New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. yumyumtaco

yumyumtaco Regular Member

My AT900T is 3UG4 compared to the MX80 which is 4UG2. The bp is also different with AT900T at 300mm and MX80 at 290mm but if you just hold it they feel about the same.

Anyways...

Power At900T:9/10 MX80:9/10
    Speed At900T:8/10 MX80:10/10
    Control At900T:9/10 MX80:8.5/10

The two racquets are both pretty powerful but I think it takes a bit more effort to get power out of the MX80. The speed on the MX80 was amazing in my opinion though the AT900T wasn't slow at all. I felt I had more control with the AT900T probably because it has a bigger sweet spot.

#901 yumyumtaco, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Thanks for the comparison :)

3. yumyumtaco

yumyumtaco Regular Member

No problem.

MX80 is my go-to racket now. I love it!

4. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Aha! Finally!! My MX80 is also longer than my other rackets by about 3-4mm. However, gripped with RKEP ELITE with BG66UM my BP is around 297mm. So it's a bit head heavier than yours. 3UG5(Yonex scale) here. I know some users whose BP is above 300mm!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Naim

what colour elite are you using? white?
    that would be the lightest, so it'll give you head heaviest

6. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Yes White. Indeed the lightest colour. Switched back to Yonex Super Grap (yellow) now and it's roughly the same BP still.

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I'm really not convinced that changing the grip makes significant difference to the effectiveness or dynamics of the racket. Not sure if you've been reading my recent posts, but I've been writing about this a lot. Basically since your hand is the "fulcrum" of the racket when you swing it, changing the weight (by a few grams here and there) at this point is going to be negligible. If you put extra weight further away from the fulcrum (eg. on the head of the racket), then this would contribute much more significantly and make the racket effectively more head heavy.

For example, my apacs Lethal 70 has a balance point of more than 310mm with strings and with original grip. When I remove the original grip and add a significantly thicker grip, the balance point obviously changes, but when I swing the racket, it still feels just as head heavy.

Anyway, just a word of caution in case someone dwells on balance point changes from grip changes.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^^
    In a way, the hand is the fulcrum but in a way, it's not.
    Because the whole hand is not static during the stroke, it is thrown forward and a few grams does make a difference.
    It can make the difference between a 3U racket vs a 4U racket.

But is also depends on your sensitivity to minute changes in weight and bp...
    I can sense a 5mm bp shift, and Naim can sense a 2g difference in weight with his bare hands! :D

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I agree with this 100%

I've also measured the exact weights of factory, over and replacement grips, and generally the difference is only 2g, give or take. Factor in your statement above and it's so insignificant it's not even worth mentioning.

This is why you cannot just state BP and weight and expect to know how a racket is going to play out on the court!

You can have two rackets with the exact same BP and weight, and one will carry it's weight evenly, and the other carry it's weight in the head, and they'll feel and play completely differently.

In the same way head heavier rackets flex the shaft more than less head heavy ones, so if you have two rackets that are the same stiffness but one is head heavier, the head heavier one will feel more flexible.

This is why we have these discussions, because numbers don't tell you the whole story! :)

10. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    This is true. I did a blind test at least 5 times and I guessed which was the red RKEP grip and which was white each and every time. Not that I use cocaine or anything (don't drink, smoke or do drugs), but even 2g must be noticeable. Don't drug users buy cocaine and other such drugs in grams?

That said, just because I could tell the difference as to which grip was heavier, doesn't mean I'd notice a difference in real world use.

11. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

Just noticed that I cant get 4U in malaysia. Would the 3U one suffice instead ? LOL !

12. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

I just called AJ Racket (Puchong, Malaysia) and they said that the MX-80 is sold out.. and they actually sold it at RM800!!! WTH, these guys are over-pricing this racket! My goodness, if I'm not mistaken an MX-80 should cost <RM500.. Just a heads up from a observant badminton shopper..

13. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    Malaysia RRP published by FAR EAST if i not mistaken was RM799.00 same as RRP for Yonex..Voltric 80 which means they sell it without discount.. and gosh its still sold out....

14. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    Victor increase the price of their racket in Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia if I'm not wrong

15. jebatdurhaka

jebatdurhaka Regular Member

i went to AJ .. more than a week ago. saw MX80 .. and talked to the lady tauke. it was selling at RM600 .. with grip n string .. i didn't take it .. but i'm pretty sure on the price !!

mmmm .. r u sure they r selling at RM800? :confused:

16. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    yesterday I just broke the string (VS850 gauge 0.68 mm @t 28 lbs) on my MX80 after defending from an incredible powerful smash from a 22 years old kid
    my MX80 is 3U G2 weight 85.4 grams, string 2.8 grams and overgrip Yonex Super Grab 5.7 grams
    total weight is 93.9 grams

17. Densha

Densha Regular Member

Student
    how much time has your VS 850 last ? Does it lose its tension quickly as many people have said. thanks

18. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    I don't know about tension loss
    all I know that it only last in about two months ... :(
    I only play twice a week maximum
    sometimes only once a week
    and lately beside MX80 I also use SW37

#918 jump-smash, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  19. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

Wow the grip adds 5.7g ? Thats alot, now i wonder my 3U voltric weighs how much .. Prolly 94g too no wonder so heavy .

20. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Must be very incredibly powerful :D. I thought the string normally breaks from a harder stroke than defense.