Zulfadli Zulkifli

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Dec 18, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let's hope that Zulfadli Zulkifli can win the 2011 WJC Singles title

Do you two have any records of best results for Malaysian Singles players at past World Junior Championships? Let's hope that Zulfadli Zulkifli can win the 2011 title in Taiwan (Oct 28-Nov 6).

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

best result was iskandar as runner up in 2009. if not mistaken,arif, loh ws didnt reach finals

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wjc ms finalist was yeoh kay bin and iskandar

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hope that Zulfadli Zulkifli can continue to perform well

Thanks for the info. :):):)

Somehow, Iskandar and Yeoh Kay Bin could not continue with their good performance.

Hope that Zulfadli Zulkifli can continue to perform well.

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Congratulations to Zulfadli for becoming Malaysia's first ever Asian Junior Champion!

Although Viktor Axelsen would probably be far ahead of the other juniors due to his exposure on the scene, I hope that Zulfadli can at least go all the way and meet him for WJC. Still needs more consistency, he was superb in the individual event but just average in the team event. But I rather have him lose in team;win in individual than win in team; lose in individual :p

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Right now, he stills need to maintain his attitude and performance on court;)
    It would be interesting to see this guy clash with Viktor Axelsen in the WJC;)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Congratulations to Zulfadli Zulkifli for being Asia's best junior.

It is noteworthy that hero ZZ (macam Zoro :D) managed to do it almost all on his own, with only the help of his dad who may not even be a qualified coach?

What it means is that ZZ must have worked very hard "independently". So with proper guidance and training support, he should be able to do better.

My wish is for ZZ to win the World title and indeed Viktor Axelsen of Denmark must be his strongest opponent. VA has been very impressive during the S'pore Open and he even beat veteran Wong CH and Bao CL. On top of this, the legendary Morton Frost has been seen by his side during the SO.

#87 Loh, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    VA is many rungs higher.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That means ZZ has to work very much harder during the interim period before the WJC. Let's hope he gets extra help.

Let's give him all the encouragement and moral support at least.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yeah... You have my moral support.

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    ZZ father is a qualified coach alright :)

He is an ex national player in the Thomas cup team in the 80's.

And yes he needs more than a coach to help him :)

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Zulfadli Zulkifli is ranked 146 positions below Viktor Axelsen

Hope that Zulfadli Zulkifli can get more experience by participating in more tournaments. I just had a look at their latest BWF rankings (2011 Week 27) released on 07-July-2011.

Over the last 12 months;

Viktor Axelsen has participated in 13 tournaments and he is now ranked at No.34.

Zulfadli Zulkifli has participated in 7 tournaments and is ranked at a low No.180.

Source: http://bwfcontent.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/category.aspx?id=2360&category=472&p=1&ps=50

#92 chris-ccc, Jul 11, 2011
  13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Will Zulfadli Zulkifli’s feat show he can be an able replacement for Lee Chong Wei?

Will Zulfadli Zulkifli’s feat show he can be an able replacement for Lee Chong Wei?

Zulfadli’s achievement in India has in a way raised concern over the junior programme in BAM – especially in the Singles department.

He has been successful when many other BAM shuttlers had failed. Over the last few years, three shuttlers – Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin and Loh Wei Sheng froze in their respective final appearances and settled for the runner-up spots in the Asian junior meet.

The success of an outsider surely raises many questions on what has been happening inside BJSS.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/7/11/sports/9076365&sec=sports

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

KUALA LUMPUR: Three points were made clear when youngster Zulfadli Zulkifli accomplished the historic feat of becoming Malaysia’s first boy’s singles badminton champion at the Asian Junior Championships in Lucknow, India on Sunday.

Firstly, his breakthrough showed that there are talents in Malaysia to take over the mantle from world No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei, who plans to slow down after the London Olympic Games next year.

Yesterday, the 18-year-old Zulfadli raised a glimmer of hope for a better future in the singles department when he beat India’s Verma Sameer 21-15, 21-17 to end Malaysia’s agonising 14-year wait for the elusive title.

He has put himself as one of the strong contenders to become the country’s first singles champion at the World Junior Championships, which will be held in Taiwan in October.

China’s current stars like Lin Dan, Chen Jin, Chen Long and South Korea’s Park Sung-hwan all went on to have successful senior careers after winning the Asian junior title and hopes are high for Zulfadli to follow suit.

With proper guidance and grooming Zulfadli can be Malaysia’s flag bearer in all major tournaments leading to the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil .

“This is a great start for me. I hope to achieve more good results. I still have a long way to go but I am determined to work hard in my mission to become the country’s top player” said Zulfadli.

Secondly, Zulfadli’s win is also seen as a big boost for independent shuttlers and clubs. Clubs and private badminton academies will now be more motivated to continue with their efforts to produce champions to complement the work done by the Bad*min*ton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

The lanky Zulfadli’s win is unique in a way because he did not come through the BAM’s centralised training system. In fact, he benefited mainly from his father Zulkifli Sidek’s personal coaching and also due to some short stints with state teams. He was also lucky that KL Rackets (KLRC) funded him for local and international tournaments.

His breakthrough certainly gives hope to those aspiring shuttlers who had failed to make the yearly selection into the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS), where the BAM’s best juniors are housed.

Finally, Zulfadli’s achievement in India has in a way raised concern over the junior programme in BAM – especially in the singles department.

He has been successful when many other BAM shuttlers had failed. Over the last few years, three shuttlers – Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin and Loh Wei Sheng froze in their respective final appearances and settled for the runner-up spots in the Asian junior meet.

The success of an outsider surely raises many questions on what has been happening inside BJSS.

Do they have the right coaches to groom the singles players? Are the right singles players selected into the BJSS? Are the international exposures enough for the juniors in BJSS to toughen them up mentally? What gets priority in BJSS – studies or sports?

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I read that his dad is another Sidek?

If so, and with his background as ex-Thomas cupper, he would have the experience and skill to impart to ZZ.
    Although KLRC is helping in his training, a much stronger and more extensive network like BAM would be able to give ZZ an extra punch. In any case, BAM has sung high praises of him as a suitable replacement for LCW.

ZZ is now carrying quite a heavy "load" on his tender shoulders and he should welcome whatever help that he can get from BAM, apart from KLRC. But it seems he has the passion and commitment to improve further, indeed a necessary ingredient to become a champion.

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday July 12, 2011
    Asian junior champion Zulfadli is very down to earth
    By KNG ZHENG GUAN
    SEPANG: A victorious Zulfadli Zulkifli returned home yesterday together with the rest of the national juniors after the Asian Junior badminton championship outing at Lucknow, India and is now looking forward to the Kedah Open which begins tomorrow at Alor Setar.
    The 18-year-old KL Rackets (KLRC) shuttler created history when he became the first Malaysian shuttler to win the boy’s singles title at the Asian Juniors which ended on Saturday.

Zulfadli’s achievements were made even more remarkable considering the fact that he was never a part of the Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) training system – having been coached personally by his father, Zulkifli Sidek, since he was four.
    Having done what other BAM shuttlers such as Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Iskandar Zulkarnian Zainuddin and Loh Wei Sheng have failed in the past, Zulfadli is certainly destined for greater heights in the future.
    But for now, the lanky Zulfadli, who described winning the Asian Juniors as a “dream come true” is keeping his feet firmly on the ground and will shift his focus to the Kedah Open.

“I’m very happy to have won because it was my last year as a junior and to create history for Malaysia makes it even sweeter. However I plan to stay focused and not get carried away because this is only the start,” said Zulfadli at the KLIA after being greeted with a warm welcome by his mother and two brothers yesterday morning.
    “It was a tremendous feat and I really have to thank my sponsors KLRC and Ashaway for supporting me along the way as well as my dad for being my coach. I’m also grateful to the BAM and the National Sports Council (NSC) for allowing me this opportunity.”

“Next on my agenda will be the Kedah Open but I do not have a specific target because I am quite tired after the hectic schedule. But I will be giving it my best nonetheless,” said Zulfadli.

Zulfadli will not have it easy at all in the Kedah Open as he is drawn to meet Iskandar in the first round.
    If he gets through he will have to face former national shuttler and KLRC sparring partner, Mohd Hafiz Hashim in the second round while a win could then pit him against Arif in the quarter-finals.
    World No.1 Lee Chong Wei who is the top seed and heavily favoured to win the Kedah Open without much difficulty is also drawn in Zulfadli’s half of the draw.

Meanwhile, BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai who was with the junior team in Lucknow spoke highly of Zulfadli’s talent and maintained that BAM would always welcome Zulfadli into their fold should he decide to take up on their offer.
    “Zulfadli is an amazing talent but he can be even better. Right now he should focus on the junior circuit first instead of over-exerting himself in other senior tournaments considering this is his last year and we would like to see him win the World Juniors too”
    “Throughout the few days in India, I have did my best on advising Zulfadli in the benefits of joining the BAM and now its all up to him whether he wants to join or not,” said Chin Chai.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/7/12/sports/9080841.asp&sec=sports

Advertising, lol this Ng CC. As for Zulfadli, personally I prefer he remains independent, just get another coach. WCH after he retires..., Misbun now is free ;);)

#95 eaglehelang, Jul 11, 2011
  16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    ZZ now can feel the pressure already. To replace DLCW maybe too high for him, at least at this moment.

17. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I agree with you, it's still such a long way to go and people are already talking about replacing DLCW. Let him focus on his own training. If he doesn't fall along the path of Arif then he should be okay.

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    That's why the less comparison the better. Let him improve at his own pace.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Ng Chin Chai is perhaps thinking that BAM is the best training ground for Zulfadli

I agree with you, eaglehelang.

I see 3 reasons;

(1) When Zulfadli is doing well, why change those who supported him (his sponsors; KLRC and Ashaway, and his coach: his dad)? IMHO, he should stay as he is, when things are working well for him.

(2) When Zulfadli stays as he is, he is showing a sign that he is thankful for KLRC and Ashaway and his dad, who have helped him all along.

(3) When Zulfadli remains independent, he is playing mainly for himself, as a player; without the extra pressure that he feels he has to play well for his teammates.

IMHO, Zulfadli, as an independent player, can later move to train in other countries, for example; in China, Indonesia, Denmark, etc......

Independent coaches do move from country to country to coach. It's about time that independent players get to move from country to country to be coached. This is not new; it's happening for other sports like in Squash, Tennis, Cycling, Soccer, Golf, etc, etc...

Ng Chin Chai is perhaps thinking that BAM is the best training ground to help Zulfadli to play better. But I am sure that many BCers won't agree with him. :p:p:p

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think there are limits to what KLRC and Ashaway and even his dad can do compared to what BAM can offer.

Don't forget ZZ is successful at only this junior level. The senior level which ZZ aspires to will be a different ball game. Other countries will also look after their own national interest and will not be easily predisposed to accept ZZ into their training programs.

We have mentioned VA as the young rising western star presumably well attended to by the Danish national badminton association and having Morten Frost on hand as coach. So are ZZ's Indian counterparts. It will be ill-advised of ZZ if he is not taking advantage of BAM's vast resources to help him achieve his goal. For the present there is not much pride or gain for ZZ to continue in his so-called "independent" ways. IMO he will not stand a chance against VA, the giant Viking.