdan, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

You have to keep in mind that the *goose is cooked* anyways (sorry for the idiom), so throwing away the feathers would be wasteful IMO. :)

3. bulutangkis1

bulutangkis1 Regular Member

Mindfields suggestion rocks..

Dear Stefan,

Respect u for keeping strong with ur vegetarian-ism,and i agree with what mindfields suggested. And since you are willing to pay a bit more for "synthetic goose-like feather", I'm sure there are coaches out there who are willing to coach you, using nylon. Don't let anyone stops you from enjoying badminton, badminton is larger than just the "shuttlecock". Gather people who are keen on the recreation, healthy aspect of the game and some likeminded friends, get organized, and wallaaa... you are on the roll. The serious side of the game will come naturally, who's to say, vegetarian badminton federation might not be far off. Good Luck

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    as being said by everyone, feather from feather shuttlecock is just by product from slaughter house

they are two different industry, it's not like they slaughter geese for their feather
    IMO, even if you don't buy the shuttlecock, it does not gonna affect how many geese and ducks slaughtered (while if you didn't eat their meat, yes you stopped one duck being slaughtered)

IMO it is ok to play with feather shuttlecock (with assumption above)

but at the end it is your choice
    you can form your own club, maybe 4-6 people who don't mind to play with nylon shuttlecock
    Yonex Mavis 2000 is good and the closest you can get to feather (even though still, feather is superior)

#24 Avenger, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    One has to have a more balanced perspective of an issue like this. One way to evaluate the impact of your own decision is to ask 'will my action save more goose or ducks from being slaughtered'?
    Also it can also be argued that some so called vegetarians are guilt of killing living things without realizing it.
    For example the Jains in India, being strict vegetarians, will not eat beansprouts, potatoes, garlic, onions, or eat at night because such actions kill lives such as organism. Beansprout is a living thing and eating them is considered murder to the Zains.
    Again, ask yourself this simple question : are you saving any thing, any life, any organism? Or is it some misguided utopia idealism?

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If one were to follow the Jains standard of being a vegetarian, then it becomes extremely ascetic but some may say this is the way vegetarians must aspire to.
    Jains do not wear shoes made from animal hides, do not walk until the way ahead is being swept clean with a broom lest they accidentally step on microorganisms or insects/ants and kill them, wear masks on their faces in case they harm flying insects or other microorganisms through swallowing. The list goes on.
    Now, does this make sense? The answer, my friends, is up to you and your conscience, provided always that you gather enough information to form an informed judgement. There is no right or wrong answer.

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hello Stefan, when we met next time @RUB we can exchange about this issue. I'm a vegetarian too. Maybe see you on sunday. Joerg.

8. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    With respect to whether I save a goose's life if I don't buy feather shuttles as compared to if I don't buy goose meat: I guess it's the amount that matters. If you buy a tiny bit of meat at a supermarket maybe twice a week or so, I doubt the supermarket would buy more meat (because they calculate in much larger quantities). It's the same with feather shuttles I guess. However, if *everyone* follows this argumentation, things get different: Many people buying meat cause the supermarket to buy more meat or at least not reduce the amount. Many people buying feather shuttles support the industry which pays slaughter houses for the feathers, which indirectly supports slaughter houses. As I want to live with principles which don't support the slaughter industry if shared by everyone, I can't live that way. So I will have to play with nylon shuttles. Actually I don't find them so bad anyway (thanks by the way for the Mavis 2000 tip). To me it rather looks like many of those who complain about nylon shuttles, they underrate them because they are used to feather shuttles, so a big part of what they consider bad about nylon shuttles rather stems from the different feel and handling. But that's just a personal opinion.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I am also a non-meat eater but I have no problems with using goose feather shuttlecocks. Perhaps different people make decisions based on what information they have. Less information usually means more questionable decisions.
    I look at the cycle of life on a bigger scale. Since all living things, including plants, vegetables, animals, fishes, and even bacteria are all related and exist in an eco-system that sustains itself I would think twice before taking upon myself to try to change such a highly evolved system that has sustained life on earth.
    Do you know that platics can do more harm to the eco-system than feathers? Plastics are non biodegradable whereas feathers are organic material that biodegrades that will eventually serve as natural fertilizers for mother earth. Plastics also use disproportionately more energy to make, fouling the environment.
    Also the supply of feathers hugely outnumber its demand, even if the whole world were to use feather shuttlecocks. The excess is being dumped as rubbish which biodegrades and become natural fertilizers later. Contrast this with plastics with its negative impact on mother earth, from its production to its throw-away stage.
    Now, would you want to come up with something to stop sharks from eating their daily meals, which also are living things, no different from geese or ducks?

10. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

While I agree with you regarding recycling of plastics vs. feathers, not directly or indirectly supporting animal killing industry is of higher priority to me.
    I wouldn't compare our situation with that of sharks or other animals who can hardly resist their instinct which kind of dictates killing other animals in order to survive.
    Anyway, I think I've commented enough on this issue - I have no further points...

11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    actually, I have a very funny theory with your point of view regarding indirectly supporting slaughter house
    slaughter house get their machine and knife from factory
    in this case, the factory support the slaughter house indirectly (by providing them tools to kill)
    better not to use those factory made machine and knifes since they support the slaughter house

also, the poultry where they kept thee chicken and all usually use wood as material
    these woods come from factory which usually also build other thing such as chair, table, door, etc
    since the wood factory indirectly support the slaughter house, you should be careful when buying wood product

also supermarket that selling the meat obviously support the slaughter house, you might want not to shop into this supermarket again (so they got less money to support the slaughter house)

oh yeah, don't forget duck, pig (gelatin), and cow fat is used in many product such as sweets, medicine, cosmetic, yogurt, etc
    that's a lot of products you should avoid

well, no need to take this post seriously, I just want to make a point, there should be a limit for everything

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

StefanDo, how true are you to your principle of not wanting to support the slaughtering of animals for food consumption? Or are you merely against the unnecessary slaughter of animals that are not intended as food for consumption?
    If you want to avoid being accused of double standard, you should also not wear shoes, use wallets, drive any car, wear gloves or clothes, or use any badminton rackets that use any animal hide. Now, how 'clean' are you on this.
    Perhaps you are still very young. As one gets older one gathers more information to form a better and more balanced decision.

13. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

Of course you have to draw a line somewhere - so it's hard to always prevent support of industries which indirectly support killing of animals. However, there are cases which are a lot more obvious than others (like consumption of meat). I just try to live by my principles. Regarding products which are somehow associated with animal killing industry, I always try to go for alternative products, but it's a question of availability. Like when I started being vegetarian (about 19 years ago), I couldn't find gelatin-free yoghurt at the supermarket, however I didn't want to forego yoghurts, so I bought them (while being angry that they put gelatin into it, which is not necessary at all, and I'm happy that today yoghurts are often gelatin-free). So you may say I'm not strict, and it's more or less true in this case, but in practice it's just not easy to avoid indirectly supporting animal killing industry (as has already been shown by many examples in previous postings). Anyway, like I said, if alternative products are available at allowable expenses, I go for them. This brings me back to shuttles - if no plastic shuttles were available, I guess I'd go for feather shuttles, because I love badminton (but as with the yoghurts, I'd be angry if no plastic shuttles were available). I'm not strict? Right - but better than not caring at all I guess...

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Almost all supermarket yogurts are rubbish, if you are a yogurt enthusiast. The best and most healthy yogurts are self make and it is so easy and so much cheaper. Gelatin in yogurt? That is a no no in yogurt.
    Personally I make yogurt myself in a two-liter container each time. You can control its taste with different types of milk, from goat to cow or buffalo. You can also control its viscosity by using some common sense instead of that silly supermarket gelatin type. Viscosity can be made thicker and firmer with a thousand and one ways. If your milk medium is fresh milk then add a little powder milk to thicken. Or you can use a sea weed called aga aga to do the same job.
    However, yogurt is made from milk that comes from animals. Although the cows or goats are not slaughtered these milk are not strictly vegetarian.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hi Stefan,

did you know that the cork base is covered with leather? I think leather is a material that supports the slaughter industry indirectly, too.
    What do you think about this fact?
    If you would be consequent you should boycott leather, too. I have seen your shoes and they are made of leather. So the story will end up with you who will never ever play badminton anymore? :p What about your blanket?
    Maybe this video is interesting for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiAdro2SwvU&feature=relmfu
    I think as vegetarian it's difficult to judge which amount of animal products is critical and how much boosts the slaughtered animals.
    We all don't know if everyone don't use leather and feathers will this effect the amount of killed animals? Meat is the main reason for killing animals but is it right to use these byproducts? It's difficult too make the right decision.
    For myself I try too avoid leather but not to 100%. It's nearly impossible to find badminton shoes without leather applications.
    I made the decision to use feathers, cause I think it won't effect killing geese. As vegetarian everyone must build his own borders of consumption.

Ah, what about my beer? ;) Maybe you can bring one bottle to next session. :)

#35 ucantseeme, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Vegetarian vs vegan? ;)

17. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I think the topic has run it's course.

Stephan already has his answer and there is no point in trying to convince him of different points of views. I'm sure he has done his research prior and with our feedback has made a decision. In the end if badminton does not fit someones beliefs/religion then they have 2 options.

Deal with it (and by that I mean just use what you can or accept it for what it is) or just don't do it.

He can still play with plastic, just won't be able to play serious tournaments. Not everyone has aspirations of playing in competitions and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Or he can just not play badminton and pick up something like barefoot running (btw I run in vibrams :) )

My issue with plastic is consistency of flight. They can get damaged as well and then you just throw away plastic at that point. You can also get a hand full of them and they don't come close to flying the same way. That and it makes a "thunk" sound ;). Oh... and it almost messed up my shoulder once :mad:

#37 dimcorner, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  18. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

Are you sure that they use genuine leather and not PU leather as in their shoes? As I was looking for new badminton shoes I wrote several manufacturers like Asics, Adidas and Yonex and they told me that they only use synthetic leather in their shoes.

About the slaughter house subject: I'm very sure that if nobody would use duck/goose feather the price for duck/goose meat would increase. e.g. they get 10% of their money for the feathers ans 90% for the meat. If nobody would use the feather, they would have to get 100% from the meat so it would get pricier. That means that ppl. could afford less meat, and that again means that less animals get killed. Thats the same reason why I dont use leather products.

Sorry for reopening this old thread, but I really couldnt get any useful infos bout the shuttlecock cork, maybe you know more?

19. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i wonder if PITA will eventually jump in and say it's in human to make shuttles out of duck/goose feather, just wondering?

20. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Why would someone want to eat a shuttle anyway? There's not much meat on one :)