Yonex Arcsaber 5

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kakinami, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    still dont quite understand. so is it a good thing for weaker player with arc7?

arc10 and 5 which 1 stiffer?

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well Arc7 is easy to use. It's realy player preference.

As I mentinoed earlier, I will be able to try out the Arc 5 this weekend.

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Flexing the shaft does does is not a good reference because it does not reflect how it performs in gameplay. It's more like me saying saying, oh I swing the racket which is "head heavy", but I feel that it is not. It does not change the facts.

Try it in actual gameplay. Arc10 is more powerful than Arc7.

#43 Matt, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I've tried the 10 and didn't like it much so it does come down to player's preference at times. I've been wanting but haven't had the chance to try the 7 yet but I hear really good things about it.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Arc7 is effective using wrist power. Arc10 is effective using leverage.

6. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    if so, then thats probably why I don't like the 10. i shall go try it out soon :)

thanks matt

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I finally tried the Arc5.

This racket is more stiff than Arc7 for sure. It took me sometime getting used tryng to get the power down as I wasn't use to the stiffness. After a while, I sort of figured it out and doing powerful smashes and drives with it, more deadly than Arc7. I can say it's pretty responsive if for players with quick wrists.

I will play it more tommorow since I have not fully gotten use to the racket since at times, I swapped back to my Arc7.

8. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    btw are the shaft length or the handle length of arc5 same as arc7 and 10?

and is arc7 and arc10 have same shaft and handle length?

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Shafe/Handle length is the same on all the three racket.

10. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

i wonder if the Z slash's smaller frame will be used in any other rackets

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Overall, I'll stick with my 7 even thou 5 is ok to me. The feel is somewhat close to my liking to the 7.

12. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    is arc5 stiffer than arc10?

13. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

AS5 is AS stiff as AS10

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    To add, the Arc 5 does seem to have a hollow feeling to it.

15. nis270r

nis270r Regular Member

first try on ArcSaber 5

got the racket yesterday, Nano 95 string with 25 lbs (3UG4), my old rackets are: cabonex 30 muscle, Arcsaber 7, old school carbonex 20 and 8. (used in Hong Kong)

Just wanted to give you a little background and my skill level so you know what to expect - I've been playing for about 10 years since I was 8 years old, made it to my high school team as a double player in Hong Kong, completely stopped playing when i moved to US at age of 18, now i'm 32, started playing again in April this year.

First impression - racket is stiff enough to my standard, feel about the same stiffness as the carbonex 30 (BG 65 with 22 lbs), definitely stiffer than ArcSaber 7. Slightly heavier than the Arc Saber Z-Slash, but Z-Slash is on the lighter side in terms of my own standard.

Quality - Paint looks average, though the color is very attractive, black, silver and purple, i notice couple of blemishes around the T-joint of the racket from paint residue (or something else), seems to me the quality is not as nice as arcsaber 7 or other high end yonex rackets (you get what you paid for i guess, i paid $145 with the NG95)

Performance - smashes feels very solid, right on the spot and relatively less vibration than other stiff rackets i've played with, especially comparing to carbonex 30, yonex did advertise this point. Racket is even balance so it takes a little more effort for me to do full court clear and backhand lift, other than that i like this racket, just need more playing time to get used to and adjust my timing.

I'm not so much of an aggressive, heavy smasher type player, so this racket serves its purpose, easy maneuver, good enough pop on smashes when it needs to, great control on net push and drop shot.

** hope the above helps, any suggestion, advice, questions are all welcomed. This is strictly my point of view from 2 hours of playing.

#55 nis270r, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  16. gazzatan

gazzatan Regular Member

confusion re: stiffness of arc5

guys ive been navigating this forum for some time but this is my first post. i'm having some trouble understanding the stiffness of the arc5 relative to the others in the arcsaber series and i'd like to seek some clarity with those who have had some experience with the arc5, 7 & 10.

I was in queensway today, and was fairly surprised to see the arc5 selling. i thought it would take a tad more time to reach our shores. anyhow what confuses me is that the salesreps from the various shops have a different story to tell about the stiffness of the arc5.

Some tell me that the arc10 is the stiffest, followed by the 5, then 7.
    Others say that arc10 is stiffest, followed by 7, then 5.
    Whilst others says arc10 and 5 are the same, and 7 least stiff.

I've had a feel for the racquets, and unless my hands were playing tricks on me the 10 was the stiffest. I couldnt quite tell the difference btn the 5 and 7 though.

I was prepared to purchase the 10, but my fear has always been that it may be a tad too stiff for me. The 7 on the other hand too flexible - so if the 5 is in between the 10 and 7 then perhaps the 5 is the way to go for me.

I would find it a little strange if the 10 and 5 are the same wrt stiffness: why would yonex make 2 racquets in the same series with the same stiffness and yet no other distinguishing differences.

Would love to hear from whoever has experience with the racquets. thanx!

17. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

OK, Yonex rate it's racquet on overall stiffness. What does that mean is how the racquet feel when it is strung. How stiff the entire racquet feel. Not just the shaft. Often time, people just go into a shop, get a empty frame and try to bend the racquet to see how stiff it is. In most of case, you get a fairly good read of the racquet stiffness. In some cases, such as the ARC10 vs ARC5 stiffness, it become not very clear. Because the ARC5 shaft is almost if not same stiffness as ARC10. However, the head is not as stiff. So combination of the 2 will produce different feeling for different player. From my tech source, (when the new chart comes out) the ARC5 will be little less stiff vs ARC10.

18. gazzatan

gazzatan Regular Member

appreciate that silentheart.

so am i correct to say that btn the arc 5, 7 & 10 there is little distinguishable difference in the stiffness of the shaft, the difference being the stiffness in the head.

Looking at where they placed on the hold-repulsion axis. Arc 7 is at the extreme end of hold, while arc 10 is a little less on the 'hold' - giving arc 7 more control, and arc 10 a little less control but more power?

I'm just wondering where arc 5 will place on this axis. Will it have more hold compared to the 7 and 10?

19. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    is the arc7,5 and 10 have the same feeling rite?

is the arc7 and 5 have the same durability in frame, shaft and paint work ?

which is more head heavy arc7 or5?

20. nis270r

nis270r Regular Member

No, as gazzatan and silenheart previously discussed, Arc 10 should be the stiffest and more powerful out of all 3, Arc 7 has a medium flex, and Arc 5 is in between Arc 10 and Arc 7, as far as durability in frame/shaft and paint work, i would have to say Arc 10 and 7 has better quality, but don't take my word fully into account, as everyone has their own judgment and experience, but overall they're all pretty good quality, Arc 5 and 10 should be slighty more head heavy and hence more powerful smashes, Arc 7 is balanced which provides better control and easier to maneuver on defense , and i believe the theory "you get what you paid for", as I personally own Arc 7 and 5, and Arc 5 paint quality is slightly under par in terms of finish and details level (as my post originally stated), so depending on your skill level, style of play and aggressiveness, I'm sure you'll find the right one, and all 3 rackets are well made.

#60 nis270r, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010