Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Eepak, I have heard you and I just hope more maid employers will follow your footsteps. :)

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Loh, for a start I never call them maids. It is always helper. To some it may not mean anything, but it does break the invisible line.

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Loh/Eepak: Our nanny (we call her nanny) story happened 17 yrs ago. We sponsored a Fillipino girl from Spore (she worked for one Spore family for 7 yrs straight) to Canada, primarily to look after our kids since we don't plan for daycare. Working hours was 8 am to 6 pm, Mon to Fri, Sat/Sun/holidays off plus 14 days vacation a year, plus health care and private room, full use of household stuff and ate with us. Monthly costs CAD$1100. She stayed with us for 3 years, fulfilled her immigration requirements, became landed immigrant and later citizen, and worked for another family for 3 years. She got married and has one child and stayed close to us. We keep in contact and are good friends. So how good is our nanny? Well, she is very close to our daugther, if you want to know how good your maid/nanny is, just ask the kids and they will tell you. Both our son and daugther are happy growing up with a nanny at home, that afford us the ease and comfort to concentrate on our work.
    Once when my wife visited her brothers in Spore, our nanny's previous Spore employer asked my wife to bring a gold bracelet to our nanny and that was years since she worked for them...for this gesture, our nanny must be very good to them for them to be so appreciative of her.
    One good turn deserves another, you treat others the way you want others to treat you with respect, two-way street. If you treat others with disrespect and abusive, you deserve a good kick in the butt, simple as that. In this lifetime, one may be the boss, how about a change in the next lifetime, you never know?;)

#83 OneToughBirdie, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Singapore has come a long way from its early depths of despair to what it is now. For this it earns the respect of the world.
    However, there is one area that Singapore is insensitive and even considered mean. You will notice that all of Singapore's closest neighbours, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand have testy relations with Singapore. Many educated Singaporeans know this but they dare not say it publicly. Of the 3 neighbours, Indonesia feels the most aggrieved. According to a Merrill Lynch research on Singapore, one third of Singapore's millionaires are Indonesians. Indonesia is highly corrupt with many of its corrupt bankers, businessmen, politicians taking their ill-gotten wealth out of Indonesia and Singapore is where they park their money.
    Maybe Singapore needs a re-examination of prioritizing its relationships with its closest neighbours as no. 1 and then followed by the US and Australia and China.
    The health care system in Singapore may be very efficient but if you are down with a major sickness, you can say goodbye to all your wealth because of its extremely high costs. In Hong Kong there is at least a safety net in which you can take advantage of the public health care system.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This is fantastic! :)
    Thanks for sharing your experience and I agree "one good deed deserves another". I hope maid/helper/nanny employers in Singapore can also learn to set a high standard. ;)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    On the Roof of the World - Singapore's First Ladies of Everest

Today
    21 May 2009

By Low Lin Fhoong

ARMED with a banner and placards, Republic Polytechnic students Atiqah Zaini and Renuka Singh were 3,519km away from Nepal, home to the world’s highest peak, Mount Everest.

But that didn’t stop the 19-year-olds from sharing the joy - and the thrill - felt by the first Singaporean women to conquer Everest.

At 3.45am yesterday (6am, Singapore time), Ms Jane Lee, Ms Esther Tan and Ms Lee Li Hui became the first Singaporean women to summit the 8,850 metre peak, located on the Nepal-China border.

The trio are part of the six-member National Association of Travel Agents Singapore (Natas) Singapore Women’s Everest Team. Ms Lee Li Hui, 27, was the first to reach the summit at 3.45am; followed by Ms Tan, 26, at 3.54am; and team coleader Jane Lee, 25, at 4.43am.

The three women could not be contacted yesterday as they were still descending the mountain. They were scheduled to reach the Everest base
    camp tomorrow.

But their trainer, Mr Lim Kim Boon, who is also their base camp manager, offered a glimpse of how the women felt to be on top of the world,
    literally. “They are very excited except that the scenery is not as good as they had expected. And they all were very, very happy
    and very thrilled,” Mr Lim told Channel NewsAsia.

News of the three women’s Everest feat spread quickly among the 30-strong Mountaineering Alps Club at Republic Polytechnic, where Ms Jane Lee works as an experiential education officer and Ms Lee Li Hui, an academic associate.

By 1pm, about 80 students and staff had gathered at the Republic Polytechnic Centre to celebrate the women’s triumph. On the roof of the world Singapore’s first ladies of Everest

“They’ve done the school proud, and the country proud by being the first women’s team here to summit Everest,” said Ms Singh, who is one of the 10 female members of the mountaineering club started by Ms Jane Lee last September.

Added Ms Atiqah, a second-year business computing student: “Jane’s our role
    model ... I want to be in her shoes one day, and conquer Everest.”

The long journey

The Everest team left for Kathmandu, Nepal, on March 21. They spent two months acclimatising and preparing for their summit attempt.

It had been a tough journey for the women, who witnessed avalanches on the
    Khumbu Icefall during their third acclimatisation cycle.

The team were also forced to postpone their first summit attempt on May 11 and 12 due to weather changes.

Last Friday, Ms Jane Lee’s team left the Everest Base Camp (5,300m) and began their push for the summit from Camp 4 (7,950m) at about 8.30pm on Tuesday, before reaching the top yesterday morning.

The second team of Joanne Soo and Lee Peh Gee are scheduled to leave Camp 4 tonight for their summit attempt.

Co-leader Sim Yi Hui, 27, who is suffering from chest pains, will not be making
    the attempt.

The team’s Everest success comes just five days short of the 11th anniversary of the first Singaporean ascent by Khoo Swee Chiow and Edwin Siew, who planted the flag in 1998.

The women’s triumph has been hailed as “another historic achievement”
    by their patron, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian
    Balakrishnan.

“They have once again demonstrated what our people can do against all odds
    when we set our minds to it ... I hope it will inspire many more Singaporeans to go forth and pursue their passions and achieve their goals,” Dr Balakrishnan said.

At the homes of the three women, the mood was not just one of joy but also relief.

Ms Jane Lee’s father, Mr Lee Hua Nam, told 938LIVE: “I was very emotional when I heard the news, because I feel that mountain climbing is too strenuous and difficult ... At least (now), she has a good result from it.”

Ms Tan’s elder sister, Alice, said: “My first thought when I heard the news was, thank God! ... We’re all elated and grateful that the training and hard work has paid off.”

The six women are expected to return to Singapore by June 15.

Channel News Asia
    23 May 2009

PM Lee congratulates Singapore Women's Everest Team

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has congratulated the members of the Singapore Women's Everest Team on their successful attempt to reach the highest peak in the world.

In a congratulatory message released Saturday, Mr Lee described it as a major milestone for Singaporean women and the local sporting fraternity.

He added he was deeply impressed by their meticulous preparation, determination, courage and tenacity.

Mr Lee also noted it took more than five years of hard work, in physical training, team building and fund raising in order for the team to make it to the top of the world's tallest mountain, 8,850 metres above sea level.

Two more members of the NATAS Singapore Women's Everest Team, 39-year-old Joanne Soo and 32-year-old Lee Peh Gee, scaled the summit of Mount Everest on Friday at 7.41am and 8.11am Singapore time respectively.

The women from the first Singapore team - Jane Lee, Lee Li Hui and Esther Tan - reached the peak on Wednesday and are currently back at Everest Base Camp.

Team leader Jane Lee said: "All of us are very pleased and very happy, and I'm extremely proud of the team. Having stood on the peak of Mt Everest is like a dream come true."

Attached Files:

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Singapore also won the Commonwealth Games table tennis Men and Women team title in Glasgow. Malaysia came second in the Women title.
    The recent meeting between the PMs of Malaysia and Singapore bodes well for better relations between the two neighbours. A new bridge will definitely increase people flow between the two countries.
    What can you say : 'Also Can' for one, 'Boleh' for the other.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think this is good looking forward! :D

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Apa Sherpa, a 49 year old Nepalese, holds the world record for the highest number of climbs on Mt Everest, 19 times in 20 years. His recent climb was last Wednesday May 21, and he has complained that climbers have left a lot of junk up there, of up to 5,000 kg. Mt Everest is also melting, suffering from global warming.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Most People Participating in a Badminton Rally

Guinness World Records
    23 May 2009

Singapore gains Guinness World Records recognition with Aviva World’s Largest Badminton Rally

Over 600 Singaporeans of all ages gathered at the Raffles City Mall today to set a new world record, the Aviva World’s Largest Badminton Rally.

Shaun Meadows, CEO of Aviva, Singapore and Hong Kong, kick started the day at 10.30am alongside badminton stars, Ronald Susilo, Kendrick Lee and Zarinah Abdullah. The longest rally was eventually achieved at 2.55pm with an amazing total of 96 different people each hitting a shot in one continuous rally. Youth players; Goh Noriko and Tan Kiah Hui; and national doubles players cum sisters, Vanessa and Samantha Neo were among the 96 people who set the record.

Official Guinness World Records adjudicator Rob Molloy was on site to verify this achievement.

(There was previously no such record. The results were verified by a representative from the Guinness Book of Records who was at the event.)

An account of the proceedings from a badminton fan:

My Badminton Game
    24 May 2009

By Tarzen

The Aviva World's Largest Rally was held yesterday on 23 May at the Raffles City atrium at 3rd level.

I went in the afternoon to check out the buzz in the badminton activities organised by Aviva. The event was to establish a Guiness record for the largest rally of badminton players and enthusiasts in Singapore. When I was there the venue was already packed with participants wearing yellow T-shirts sponsored by Aviva. The exciting event which started in the morning was still alive with more participants coming forward to join in.

When I arrived at the venue the place was buzzing with activities. The participants form a line, queuing to hit the shuttlecock to the other side of the court. The shuttle travels to and fro with each player hitting a stroke to keep the shuttle in the air for as long as possible. After returning the shot the player moves out and the next in line continues to rally. This goes on and on till the end of the event.

I joined the event with a racket borrowed from one of the organisers. I just enjoyed the fun with the young and some not-so-young players (like me). The event set a Guiness Record in badminton right here in Singapore.

All the participants were winners. Every participant got a goody bag. My bag includes a T-Shirt with the description 'I made history', a racket cover and a wrist band. And all in bright yellow color too.

So I was a part of the group that 'made history' in the Guiness World Records. Oh what a feeling! I had a memorable day! And so did all the other participants, I hope.

Attached Files:

#90 Loh, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  11. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I saw the rally in the news. I would be very nervous if I was one of the rally participants - what if I hit the shuttle on the frame and the shuttle go off the court, or if I hit it too hard and the receiver cannot retrieve it..... ahhhhh the agony. Not sure why they stop at 96, did he/she mis-hit it?

Seriously though, as Tarzen has put it, it is special to be part of the record.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

From the Straits Times, Thursday, May 21 2009:

S'pore teams dominant in early rounds

Reigning champions Singapore have stamped their authority on the Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships, sweeping their opening matches in both the men's and women's team events.

The women's team, led by world No. 11 Wang Yuegu, routed New Zealand and Norethern Ireland by 3-0 margins on Tuesday.

With qualification all but guaranteed, Singapore's youngsters were fielded to take on Guernsey in their final Group A match yesterday at the Scotstoun Sports Campus in Glasgow.

Yu Mengyu, 19, edged past Dawn Morgan 11-9, 11-5, 11-5 while Zena Sim, 18, beat Paula Le Ber 11-1, 11-6, 11-2.

Isabelle Li, 14, completed the rout by dispatching Kate Stubbington 1-2, 11-5, 11-1 to leave Singapore top of their pool...

(I believe Zena and Isabelle are Singapore-born and this seems to be one of the goals of STTA to expose our youngsters to international competitions. This could only augur well for the future of table-tennis in Singapore.) :)

#92 Loh, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

How many of them are actually S'porean BCers??..

..hmm, i wonder how many of them 600 participants are BCers??..:confused:

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's New MRT Circle Line

An extract of Singapore's MRT system taken from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Rapid_Transit_(Singapore)

"The Mass Rapid Transit or MRT is a rapid transit system that forms the backbone of the railway system in Singapore, spanning the entire city-state.

The initial section of the MRT, between Yio Chu Kang Station and Toa Payoh Station, opened in 1987 establishing itself as the second-oldest metro system in Southeast Asia, after Manila's LRT System.

The network has since grown rapidly as a result of Singapore's aim of developing a comprehensive rail network as the main backbone of the public transport system in Singapore with an average daily ridership of 1.564 million in FY07/08, about half of the bus network's 2.969 million in the same period

The MRT has 70 stations (1 not in operation) with 118.9 kilometres of lines and operates on standard gauge. The rail lines have been constructed by the Land Transport Authority, a department of the government of Singapore, which allocates operating concessions to the profit-based corporations SMRT Corporation and SBS Transit. These operators also run bus and taxi services, thus ensuring that there is a full integration of public transport services.

The MRT is complemented by the regional Light Rail Transit (LRT) systems that link MRT stations with HDB public housing estates. Services operate from about 5:30 am and usually end before 1 am daily with frequencies of approximately three to eight minutes, and services extended during festive periods."

Circle Line opens 5 stations

Yesterday 5 stations of the new Circle Line (CCL), namely, Marymount, Bishan, Lorong Chuan, Serangoon and Bartley, were opened to the public for the first time. The remaining 24 stations, including the Stadium, which is located outside the Singapore Indoor Stadium, a favourite venue for the Singapore (Badminton) Open, including this year's Open, will begin operations next year.

Costing $6.7 billion, the CCL will be a fully underground orbital line linking all radial lines leading to the city. The line will interchange with the North-South Line, East-West Line and North East Line.

The CCL will be 33.3 km long with 29 stations. Starting from the Dhoby Ghaut station, it will run through some of the busiest corridors in the city and end at HarbourFront station on the North East Line.

Some pictures of future stations can be found here:

http://www.lta.gov.sg/projects/index_proj_ccl.htm

The Straits Times
    May 29, 2009

Circle Line draws 40,000

Students find new line a time-saver; first shuttle bus rolls out to new station

By Yeo Ghim Lay & Goh Yi Han

NANYANG Junior College (NYJC) student Yeo Xin Yi, 18, got an extra 20 minutes of sleep yesterday morning, with the opening of the Circle Line cutting her daily commute to school.

Xin Yi, who lives in Yishun, used to take a train to Ang Mo Kio and then transfer to a bus to get to school in a 45-minute journey.

She now takes the train to Bishan and hops on a Circle Line train to Lorong Chuan station, at the doorstep of NYJC. 'The train's a lot more convenient compared to the bus,' she said.

She was among hundreds of students from four schools along the Circle Line who switched to the new trains yesterday.

Lorong Chuan, Bartley, Marymount, Serangoon and Bishan are the first five stations to open on the new line. The remaining 24 stations will begin operations from next year onwards.

The first day of operations saw some 40,000 commuters ride the Circle Line.

Besides NYJC, students and staff from Raffles Institution (Junior College), Maris Stella High School and Bartley Secondary School are reaping the benefits of the new line.

Instead of having to walk or take a bus from Bishan or Serangoon MRT stations, they can now take the train directly to school.

'I took less than 15 minutes to get to work today, compared to 40 minutes if I take a bus to Bishan and walk,' said Madam Linda Lai, a senior laboratory officer at RI(JC), who is in her 50s.

The school is also helping to build a covered walkway to link up with the station. This will be ready by the end of the June school holidays, before the new term.

Attached Files:

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I love travelling on the MRT when im in Spore, Even in HK or Japan. Its inexpensive at the same time i can see and observe different types of people. I would say Spore's MRT is a cleanest.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It's about time..

..and a long time coming for them to finally provide a train stop at the Kallang (SIS) Stadium!:cool:..That was or has been quite an inconvenience trying to reach SIS from the downtown (city) area... But i guess the railway will be under-water, similar to HK's sub-way route from HK Island (Central & Admiralty) to Kowloon's stations...

#98 ctjcad, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes as I understand it, the Circle Line is underground, perhaps the longest in Singapore at 33.3 km.

I think you were here about two years ago to watch the Singapore Open (?) and the Stadium MRT station was still being constructed. Next time you come, our MRT will transport you just outside the SIS, almost at the doorsteps. And most of the Kallang area, including the river and its vicinity, will be transformed into an exciting sports, recreation and amusement complex in about 5 years' time, I should think, since the current economic downturn has forced the stakeholders to hold back due to subdued financial support for time being.

I was rather disappointed that our new Sports Hub was similarly affected and construction has been delayed. Apart from a brand new sports stadium with running tracks and a soccer pitch, there will also be another indoor stadium, smaller than the SIS, to host indoor competitions such as basketball, gymnastics, netball, etc, apart from badminton I suppose.

So the Stadium MRT station will be a most welcomed feature to Kallang, bringing throngs of excited people to witness sports and games and for general recreation and amusement. :)

Some pictures taken during last year's Singapore Open showing the new yet-to-open Stadium MRT station, the Kallang River water activities and the buildings and sights around the area.

Attached Files:

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Partly correct..^^

..yes, i was in S'pore 2 yrs ago (after attending the WC in M'sia), but didn't watch the S'pore Open (only had 2+ hrs of transit time to quickly go into the city, find the mouth watering, highly-cholesterolized Stingray fish cooked in banana leaf dish and then quickly go back to the airport). I attended the S'pore Open in 2005, a yr after master kwun and his bride (along w/kwun's mom, if not mistaken) visited S'pore.
    Good to see the new subway station @ Kallang is up and literally within crawling distance from the SIS' concrete steps.:cool:
    *Hopefully i can stay longer in that part of Asia next yr & attend both the TC & UC and S'pore Open..;)

#100 ctjcad, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009