Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I hope BAM can do the right things, start creating champions for the future instead of just creating another one hit wonders.

2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Talent Scouters are the missing link

BAM is blind, oblivious to the fact that they are lazy, wait for other coaches (LCW's first coach at BM) do the work, then they just get the name. They say you can't get the quality training that they give you elsewhere, you can't get the physiotherapy and sports science and nutrition they provide. They are a lazy bunch. All they do is use the $$$ to buy this and buy that. Who don't know how to use money including the drug addict down the street?

There are more than 5 thousand private badminton courts in the country and out of this, 50-60% of the owners also had the foresight to utilize the courts for coaching students. The owners are the coaches and the racket stringers themselves. The owners are the floor sweepers and the ones who pocket the cash. Their students are fantastic and eager to learn. These students are in their early Form 1s to 5s. In fact many former state players are also such owners, making a living out of a sport they love. And the country treats them like 'forgettable's drifting into oblivion.

BAM has been dependent on PE teachers who they themselves are sometimes relief teachers of chemistry, biology and history and what have you. In fact, if you know someone who know someone in the Ministry of Education, you are given a green light and a letter of approval to distribute flyers to thousands of students (this is just one school) stating that for a RM50 monthly fee, you can enroll in a badminton coaching programme. (real coaches out there, take note). I have seen these fat chubby coaches who can't even execute a backhand service teaching by the hundreds! So you see, there are many ways to grassroots mushrooming. It's just the quality. Back to the private badminton hall owners, I think this is where the 'talent scouter's should be sent. At least it's better than what Chin Chai is doing being a 'land surveyor' counting the tiles at BAM. Don't expect others to do all the work and you get the fame. It's time to get off your lazy chair and channel positive work towards grassroots levels, where it has always been. Malaysian football is going nowhere, hockey I sure don't care, ping pong tables are abundant is schools but nothing has come out of it, sepak takraw? pls. I've seen ministers playing badminton with a coy 'silat' style. Smack my forehead. It's time we go down to the docks and take a look at the fishing boat to catch the future salmons and tunas. Without these fishes, how can you expect a future again where we remember how our ex patron of badminton, Siti Hasmah, clapping her hands and jumping up and down like a choir mistress conducting 'Malaysia Boleh' in the true sense of the word?:D Now our current patron is only an emotionless, botox-filled, limelight and attention grabber.

#1182 Pakito, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    disagree
    we have talent.
    but not good enough on management

4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    It is about mindset, whether they want to do something for their country or doing something for themselves. The outcome will be very much different. System also play some roles on Athlete's success. Take a look at CBA.

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Correct, limsy. A lot of talents, but they are not being utilized 100%, due to the system and failure to inspect them on talents scouting. In my humble opinion, the best thing to do are improving talent scouting teams, persuading a lot of exhibition matches to discover those talents, creating a good system on training center so that every athletes will have equal opportunities for being trained, sharpen up, and sent overseas for competition, and last but not least the people's mindset on the governing bodies have to be changed, they have to put nation's best as their first and only priority, it is really crucial since they are the governing bodies.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online >
    Saturday December 8, 2012
    BAM cut ties with experienced coach Yap after 12 long years
    By Rajes PAul
    [​IMG]Out of a job: Yap Kim Hock is the first prominent local coach to be axed by BAM this year." height="170" width="200"> Out of a job: Yap Kim Hock is the first prominent local coach to be axed by BAM this year.
    KUALA LUMPUR: Former international Yap Kim Hock’s 12-year roller-coaster coaching career with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) is finally over.
    Kim Hock’s contract as the Bukit Jalil Sports School’s (BJSS) doubles chief coach has not been renewed.
    Kim Hock and BAM confirmed the news but neither would divulge the reasons for the decision, thus raising speculation that something must have gone wrong between the two parties.
    It could be either that BAM were not happy with his work ethics or his performance as a coach.
    This year, none of Kim Hock’s charges won any medals at the World Junior Championships. But then, none of the boys’ singles or girls’ singles players delivered at the world junior either.
    Could it then be linked to rumours about Kim Hock being frequently absent from training sessions?
    Kim Hock is the first prominent local coach to be axed this year. Another BJSS coach, Tan Shao Rong was the only other one whose contract was not extended.
    The decision also ended any hopes Kim Hock had of being one of the candidates for BAM’s national coaching director’s post.
    “I received a letter on Nov 30, stating that my two-year contract will not be renewed,” said Kim Hock, who has proven to be the most successful coach in BJSS after producing three straight world junior champions – Chooi Kah Ming-Ow Yao Han in 2009, Yao Han-Yew Hong Kheng (2010) and Nelson Heg Wei Keat-Teo Ee Yi (2011).
    Asked why his contract was not extended, Kim Hock said: “I better not make any statements now. Give me a few days to look into this matter.”
    The Muar-born Kim Hock, who won the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games silver medal with Cheah Soon Kit, began his coaching career in 2000 as the national doubles coach.
    His big break came in 2004 when he was named the chief coach but was demoted to BJSS doubles chief coach after the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/12/8/sports/12429726&sec=sports

There will be more drama

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well done
    looks like bjss will end up like bam.
    no more wjc.
    politic politic politic

8. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

2-3 months left the politics in BAM will be vanish once and for all only if the 'rakyat' willing to change the you know what...!!

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    bam is government related. change-the-you-know-what might start to change the environment a little bit,but the root of problem is still there

10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    The question now is who is replacing Yap Kim Hock ? :eek:

It's a good guess the sack could be related to the recent wjc and asian school case :D

#1190 pBmMalaysia, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    maybe ng chin cai,nadzmi,rashid sidek or any of them.
    more job more income
    hehe

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Economy can't be that bad la :D maybe the penang born kkl :) for ykh post :D.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    who is that kkl?:confused::D
    it isnt about economy.:p

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    I will let you guess :D but i will give you some tips!

He's over 50 and short but mind you, still explosive!

His shuttle feeding?

Mo tak teng lol

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well i isnt familiar with those state guy.:p

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    He's already coaching in BAM la ... many people hardly notice him or his work :p

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    which department?

18. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Men's double or single, not sure where they post him now :)

19. racquetor

racquetor Regular Member

racquetor
    Yap Kim Hock, Tan zhao Rong, Hendrawan, Koay Kar Lin, Zhou Ke Jian, Wong Mew Choo, will not continue to coach the BJSS juniors next year,.... some are still negotiating but the rest were too disappointed to continue

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Any idea what's the disappointment? :p