10 Stringing Questions - I dont know where to look for answers.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Tim Tam, May 13, 2014.

1. Tim Tam

Tim Tam Regular Member

Student
    Wanted to ask if anyone can give me links to some of these questions or possible answers to them. Thanks

1. After mounting a racket quite well, after pulling 1st&2nd Mains the racket stretches by it self, to tighten to the stretched place or continue stringing other mains, or it depends on machine?

2. While stringing a racket the 4 & 8 oclock mounts seem to be very tight on the racket and when getting further up 10 & 2 oclock when getting more tension the racket gets smaller and mounts aren't touching. Do I loosen and tighten the mounts adjustingly?

3. Does prestretch only stretch the string? so if I strung 26/26PS(10%) does that mean the racket is still holding 26/28.6? or 26/26 and does prestretch affect the racket taking particular tension?

4. When stringing bottom up crosses and at the last 2 strings is it a problem to skip to the last cross and then come back for the last tie off on the 2nd last string? Will this affect the rkt? I know it voids warranty.

5. When tying finishing knots should extra tension be added (how much) or just use prestretch? What affects the racket and what doesn't?

6. When pulling the last two mains with yonex pattern or in general skipping to the last main then coming down the skipped main? Does pulling those to strings together damage or affect anything? can you double pull those last 2 mains? because what help is there in clamping the last to mains?

7. When stringing 1 piece and string crosses at a different tension eg 26/28 will the string leading to the mains be dangerous to pull at the extra tension and affect the rkt because the mains are being pulled tighter.

8. Using a fixed clamp vs using flying clamp to hold string when stringing victor pattern. When holding that string to free fixed clamps which is dangerous or safer.

9. If racket does not spin across the WISE2086, will there be any harm in raising the racket and side mounts higher to make the racket spin over? and the top and bottom mounts will follow. Does the racket need to sit flush on the top and bottom mounting?

10. Can putting over sized grommets into a racket, affect the rkt?

Hope people can send me to links or maybe discuss THX

2. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

I'm sorry to say this, and I really do want to some of your questions
    but I don't understand the descriptions you have for you problem
    e.g. 9.If racket does not spin across the WISE2086, will there be any harm in raising the racket and side mounts higher to make the racket spin over? and the top and bottom mounts will follow. Does the racket need to sit flush on the top and bottom mounting?

What do you mean spin across?
    I can however answer number 10
    Yes, most certainly, if the grommet is bigger than the hole, you have to force it in, and forcing something on a racket is never a good idea.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    like mentioned above. it is hard to understand your English. i will try to attempt to guess what you mean anyway.

the main tightening should compress instead of stretch the racket. so what you said do not make sense. if you mean by compress, then your "quite well" is not good enough. if there is significant 6/12 o'clock movement in your machine, that means your machine is not strong enough. a way to compensate is to stretch the racket slightly by moving the 6/12 o'clock support away from each other.

tightening the 10/2 o'clock at the point do not serve any purpose anymore.

do you mean you only prestretch the cross string? why? you should prestretch both mains and cross.

even with prestretch, the final tension will be 26lbs. 28.6lbs is only temporary.

that's not a problem. some of the pattern (victor i believe) do this.

you can add tension if you want. strings at that location don't contribute much to the string job anyway.

no. there is a significant tension loss going through 2 grommet holes. not recommended.

do not matter. the 2lbs tension will be absorbed by the friction over the grommet holes anyway.

it is fine to use it. but make sure you re-tighten that string when you come back to it.

you are taking the risk that the support will weaken or slip out of the side arms.

if you try to jam something big into a smaller hole, it will damage the hole for sure.

4. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    9) He's referring to 360 degree racket rotation when stringing a racket. Technically there is no harm if the racket does not have 360 degree rotation. In an ideal world you want the string tensioned on the wise to not have an angle when being pulled. The diabolo is a way to get around this when should you decide to raise the mounts or the turntable so that the racket sits just above the tensioner.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think this refers to the bottom of the racket separating from the 6 o'clock support after the first two mains are pulled. This is quite common in cheaper machines, and especially if load spreaders are used.

Don't continue to string the racket in this "slipped" arrangement; tighten the 6 o'clock support again (until it's just touching the racket) before you carry on. As kwun says, pre-stretching the frame by 2 mm or so will minimize this.

6. Tim Tam

Tim Tam Regular Member

Student
    Thanks everyone for you answers and discussion.
    Sorry my explanation is unclear.
    Just further questions.

2."tightening the 10/2 o'clock at the point do not serve any purpose anymore."

I see the supports are not touching the racket, so it is safe to keeping stringing crosses left and right with the racket not being supported at those 2 points?

3. "do you mean you only prestretch the cross string? why? you should prestretch both mains and cross."

I prestretch the crosses because people would like rkt strung 24/24 so i was thinking about adding 2pounds(or the 10% prestretch) prestretch to compensate for the rkt shape so therefore my own 24/24PS.

5."you can add tension if you want. strings at that location don't contribute much to the string job anyway."

I would like to also ask (again) is it dangerous to add tension when tying the knots for mains & crosses so the rkt stretches alot when 3lbs of tension is added. The rkt looks extreme warped when pulling extra lbs for knots. So basically adding tension on the last string being pulled doesnt loose tension for the string job as the grommets previously are holding the tension already.

6."no. there is a significant tension loss going through 2 grommet holes. not recommended."

I understand the tension loss part. Asking my Q again : When pulling the 2nd last main with the yonex pattern, when it is tensioned and then clamped the tension is only held my one grommet at the bottom and then when the final main is tensioned and knot to be tired it then presses against the top grommet, so is tensioning the 2nd last main on YY pattern useful as no one hits the shuttle on the side there.(Sorry if this isnt clear again.)

8."it is fine to use it. but make sure you re-tighten that string when you come back to it."

My Q was meant to be, using a starting clamp to hold the string vs using flying clamp to hold the string to free the fixed clamps. Is there a disadvantage for the starting clamp or flying.(I understand needing to re-tension the string.)

9."you are taking the risk that the support will weaken or slip out of the side arms."

The supports i have can be tighten from the bottom and i can raise and lower the supports with original things it came with.

If i post a photo of my machine then all will be clear.

Just to added and ask, when i watch Kwun's videos when stringing rackets, how come when the fixed clamps are being clamped to the string it it "clamp string first then lock base" and not "Lock base so the clamp is in line then clamp string" (not sure if you know what i mean) but only because when you clamp string first then lock base when you un tension the string the fixed clamp is not inline with the string and has moved, not sure if this affects the string job, but wanted to know if it makes a difference.